• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Great piece I never located. That was considered a classic cover before the other Hit covers came to be called that. Thx for the info.

I just looked at the image of the piece in the gallery, I am very troubled by this piece. I compared it to the Gerber image, and found some minor discrepancies. Why are there less bubbles on the original art than on the image posted in the Gerber. Remember there can be more art than in the Gerber image, but NEVER less. Where is the rest of the piece to the left of the figures where the printed info would have been added? There is no room for that shown in this image of the art. I am going to ask Richie Halegua his opinion. I consider Richie one of the best on original comic book art that I know. 

Keif Fromm is a notorious individual in the OA crowd. He is juuust before my time but I know enough to steer clear.

@Redbeard, thank you for spending some time and telling us some of the history that you are aware of.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Keif Fromm is a notorious individual in the OA crowd. He is juuust before my time but I know enough to steer clear.

@Redbeard, thank you for spending some time and telling us some of the history that you are aware of.

Thx. That Hit 5 cover just looks wrong based on my many, many GA covers I have owned in the past. Richie isn't home now, but when he calls back I'll have him check into it as well. BTW, the two Hit covers I owned was the Hit 6 and the Hit 11 covers.

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

Perhaps I am wrong on the Hit 5. The image in the gallery photo contains no logo making it possible. The 2nd image of him holding the piece at a show is not the piece of art. Possibly a stat.

The Hit 5 was sold in a Sotheby's or Christie's auction back in the 90s.  I've little doubt that Keif has an original.

15 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Keif Fromm owns the Hit #5. No idea how he wound up with it but it’s on his CAF page:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=70773

Funny, is anyone also currently getting an error message that the item "has been removed by owner" when clicking on the link?

Has the recent conversations, here on the board, triggered something?  hm

Hey folks.. I looked at the images and I no reason not to believe this is the original art, but it appears that a restorer has gotten his hands on this piece and done some pen & ink restoration that is incorrect in addition to removing some portions of the image (bubbles at top left)

some of the bubbles, particularly in the crook of the hero's neck have clearly been 'edited' as well as some others

the bubbles at top have clearly been removed & it does look as the top & bottom have been slightly trimmed.

I recall that Horvitz used to own this piece, having gotten it directly from Gill Fox, so maybe someone might ask Tom about the piece, but I do recall it was at least trimmed up to the image area & had no border

hit_5_comp.jpg

Edited by comicartcom

On 8/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, szavisca said:

Would be interested to know if you ever had, or know if any of the original cover art for Fiction House titles from the late 40s and 50s, is out there …  Rangers, Wings, Jungle Fight etc. I've seen plenty of the interior pages but not much else.  Also, were there a ton of FH file copies or any warehouse finds?

Greatly appreciate you sharing all this info with us.

I believe there are covers known to exist, in a collection that is still tightly held. The owner got the material direct from Jerry Iger in the 1960s. How many or what covers, I cannot say. I just know there are indeed covers known to exist. Iger had a warehouse of material that included comic books and art going all the way back to Planet Comics #1.

Henry Keller, who used to won a used book store in Brooklyn bought the comics from Iger sometime about 1966 or 67 and would have piles of them at the NY Cons until they were gone. The problem however is that while they looked mint, the interiors were darkening even at that time. I recall buying quite a few books in 1968 at the NY Con for $2 each under Planet #20 and $1 each above that mark. #1 was $5. Does anyone remember what Henry's pal's name was? Al-something

now, while I don't normally talk about my finds, in general terms I can say that finds I was involved in included a huge find of comics in the mid-70s at a paper recycler in NJ who had gotten some 60 pallets of comics that were emptied from a warehouse that had Gilberton & the 1960s Superior reprints. There was a full pallet of Classics #169 for instance. I eventually told Sparkle City about the deal after buying about one pallet of books myself (I had loads of that Phantom Lady reprint and the Avon reprints). This material was limited in scope and from a later period

the Fawcett/Standard warehouse deal (of which I am still selling stuff, more than 30 years later) had Standard comics of the 1950s era, but none of the Nedor titles of the 1940s. Fawcett comics/pulps/magazines went back all the way to the beginning of publication in 1909, 3 copies of each unbound and 3 copies of each bound for each brother. They even had file cabinets with premiums and the small statues, but not quantities. Wherever those boxes of the statues that you see listed on ebay or sold at Heritage came from I don't know. They were not part of the warehouse.

I also had a huge paperback warehouse find once and of course, there was the Warren magazine warehouse.

There were other warehouse deals.. but these are the only ones you can have :-P

Edited by comicartcom

On 8/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, Robot Man said:

All right, all right, forgive an old geezer with a bad memory. Yeah it was the Jungle #1 and I think the Science #1. I probably saw the Seven Seas covers too, but sadly wasn't a Baker fan then and glazed over. Any idea where the Seven Seas covers are now? Again, it was a long time ago but I think you let me man handle the MH Supe #1 on one of my trips over as well.

I got one of the Seven Seas covers from Ron (or did I get both?). Sold them 25 years ago. who knows where they are now

On 8/16/2018 at 7:06 PM, Robot Man said:

He was baaad. Very bad. Basically, he “bit the hand that fed him”. You had to have been here.

I’m are Redbeard would agree. This hobby has a long and checkerd past. It has always, even up today, been full of “characters”...

sure does Bob... always did

6 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I guess I did, but I don't remember if that was hanging in the house. Thx for the reminder. I was lucky because there weren't too many people after GA original comic cover art when I was collecting them. I remember that I usually paid $1K or less for the Lou Fine covers. I just remembered I also had several Joe Palooka covers, and a Katy Keene cover

In your defense, you were kind enough to sell it to an appreciative visitor back in 1995.  I would have like the Jungle 1 but it was a little out of my price range.

8 hours ago, Redbeard said:

The find was in the either in the late 1970s or the early 1980s. It was books from the late 1940s into the 1950s. It was all their titles. I don't remember seeing too many Space Actions. Very desirable title. But, all the horror, humor, western, war, funny animal and romance was found in plentiful supply. As usual with warehouse finds, page quality ranged from off white down.

(thumbsu

That's good news ….I can still continue to realistically dream of landing a nice copy of Baffling Mysteries 14 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/14/2018 at 4:20 PM, Redbeard said:

I should have added that I was a big Lou Fine collector. I sold Jon Berk some of his Wonderworld MH books including #3.

Oh, so that's where Jon got his Mile High Wonderworld books from.  (thumbsu

Were these just the early issues or a large portion of the entire run since I know that Jon auctioned off his entire MH Wonderworld run on CC last summer?  I guess if he got only some of the Church copies from you, he was able to put together the rest of the run from some other big collector or dealer.

I know he got the Church run of Mystery Men from Geppi and Overstreet during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening back in '95.  I mentioned to him at the time that I was primarily interested in only Mystery Men #1 through #10.  He commented that was the part of the run that he was really after, but it was either an all or nothing if he wanted to pick up the Mile High Mystery Men from Geppi and Overstreet at the time.  Looks like he most definitely made the right choice in the end by taking the whole thing.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Good to see you posting here Ritchie! Now if we can talk Johnny to join us...

I used to post a lot in the art forum Bob. After a number of people told me stuff like "Alex Raymond and Hal Foster are the worst hack artists that ever worked in comics. Todd McFarlane is king!" I figured I was wasting my time. I do use the boards to sell every so often

35 minutes ago, comicartcom said:

I used to post a lot in the art forum Bob. After a number of people told me stuff like "Alex Raymond and Hal Foster are the worst hack artists that ever worked in comics. Todd McFarlane is king!" I figured I was wasting my time. I do use the boards to sell every so often

Hal Foster is one of the most amazing artist,  I would love to have something from him. 

1 hour ago, comicartcom said:

Hang around in here Ritchie. GA is a lot more fun than the rest of the forums.