• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, kat123 said:

Matt Baker cover? Which cover did ComicConnect auction..

Sorry for the confusion. Matt Baker did no Ace covers. I was talking about things I used to own that I am interested in rebuying again. The Baker covers I owned was Seven Seas 5 & 6.

On 1/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, Timely said:

Thx so very, very much. Yes, I used to own this one for many, many years.  It hung in front of my computer desk. I bought it from Bob Selvig when he used to be at ACBC. I sold it to Ferd in Canada many years ago. I will keep an eye on that piece for sure. Let me know if there are any Lou Fine Hit covers, Crandall National covers or the cover to Jungle Comics #1. Thanks again.

x

Edited by adamstrange

14 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Thx so very, very much. Yes, I used to own this one for many, many years.  It hung in front of my computer desk. I bought it from Bob Selvig when he used to be at ACBC. I sold it to Ferd in Canada many years ago. I will keep an eye on that piece for sure. Let me know if there are any Lou Fine Hit covers, Crandall National covers or the cover to Jungle Comics #1. Thanks again.

I was offer this cover years ago, and Ferd mention he bought it directly from Jerry Iger in the 80's. lol

On 1/12/2019 at 12:15 PM, Redbeard said:

I guess my new nickname is Jerry Iger!?!

BTW, I bought this cover from Bob Selvig when he was in LA working for ACBC. I also bought the Hit Comics 11 cover from Bob. I later bought the Seven Seas 6 cover from Terry Stroud at ACBC about a year or two later. I don't know where Bob and Terry got the Seven Seas covers. Next time I see Terry, I'll ask him. 

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

BTW, I bought this cover from Bob Selvig when he was in LA working for ACBC. I also bought the Hit Comics 11 cover from Bob. I later bought the Seven Seas 6 cover from Terry Stroud at ACBC about a year or two later. I don't know where Bob and Terry got the Seven Seas covers. Next time I see Terry, I'll ask him. 

Thanks for the info, did you own any other Baker art besides the covers? 

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Sadly, I really doubt he will remember anymore...:insane:

7A0AB930-5F5A-44A9-9931-DDD2094607E4.jpeg

Probably doesn't belong here on this thread, but here goes anyway. I understand why CGC is not recognizing signed books as far as stating it is an actual autograph on the holder, but I don't understand their current practice that is in place. I know they are marketing the Signature series books, but what about books that are signed by artists no longer with us. Example - you have two copies of WSF 29 - Gaines copies. You know they are both identical and perfect. However, you were lucky enough to have Frank Frazetta sign the cover of one of them. Did you know that if you send them both into CGC, one will come back say a Universal 9.8. However, the other copy will come back a 9.8, with the note that there is a name on the cover, and it will be in a QUALIFIED holder. Now which of the two would a normal person want. Of course the Frazetta signed copy since he rarely did autographs. But, since that is now in a Qualified holder, it will now be worth far, far less. At the same time, if you buy a copy of a book that has Ruth or Ben, or any other name on the cover, it will be graded and placed in a Universal holder. This practice makes no sense to me. Why not put them all in a universal holder with the grade and the one with a name on the cover has that mentioned as a comment on the label. The only reason I can think of is that CGC is worried that they will not get the premium markup they hope for with their Signature Series books.

7 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Probably doesn't belong here on this thread, but here goes anyway. I understand why CGC is not recognizing signed books as far as stating it is an actual autograph on the holder, but I don't understand their current practice that is in place. I know they are marketing the Signature series books, but what about books that are signed by artists no longer with us. Example - you have two copies of WSF 29 - Gaines copies. You know they are both identical and perfect. However, you were lucky enough to have Frank Frazetta sign the cover of one of them. Did you know that if you send them both into CGC, one will come back say a Universal 9.8. However, the other copy will come back a 9.8, with the note that there is a name on the cover, and it will be in a QUALIFIED holder. Now which of the two would a normal person want. Of course the Frazetta signed copy since he rarely did autographs. But, since that is now in a Qualified holder, it will now be worth far, far less. At the same time, if you buy a copy of a book that has Ruth or Ben, or any other name on the cover, it will be graded and placed in a Universal holder. This practice makes no sense to me. Why not put them all in a universal holder with the grade and the one with a name on the cover has that mentioned as a comment on the label. The only reason I can think of is that CGC is worried that they will not get the premium markup they hope for with their Signature Series books.

CGC is inconsistent in their application of any rule in this regard too.  With regards to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 first print, unwitnessed signed copies by Eastman and Laird, of which there are many get a blue label universal holder, with a label note of “Kevin Eastman written in ink on inside cover” etc.

I’ve never seen an official explanation as to why this book is exempted from their normal rules.

I believe that CGC in their zeal to promote their Signature Series books feel they can get away with this move of not placing signed books in a blue label with a note saying there is a signature on the book. This would not endanger them for any possible litigation. However, one of the consequences of their current policy is that one can no longer state they have the best copy even if it is the current highest graded copy. There may be better copies out there that will never be graded because they were signed by the creator/artist. Think about that one for awhile. The big push for these record prices is because people believe they are buying the best copy, or one of the best copies rather than just the highest graded copy despite everyone just stating it is the highest graded copy. See if these auctions houses can get these record prices if they advertised the item as the highest graded copy, but there may be better copies ungraded. Yes, this is implied, but most that buy these books do not have this understanding. 

What infuriates me further on this subject is any known comic writer/artist that signs your book is now defacing your book and devaluing the item since Qualified graded books go for way, way less than Universal graded books. Yet, if the book has the name Eldon, or some other collector's name on the cover versus Frank Frazetta, Jack Kirby, Lou Fine, Hal Foster, Alex Raymond, etc., the book is placed in a blue holder without this devaluation aspect. Now this makes no sense at all. 

On 2/13/2019 at 10:19 PM, Redbeard said:

I believe that CGC in their zeal to promote their Signature Series books feel they can get away with this move of not placing signed books in a blue label with a note saying there is a signature on the book. This would not endanger them for any possible litigation. However, one of the consequences of their current policy is that one can no longer state they have the best copy even if it is the current highest graded copy. There may be better copies out there that will never be graded because they were signed by the creator/artist. Think about that one for awhile. The big push for these record prices is because people believe they are buying the best copy, or one of the best copies rather than just the highest graded copy despite everyone just stating it is the highest graded copy. See if these auctions houses can get these record prices if they advertised the item as the highest graded copy, but there may be better copies ungraded. Yes, this is implied, but most that buy these books do not have this understanding. 

What infuriates me further on this subject is any known comic writer/artist that signs your book is now defacing your book and devaluing the item since Qualified graded books go for way, way less than Universal graded books. Yet, if the book has the name Eldon, or some other collector's name on the cover versus Frank Frazetta, Jack Kirby, Lou Fine, Hal Foster, Alex Raymond, etc., the book is placed in a blue holder without this devaluation aspect. Now this makes no sense at all. 

I’m not sure how much of a market there would be for them to do it but a Authenticate My Autographs type service done by a professional prior to putting it in a holder to verify its authenticity might be a good road for them along with extra income for the service. There are enough signed books out there by deceased creators to not interfere with their signature series. I know because I own more than a few myself. Autograph identification is not a new science in the book field. So perhaps one day they might consider this secondary market to join there signature series vs considering the previously signed books as “competition”?

My thoughts...

Edited by N e r V

Ron, in your scenerio if you had a Universal 9.8 WSF 29 and a Frazetta signed Qualified 9.8 WSF 29, both for sale you would definitely price the autographed copy higher. You certainly wouldn't sell it for less. Most knowledgeable collectors would pay more for the autographed copy knowing that you are an expert in that regard.

So why do we assume that a CGC Green label means it is worth less?

My point is that CGC has stated that they do not authenticate signatures unless they witness them. They do not want to get into the signature authentication business because it is a difficult industry riddled with forgeries and prone to much fraud. If anyone is dealing with signatures then they shouldn't be relying on CGC to authenticate them.

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

I’m not sure how much of a market there would be for them to do it but a Authenticate My Autographs type service done by a professional prior to putting it in a holder to verify its authenticity might be a good road for them along with extra income for the service. There are enough signed books out there by deceased creators to not interfere with their signature series. I know because I own more than a few myself. Autograph identification is not a new science in the book field. So perhaps one day they might consider this secondary market to join there signature series vs considering the previously signed books as “competition”?

My thoughts...

I believe their main competitor does this. 

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Ron, in your scenerio if you had a Universal 9.8 WSF 29 and a Frazetta signed Qualified 9.8 WSF 29, both for sale you would definitely price the autographed copy higher. You certainly wouldn't sell it for less. Most knowledgeable collectors would pay more for the autographed copy knowing that you are an expert in that regard.

So why do we assume that a CGC Green label means it is worth less?

My point is that CGC has stated that they do not authenticate signatures unless they witness them. They do not want to get into the signature authentication business because it is a difficult industry riddled with forgeries and prone to much fraud. If anyone is dealing with signatures then they shouldn't be relying on CGC to authenticate them.

Seems like there are a lot of Jack Kirby unwitnessed (because pre-CGC) signatures out there.  As far as I can recall, these are given blue labels with the "'Jack Kirby' written on first page" or whatever label note. Maybe it depends on high-grade v. mid-grade?