• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Frazetta must have done some witnessed signings, because I have this one. 

famous_funnies_210_ss96_zpsleialsry.JPG

That is killer!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Frazetta must have done some witnessed signings, because I have this one. 

famous_funnies_210_ss96_zpsleialsry.JPG

Yes he did and I am so envious - that is amazing.  There is a thread in the Sig forum showing off his SS books.  I have most if not all of his portfolios with his sig but I would really like to have FF SS book - again, awesome book, Squeggs.  

On 2/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, MrBedrock said:

Ron, in your scenerio if you had a Universal 9.8 WSF 29 and a Frazetta signed Qualified 9.8 WSF 29, both for sale you would definitely price the autographed copy higher. You certainly wouldn't sell it for less. Most knowledgeable collectors would pay more for the autographed copy knowing that you are an expert in that regard.

So why do we assume that a CGC Green label means it is worth less?

My point is that CGC has stated that they do not authenticate signatures unless they witness them. They do not want to get into the signature authentication business because it is a difficult industry riddled with forgeries and prone to much fraud. If anyone is dealing with signatures then they shouldn't be relying on CGC to authenticate them.

Sorry Rick, but I disagree. The Qualified label will definitely sell for less than the Universal label if both books are the same and have the same grade/quality. I am constantly checking the auctions and this is just a fact. To the other poster that mentioned CBCS does do signed books, there is also a problem there. I am good friends with Steve Borock, but CBCS books sell for less than similar CGC graded books. Thank you Rick for posting that Marvel Mystery beauty signed by Schomburg. That CGC label is exactly what I want CGC to do with all unauthenticated signed books. Put it in a blue label with the note - Alex Schomburg name on the cover. Since I know that a Qualified label sells for less, it is almost like CGC is declaring that an unauthenticated copy with a signature you know is true since you obtained it personally from the artist is in CGC view a defaced book by implication. BTW Rick, I am still not selling it at this time, but do you still need the Subby 2 should I ever decide to sell. I have you down in my mind as first on the list for that book.

@Redbeard Here's a blue label example, but i guess this one got a universal because the name was written on the inside.

When i got this from CLink a couple years back, they mentioned the seller claims to have sent a few books to Jim Mooney and had him sign them inside if i remember correctly. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by sagii

7 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Redbeard Here's a blue label example, but i guess this one got a universal because the name was written on the inside.

When i got this from CLink a couple years back, they mentioned the seller claims to have sent a few books to Jim Mooney and had him sign them inside if i remember correctly. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

As I stated in my post to Rick, this is what I feel that CGC should do with all unauthenticated signed books. I object to the new practice of placing these books in Qualified labels which sell for less.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:21 PM, Redbeard said:
On 1/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, Timely said:

Thx so very, very much. Yes, I used to own this one for many, many years.  It hung in front of my computer desk. I bought it from Bob Selvig when he used to be at ACBC. I sold it to Ferd in Canada many years ago. I will keep an eye on that piece for sure.

Anybody else surprised that this beautiful Matt baker cover manged to fetched only $45,600 by the time it was all said and done:

Original Comic Art:Covers, Matt Baker Seven Seas Comics #5 Cover Original Art(Universal Phoenix Features, 1947)....

On 2/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, Redbeard said:
On 2/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, sagii said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

As I stated in my post to Rick, this is what I feel that CGC should do with all unauthenticated signed books. I object to the new practice of placing these books in Qualified labels which sell for less.

+1

Totally agree with your point here.  (thumbsu

Unfortunately, when it comes to CCG and their business model, it seems their services are always designed to try squeeze every last dollar out of a book.  :censored:

Allowing unauthenticated signed books to be treated the same as Universal books could end up hurting their top and bottom line by eliminating the need for submittors to spend the extra dollars for their Signature Series.  What could make matters worse though is the possibility that CGC might even treat the unauthenticated "Frazetta" signature as a defect and downgrade for it accordingly.  Now, that would be a double whammy from a grading point of view on books with unauthenticated signatures. hm  :(

I'm sure that CGC decision to place unauthenticated signed books in a Qualified holder is profit motivated by CGC. They want to push their Signature series. Too bad they care less that they have effectively decided that unauthorized signed books are worth less because of this decision. It is a shame for the collector that has gone to conventions to get their books signed, now have CGC saying their books have been defaced and are worth less. How about any artists commenting? How do you feel that they are telling collector's to not get anything signed by you as it detracts from the value of the collectible. There are many, many people out there that make their living by attending conventions signing autographs for their fans. Sorry Wayne Gretzky, please don't sign this hockey stick. It devalues the hockey stick!?!?

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

It is a shame for the collector that has gone to conventions to get their books signed, now have CGC saying their books have been defaced and are worth less. How about any artists commenting? How do you feel that they are telling collector's to not get anything signed by you as it detracts from the value of the collectible.

I remembered attending a special event during one of the SD Cons back in the mid  to latter part of the 90's whereby CBM was hosting a special dinner for all of the GA DC creators from the 30's and 40's.  I remembered many of the attendees there happily lining up with their Limited Special CBM Edition to get their FREE autographs from those GA greats like Vin Sullivan, Julie Schwartz, Creig Flessel, Fred Guardineer, Jack Burnley, etc.  :cloud9:

Needless to say, that unverified autographed filled copy of CBM will always be worth more to me than any CGC verified Signature copy could have been worth.  Especially since most of those GA DC founding pioneers are sadly no longer with us today.  :frown:

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I could care less what this is worth. Can't be slabbed anyway. Man, I had fun lugging this around...

madbook2.jpg

A great piece, RM. Some real heavyweights in the field here. I absolutely love the Aragones signature and doodle! It totally anchors the page.   :cloud9:

On 3/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, Robot Man said:

My favorite is Mort Drucker. What a classic signature. I tried to get Feldstein to do his in his old EC style but he was busy and said he couldn’t it. Marie Severin is also cool.

Just got a rare UG back from CGC. It is the way I wish they would do all signatures. It is in a universal holder with the note - names and addresses on the inside front cover. I know this is not a flaw but the names and addresses of those that draw/produced the book. To me and most collector's, that is a perk not a negative.

Just now, Redbeard said:

Just got a rare UG back from CGC. It is the way I wish they would do all signatures. It is in a universal holder with the note - names and addresses on the inside front cover. I know this is not a flaw but the names and addresses of those that draw/produced the book. To me and most collector's, that is a perk not a negative.

Should have added the title - Sky Bums and Space Gypsies by Kris Jackson. Very tough to find, and it is not for sale. After all I still collect!

On 8/14/2018 at 6:37 PM, Redbeard said:

How about Space Adventures 13? Same find as the Thing 16. There was also many copies of Ghost Rider 1, but you really don't see that offered too often. Nice book, so those found good homes in collections. I know there were quite a few copies of high grade Silver Streak 6, Daredevil Battles Hitler, and Police Comics 1. But, once again, these books were placed in good homes and not offered often. It amazes me how many Dell Poughkeepsie copies there were that have found homes. Yes, they are offered some, but there were so many copies of some of these available at one time. Mark it up to strong demand for these books that keeps the flood gates closed.

Robert Bell might have gotten into that find. For some reason I always thought it was a Lev Gleason file copy find vs. a warehouse find.

He had multiple Daredevil Battles Hitler, Silver Streak 6 (and 7 too, I believe).

When he relocated down here (South Florida) I got to see what he had left and he still had multiples of each.

On 10/10/2018 at 5:24 PM, buttock said:

To my (very flawed) recollection I remember Million Year Picnic ads where he talked about a 3-deep cache of Batman 1-3 that he found.  I think they were in old OSPGs.  I'll see if I can find them some time.  

I bought my Batman 1 from Jerry Weist circa 1984. Perhaps it was one of those.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, circumstances said:

Robert Bell might have gotten into that find. For some reason I always thought it was a Lev Gleason file copy find vs. a warehouse find.

He had multiple Daredevil Battles Hitler, Silver Streak 6 (and 7 too, I believe).

When he relocated down here (South Florida) I got to see what he had left and he still had multiples of each.

Yes, I knew about the Lev Gleason copies that Robert Bell had. Bob Overstreet told me that Bruce Hamilton had some of those probably from Robert. A west coast dealer had several copies of Police Comics 1. All of those copies have long ago been absorbed into collector's hands. Richie (Halegua) remembers George with a stack of each issue of all the Fiction House books. Where are all those now? Ditto with all those Poughkeepsie copies.