• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, kat123 said:

Ferd still owns the SS#5 cover. I purchased Beautiful Matt Baker Flamingo strip from him. Also Thanks to Rich I own the Crown #6 Ace of the Newsreels Splash.

Crown Comics. Ace of the Newsreel.jpg

Oooooh, that's purty! I would have to get a stat of the missing copy or crop the top out in the mat though. I've been looking for a copy of Crown #6 forever. Rare one!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Last time I think I saw Ron was a WonderCon a couple years ago. I had just picked up this beauty from Teddy at Superworld. Ron said it was part of a warehouse find. Any idea what what was found with this?

comgreatcomics1.jpg

This is an example of why I love warehouse finds …… no one could afford a book like this if it had the typical scarcity of books from this time period. Despite it's availability, I've never had a problem selling any copy I ever get. It's one of my favorite Cole covers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/26/2018 at 4:26 PM, Robot Man said:

Last time I think I saw Ron was a WonderCon a couple years ago. I had just picked up this beauty from Teddy at Superworld. Ron said it was part of a warehouse find. Any idea what what was found with this?

comgreatcomics1.jpg

I don't recall anything else in particular, I just know someone came across a stash of this book.

I've noticed that there are quite a few copies of Vault of Horror 12 on eBay. Usually it's a tough book to find. I wonder if Ron or perhaps another dealer knows if there was any kind of find lately.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, Larryw7 said:

I've noticed that there are quite a few copies of Vault of Horror 12 on eBay. Usually it's a tough book to find. I wonder if Ron or perhaps another dealer knows if there was any kind of find lately.

EC books are not scarce or rare with a few notable exemptions. The books were bought of the stands and treasured from that time unlike most other books. They are as popular today as when they were first published. I have had a few collections of EC books offered to me that were bought off the stands, read once very, very carefully and stored as one might store a valued treasure. TFTC 20 and VOH 12 would be equal in availability long term as far as I know. CSS 15 (#1) much tougher and a high grade Tales of Terror Annual 1 is very tough. Remember the Gaines file copies, and those issues that were never offered in the Gaines collection.

8 hours ago, Redbeard said:

EC books are not scarce or rare with a few notable exemptions. The books were bought of the stands and treasured from that time unlike most other books. They are as popular today as when they were first published. I have had a few collections of EC books offered to me that were bought off the stands, read once very, very carefully and stored as one might store a valued treasure. TFTC 20 and VOH 12 would be equal in availability long term as far as I know. CSS 15 (#1) much tougher and a high grade Tales of Terror Annual 1 is very tough. Remember the Gaines file copies, and those issues that were never offered in the Gaines collection.

Thanks, Ron! I just seem to be noticing certain books showing up on eBay that rarely, if ever, used to be listed. Another is Mysterious Adventures 22, and Journey into Unknown Worlds 36(first issue).

On 9/12/2018 at 1:05 AM, Larryw7 said:

Thanks, Ron! I just seem to be noticing certain books showing up on eBay that rarely, if ever, used to be listed. Another is Mysterious Adventures 22, and Journey into Unknown Worlds 36(first issue).

Larryw7, I too have noticed a lot of MA #22 out there, for whatever reason it's an available issue, like some GA issues tend to be. Got my copy awhile ago (I wish MA 7, 9 and 11 were as available! Need those.)

As far as CSS 15 (1) I assume Ron means the first Haunt of Fear #15 (1) -- yep, need that one still. Vault #12 (1) was always (since I first studied EC's) supposed to be the toughest of the New Trend horror trio (not counting any of the annuals, #1 and 2 being of course ridiculously tough.) And while TFTC #20 is the first TFTC, I really start that run with Crypt of Terror 17(1) through 19(3) in my mind, to me TFTC 20 has always been essentially the 4th issue. Then there's CP 15 and 16, have those as part of my Crypt run, but they aren't, kinda. :)

Edit to add, no, Ron meant the rare CSS #1 with CSS #15 (formerly Vault of Horror) overprinted inside the front cover on the indicia. Still of course, Haunt 15 (1) is a tough key issue!

Edited by originalisbest

On 8/17/2018 at 2:32 PM, manetteska said:

Currently, and in the past few months of completed sales, there appears to be quite a comparatively high number of This Magazine is Haunted #2 with "complimentary" stamped on the cover.

I've noticed quite a few TMIH #2's with the comp stamp for many years now; I'm pretty sure mine has one!

37 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Larryw7, I too have noticed a lot of MA #22 out there, for whatever reason it's an available issue, like some GA issues tend to be. Got my copy awhile ago (I wish MA 7, 9 and 11 were as available! Need those.)

As far as CSS 15 (1) I assume Ron means the first Haunt of Fear #15 (1) -- yep, need that one still. Vault #12 (1) was always (since I first studied EC's) supposed to be the toughest of the New Trend horror trio (not counting any of the annuals, #1 and 2 being of course ridiculously tough.) And while TFTC #20 is the first TFTC, I really start that run with Crypt of Terror 17(1) through 19(3) in my mind, to me TFTC 20 has always been essentially the 4th issue. Then there's CP 15 and 16, have those as part of my Crypt run, but they aren't, kinda. :)

There two versions of Crime Suspense #1. One with #15 and one with #1. The #1 version is fairly available. I have only seen one #15. Maybe ECed can chime in here. And talk about rare, there are 3 issues of Weird Suspenstories from Canada. Good luck with those...

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There two versions of Crime Suspense #1. One with #15 and one with #1. The #1 version is fairly available. I have only seen one #15. Maybe ECed can chime in here. And talk about rare, there are 3 issues of Weird Suspenstories from Canada. Good luck with those...

Ah yes, the CSS 1 (but with blacked out HOF info in the indicia.) That IS indeed scarce but IMO is not needed for a full run, vs. a "normal" issue of CSS 1. Yep, Canadian WSS are very tough -- but I believe even compared to them, the Tales of Terror annual #1 is king of the toughies. I'd love to own one but not expecting to; however I will one day get a first Vault and first Haunt. :-)

1 hour ago, originalisbest said:

Ah yes, the CSS 1 (but with blacked out HOF info in the indicia.) That IS indeed scarce but IMO is not needed for a full run, vs. a "normal" issue of CSS 1. Yep, Canadian WSS are very tough -- but I believe even compared to them, the Tales of Terror annual #1 is king of the toughies. I'd love to own one but not expecting to; however I will one day get a first Vault and first Haunt. :-)

Then you have the case of the EC magazine Shock Illustrated #3. Only 100 existed. Not technically a comic book but on par with TOT #1 as the rareist EC. I have never owned one or even seen a copy in person. 

Haunt #15 is available occasionaly if you have the funds. I have seen 3 or 4 in the past year. Vault #12 is a bit of a challenge though. I think I've seen one for sale in the past year. Again, if you have the dough and aren't picky about condition...

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Then you have the case of the EC magazine Shock Illustrated #3. Only 100 existed. Not technically a comic book but on par with TOT #1 as the rareist EC. I have never owned one or even seen a copy in person. 

Haunt #15 is available occasionaly if you have the funds. I have seen 3 or 4 in the past year. Vault #12 is a bit of a challenge though. I think I've seen one for sale in the past year. Again, if you have the dough and aren't picky about condition...

I hear you on the Shock Illustrated #3 being technically limited in number, but it seems like enough of those are around if you want to pay up. Not so if hunting for a TOT annual #1, you have to be lucky! I missed my chance at a nice Haunt 15(1) a few years ago, I'll see another eventually. But lately, I've seen more Vault 12's offered on eBay than I've ever noted before. :-)

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

here's a 15.

Crime suspenstories 15.JPG

12 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

here's a 15.

Crime suspenstories 15.JPG

Thanks so much Hap for posting it! That's a beauty, and even more special than it might be otherwise, since the overprint shifted and you can see both old and new indicia clearly. So glad they didn't drop Vault as a title (I misremembered that "Haunt" was the title overprinted, it was "Vault") -- but kept it going and made Crime it's own run! And Vault #15 turned out to be an iconic cover, at that. My apologies to @Redbeard and @Robot Man for mixing up Haunt 15 (1) with the discussion when clearly this CSS 15 (1) was what was meant. The joys of EC numbering! In the days before the official checklists came out, must've been a headache for Fan-Addicts.

While I LOVE the idea of getting a CSS #1 with the #15 indicia overprinted, having just a regular flavor CSS #1 will do nicely (and I still need one.) :-)

Edited by originalisbest
Spelling

On 9/11/2018 at 7:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Supposedly EC king Gary Arlington could never find a TOT Annual #1 in any grade. I've had a couple complete or very near complete EC collections and have only had this one. Who cares what the grade is? What makes this one extra special is it's contents: HOF #15 (#1), VOH #12 (#1), TFTC #20 (#1) and Weird Science #13 (#2). Got it from Moondog many moons ago. One of my favorite top 10 books!

Oh, have had Crime Suspense #1 but never seen a #15 (#1)...

comtalesofterror1.jpg

I'm looking for all the EC annuals again. Love em...

On 9/11/2018 at 11:05 PM, Larryw7 said:

No warehouse finds on these books that I know of, but I'll agree they are more common than other issues in their titles. Guide modifications are definitely needed on Congo Bill. I was thinking of bidding on a #4. When I went to check if any were offered on eBay I found 8 of them offered. That is definitely not what I would call scarce.