• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

It seems that the knowledge of warehouse finds of the past has been lost except for us old timers. I base this statement on the bidding and pricing I see on books that are listed as scarce that are for GA books rather common. Did you know that their was a major Dell warehouse find called Poughkeepsie. In the early 1980s you couldn't do a show back east with out seeing 4 Color one shot file copies at every booth. There were multiples of most titles including Duck and Mouse one shots. PCH books are very hot right now, but are you aware that there were Ace, Nedor/Better and Harvey warehouse finds that had multiples of all the horror books and in the case of Nedor/Better that means yes those treasured Startling, Thrilling and Fighting Yank books were all  there in multiples? If you are using the term scarce to mean tougher to find than a SA book, that would be true. But, in terms of what we have always meant in the past, it is untrue. One of the most satisfying aspects of collecting GA books is that you can't go to 1-2 shows and complete your collection, the only variable is price. When you collect GA books it can take several years if not your entire collecting lifetime to complete a title or a publisher. If you can't wait, then collect SA books to present books, GA books is not where you belong. More to come... Best, Ron Pussell, aka Redbeard.

Welcome to the boards!

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I remember the "Poughkeepsie file copies" from getting the catalogs of the Barks' dealer (what was the name?) who did the Barks' Collector back in the 1980

John Nichols was his name.  It may take a while, but it comes back.

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

It seems that the knowledge of warehouse finds of the past has been lost except for us old timers. I base this statement on the bidding and pricing I see on books that are listed as scarce that are for GA books rather common. Did you know that their was a major Dell warehouse find called Poughkeepsie. In the early 1980s you couldn't do a show back east with out seeing 4 Color one shot file copies at every booth. There were multiples of most titles including Duck and Mouse one shots. PCH books are very hot right now, but are you aware that there were Ace, Nedor/Better and Harvey warehouse finds that had multiples of all the horror books and in the case of Nedor/Better that means yes those treasured Startling, Thrilling and Fighting Yank books were all  there in multiples? If you are using the term scarce to mean tougher to find than a SA book, that would be true. But, in terms of what we have always meant in the past, it is untrue. One of the most satisfying aspects of collecting GA books is that you can't go to 1-2 shows and complete your collection, the only variable is price. When you collect GA books it can take several years if not your entire collecting lifetime to complete a title or a publisher. If you can't wait, then collect SA books to present books, GA books is not where you belong. More to come... Best, Ron Pussell, aka Redbeard.

Welcome Ron. Good to see you here!

4 hours ago, Redbeard said:

PCH books are very hot right now, but are you aware that there were Ace, Nedor/Better and Harvey warehouse finds that had multiples of all the horror books and in the case of Nedor/Better that means yes those treasured Startling, Thrilling and Fighting Yank books were all  there in multiples?

Hey Ron.......Welcome to the Boards here.  :hi:

So, who's got all of the early supposedly rare HTF Ace and Nedors like Ace Comics 11 with the first Phantom or Startling 10 with the first appearance of the Fighting Yank? :wishluck:

Or are the books you are talking about from the latter part of their publishing days, as opposed to the 30's and early 40's?  Just wondering if the Ace and Nedors also went back to their early publishing time period, as I believe some of the Poughkeepsie's did go all the way back to the late 30's? hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

That's it for tonight, back tomorrow. I get tired early and off to bed by 10:00 at the latest. Got to get my beauty sleep. Actually, the liver transplant recovery process is slow. I am told you won't feel like yourself until after 7 months and it has been only 3 months at present.

I wish you a speedy recovery. :foryou:

We're lucky to have you share on the Boards.

My favorite story about you is the one John Verzyl told me about accidentally peeing on your shoes at the shrine show! He said you were pissed! No pun intended!

I'd love to hear your version of that event!

Edited by Timely

9 hours ago, fifties said:

Great thread, and good to see Redbeard here. I think I bought from him ages ago, lol. 

So speaking of warehouse finds, there was a find of The Thing, #16 some years back, which is why they are so plentiful, and by that virtue don't command the bucks the other issues of the title do.

Other GA warehouse finds:

Captain Marvel Adventures 51

Green Lama 7

Yellowjacket  7?

Great to have you here Ron.  Thank you for contributing this information.  I've asked similar questions in the original art forum and nobody wanted to reveal anything.  The history of fandom and collecting is something we should all be familiar with.  I had never heard of a Nedor find.  Do you recall the time frame for these?  

BTW, congratulations on the liver transplant.  No small feat!  I'm a gastroenterologist, so I'm familiar with what you had to/have to overcome.  

44 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Other GA warehouse finds:

Captain Marvel Adventures 51

Green Lama 7

Yellowjacket  7?

In the early nineties I picked up a beautiful copy of Captain Marvel Adventures #50 at the local LA show. Later I heard it was part of a warehouse find and you see nice copied for sale quite often. It would be great to hear the history on that. Warehouse finds are good for everyone because it allows fans to get nice books at a decent price; just don’t be buyer #1!

13 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I remember back in the seventies when the dealers started whispering about the Poughkeepsie file copies. I suspect I have a couple including my Peter Pan Treasure Chest which was clearly unread and sold to me as a file copy back in ‘77 or ‘78. Later I picked up a late forties WDCS that was also unblemished. I wish I got more but I had limited high school job funds at the time.

Bakerstowne, the Long Island distribution center was auctioned off piecemeal by them. Archie, Seaboard, about 1,000,000 classics illustrated books included many with the original wraps. Hundreds of Katy Keene pin-ups and a lot of books that were supposedly scarce (might still be listed as scarce in Overstreet...like Tom Terrific.

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not really warehouse finds but here are some file copies

comroyrogers87a.jpg

comfunnies59.jpg

Yes, I believe these might actually be the Poughkeepsie Office File Copies and not really part of any warehouse find per se?  hm

In other words, possibly single HG copies of these particular issues, as opposed to multiple copies of the same issue which would be the case with a true warehouse find? (shrug)