• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Not as far as I know on that issue. However, there is one issue of that title that there must of been a find at one time.

What is the first horror comic book Bob? If you say Eerie 1 by Avon, you would be wrong. How about Classic Comics 13 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. That is definitely a horror comic book, and it was published approximately 4 years before Eerie 1. Then how about the Hunchback of Notre Dame, 3 Mysteries by Poe, and of course the classic Frankenstein. All were published before Eerie 1

I still go with Eerie #1. First book fully devoted to horror and all original stories. The Classics are adaptations of "actual literature" not created in the first place for comic books. Great books but still adaptations. 

There are also the arguments of earlier books that have stories with a horror "slant" Early Caps, Yellowjacket and others come to mind but they are still superhero books.

Just my two cents...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

6 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Not as far as I know on that issue. However, there is one issue of that title that there must of been a find at one time.

What is the first horror comic book Bob? If you say Eerie 1 by Avon, you would be wrong. How about Classic Comics 13 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. That is definitely a horror comic book, and it was published approximately 4 years before Eerie 1. Then how about the Hunchback of Notre Dame, 3 Mysteries by Poe, and of course the classic Frankenstein. All were published before Eerie 1

I still go with Eerie #1. First book fully devoted to horror and all original stories. The Classics are adaptations of "actual literature" not created in the first place for comic books. Great books but still adaptations. 

There are also the arguments of earlier books that have stories with a horror "slant" Early Caps, Yellowjacket and others come to mind but they are still superhero books.

Just my two cents...

Agree with RM

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Just my two cents...

I will second that.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:03 PM, ThothAmon said:

Man. What a great thread to read. Believe I’ve bought many books off eBay over the years from Redbeard. Hoping Redbeard is doing well recovering from the transplant. Got a new hip myself two years back and recovery is a long process. 

I'm now 7 months out from surgery and all is going well. Thx for kind wishes. On Sunday, we start offering our CGC graded Golden Age books at auction in our store. We just resumed doing auctions after a lengthy break after surgery. BTW - https://www.ebay.com/str/redbeardsbookden.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:34 PM, Robot Man said:

Just my two cents...

I like Bob's (Overstreet) comment to me. This entire genre would probably not exist if EC did not happen. When they got going, there were many companies that tried to pile on to the success EC was having.

10 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Redbeard assuming all the recent Church books being auctioned off by HA are from one collectors collection, any thoughts on so many Mile Highs now being 'scattered' out among what is most likely many hands ? 

10 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Redbeard assuming all the recent Church books being auctioned off by HA are from one collectors collection, any thoughts on so many Mile Highs now being 'scattered' out among what is most likely many hands ? 

Having the Church copies scattered to many different collectors is neither good or bad. I believe that most of the Church copies being offered by Heritage are from Rose Verzyl from the late John Verzyl collection. I'm sure she has a huge hord including all the Timely issues. The positive spin on the market for the future in having them scattered among many collector's means there is no possible threat that a large collection of these will flood the market ensuring their future values.

2 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

The positive spin on the market for the future in having them scattered among many collector's means there is no possible threat that a large collection of these will flood the market ensuring their future values.

It will also help their survival.  Fires and floods have wiped out many collections over the decades.  

On 12/8/2018 at 7:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Good to hear you are on the mend Ron!  :headbang:

Love how CGC changed the site. Since I was multi-tasking at the time, it took me awhile to figure out where they had moved the chat board link.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Good to hear you are on the mend Ron!  :headbang:

Did you hear that ComicConnect in their last auction had some Ace horror cover art up for auction? I forgot about it until it was too late. By the time I remembered they were all ready up to auctioning off Walking Dead art which both of us care less about. I wanted to try and get those horror covers. I used to own a few of them before that I wanted to rebuy. Wonder what they went for. I was willing to spend a bunch for those, darn... I doubt I will ever have a chance to rebuy the Lou Fine, Reed Crandall or Matt Baker covers I used to own.

Just now, sagii said:

@Redbeard :hi: Happy New Year

What are your musings on the Allentown Pedigree?

Sell any, own any? How often do they circulate in your experiences? Is there one owner to a bulk of the little over 100 book collection? 

Not sure on Allentown. That collection surfaced after I had amassed most of my personal collection back then. When I was originally collecting, the term pedigree had not been used. The collections we had heard of were of course the Church (Mile High), the Reilly (San Francisco), Cosmic Aeroplane, Larson and Poughkeepsie.

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Did you hear that ComicConnect in their last auction had some Ace horror cover art up for auction? I forgot about it until it was too late. By the time I remembered they were all ready up to auctioning off Walking Dead art which both of us care less about. I wanted to try and get those horror covers. I used to own a few of them before that I wanted to rebuy. Wonder what they went for. I was willing to spend a bunch for those, darn... I doubt I will ever have a chance to rebuy the Lou Fine, Reed Crandall or Matt Baker covers I used to own.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=790622

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=790613

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=790576

4 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Matt Baker cover? Which cover did ComicConnect auction..