• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, fifties said:

Great thread, and good to see Redbeard here. I think I bought from him ages ago, lol. 

So speaking of warehouse finds, there was a find of The Thing, #16 some years back, which is why they are so plentiful, and by that virtue don't command the bucks the other issues of the title do.

How about Space Adventures 13? Same find as the Thing 16. There was also many copies of Ghost Rider 1, but you really don't see that offered too often. Nice book, so those found good homes in collections. I know there were quite a few copies of high grade Silver Streak 6, Daredevil Battles Hitler, and Police Comics 1. But, once again, these books were placed in good homes and not offered often. It amazes me how many Dell Poughkeepsie copies there were that have found homes. Yes, they are offered some, but there were so many copies of some of these available at one time. Mark it up to strong demand for these books that keeps the flood gates closed.

Redbeard! The one and only ! I'm so glad you joined!

I have fond memories of visiting "The Book Den" in Nevada... My parents would bring my brother and me to your book den while they vacationed at the Hyatt in North Shore. My dad tried to buy one of your antique book cases years ago also. (It wasn't for sale.)

You (finally) sold me your Sup #18 SF copy a few years ago for which I'm eternally grateful and still sits safely in my collection.

Will love catching up old friend.

CZ

Edited by clarkkentdds

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Ron.......Welcome to the Boards here.  :hi:

So, who's got all of the early supposedly rare HTF Ace and Nedors like Ace Comics 11 with the first Phantom or Startling 10 with the first appearance of the Fighting Yank? :wishluck:

Or are the books you are talking about from the latter part of their publishing days, as opposed to the 30's and early 40's?  Just wondering if the Ace and Nedors also went back to their early publishing time period, as I believe some of the Poughkeepsie's did go all the way back to the late 30's? hm

You would be correct. These warehouse finds were mostly post war and 50s stuff. BTW, Ace Comics is an a McKay pub, not an Ace pub. The Nedor find was more of the Schomburg cover stuff. I can't remember how early the Fighting Yank went, but timeframe wise think late 1940s into the 1950s.

Just now, Redbeard said:

You would be correct. These warehouse finds were mostly post war and 50s stuff. BTW, Ace Comics is an a McKay pub, not an Ace pub. The Nedor find was more of the Schomburg cover stuff. I can't remember how early the Fighting Yank went, but timeframe wise think late 1940s into the 1950s.

I should have added that I was a big Lou Fine collector. I sold Jon Berk some of his Wonderworld MH books including #3. I had some of his Black Condor MH stuff and several of his National and Hit MH cover books. I collected Lou Fine original cover art back then. I owned Hit 5, the classic Hit bear cover by Lou, Jungle Comics 1 and Science Comics 1. Also had a couple of Matt Baker covers from Seven Seas 5 & 6. I used to own several other artists covers as well such as Reed Crandall, Johnny Craig, L B Cole, Russ Heath, Bill Woggon, etc. Funny thing now that they all have been sold, my wife a few years ago asked me why I sold those. She said she liked them. I told her why the heck didn't you tell me that back then!?! BTW, to Bob Barrett, I never owned the Planet Comics 1 cover, George Hagenaurer owned that. You must be thinking of the Jungle Comics 1 cover by Will Eisner and Lou Fine.

17 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I wish you a speedy recovery. :foryou:

We're lucky to have you share on the Boards.

More than happy to be able to do this. For so many years I was one of Bob Overstreet's senior advisors. Been friends with Bob for a long, long time. Just in case some of you were wondering where the Guide pricing comes from, up until 7-10 years ago, Bob would send me a copy of the Guide for me to indicate the pricing changes I felt were required for next years Guide. It would take me quite awhile to go through the entire Guide and indicate what percentage increase I felt was necessary for every title in the upcoming Guide. I know he also used to send one to Terry Stroud as well. I did this for the Guide for many, many years. So all those that used to complain about the prices being too low or too high, well now you know who to point a finger at, lol.

10 hours ago, Timely said:

My favorite story about you is the one John Verzyl told me about accidentally peeing on your shoes at the shrine show! He said you were pissed! No pun intended!

I'd love to hear your version of that event!

If John peed on my shoes, I never knew about it. I think John was pulling your leg. Sure do miss John, we had some good laughs through the years. I remember the first time John and Nan came up to see me to buy MH books. They got lost and called me asking me to come to where they were and guide them to my house. I told John, you are on the opposite end of the lake from my house and Tahoe is a 22 mile long lake. No way am I driving all the way to where you are. I gave him new directions and they managed to find there way here. Another funny deriving story happened when I bought out Dave Belmont's marvel inventory. Steve Fisher were both involved and we agree to split the books up. So, Steve flies out and is at my house in Tahoe in the winter time. After we divide the books the next day back down to Reno and the airport. The roads were a bit icy. Being a local, this did not bother me. I am used to having the car go out of control usually at least once every year. So, I am driving down Mount Rose highway to Reno and the car goes into a slide coming out of a turn. I knew we were in no danger as we were sliding toward the mountain versus the cliff side. Steve freaked out. If you see him and ask him he will say he will NEVER get in a car with me driving again. 

10 hours ago, archiefan said:

Question - most boardies know that all these copies that surface of Major Inapak came from a warehouse find. But I would be interested in the backstory of this. Were other ME books included as well?

I have never heard of any big ME find other than the Ghost Rider 1 I had mentioned in a previous post. the Major Inapak was an exception.

10 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

Other GA warehouse finds:

Captain Marvel Adventures 51

Green Lama 7

Yellowjacket  7?

That find was a relative a a former GA comic distributor that found these books some of them unopened bundles of the same book. He also had Capt Marvel Adv 50 as well. I can't remember any more but he also had a few issues of a Marvel Mystery, a Cap and a Detective. I bought all he had of those and sold them. There were many other titles and issues as well. One thing about this find. These books were not stored well for protection so the page quality is at best cream to off white if not worse. 

54 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

I should have added that I was a big Lou Fine collector. I sold Jon Berk some of his Wonderworld MH books including #3. I had some of his Black Condor MH stuff and several of his National and Hit MH cover books. I collected Lou Fine original cover art back then. I owned Hit 5, the classic Hit bear cover by Lou, Jungle Comics 1 and Science Comics 1. Also had a couple of Matt Baker covers from Seven Seas 5 & 6. I used to own several other artists covers as well such as Reed Crandall, Johnny Craig, L B Cole, Russ Heath, Bill Woggon, etc. Funny thing now that they all have been sold, my wife a few years ago asked me why I sold those. She said she liked them. I told her why the heck didn't you tell me that back then!?! BTW, to Bob Barrett, I never owned the Planet Comics 1 cover, George Hagenaurer owned that. You must be thinking of the Jungle Comics 1 cover by Will Eisner and Lou Fine.

Would be interested to know if you ever had, or know if any of the original cover art for Fiction House titles from the late 40s and 50s, is out there …  Rangers, Wings, Jungle Fight etc. I've seen plenty of the interior pages but not much else.  Also, were there a ton of FH file copies or any warehouse finds?

Greatly appreciate you sharing all this info with us.

10 hours ago, buttock said:

Great to have you here Ron.  Thank you for contributing this information.  I've asked similar questions in the original art forum and nobody wanted to reveal anything.  The history of fandom and collecting is something we should all be familiar with.  I had never heard of a Nedor find.  Do you recall the time frame for these?  

BTW, congratulations on the liver transplant.  No small feat!  I'm a gastroenterologist, so I'm familiar with what you had to/have to overcome.  

They came out in the late 1970s to early 1980s. It was books from the late 1940s through the 1950s. The painted Schomburg cover books were all represented in this find.

10 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I always assumed

True Life Secrets #23

and

The Thing! #16

had warehouse finds since it seems like those issues are far more available (and in higher grade) than issues surrounding them (both in the title and in the era)

Thx, I had forgotten to mention the True Life Secrets issue. Same find as the Thing and the Space Adventures.

9 hours ago, Norrin's lawyer said:

This thread is so cool.  I cannot wait to read more .... this is one of the main reasons I'm on the boards, to hear the great stories and learn the history from those that made it!  Much respect gentlemen. (worship)

Thx.

10 hours ago, buttock said:

Great to have you here Ron.  Thank you for contributing this information.  I've asked similar questions in the original art forum and nobody wanted to reveal anything.  The history of fandom and collecting is something we should all be familiar with.  I had never heard of a Nedor find.  Do you recall the time frame for these?  

BTW, congratulations on the liver transplant.  No small feat!  I'm a gastroenterologist, so I'm familiar with what you had to/have to overcome.  

Thx. Getting better every day, but as you know, a slow recovery process. Maybe you have heard of my main doctor at Stanford. His name is Dr Aijaz Ahmed. I believe he is also a gastroenterologist as well as a hepatologist. I know he is head of the Stanford liver transplant program.