• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I remember back in the seventies when the dealers started whispering about the Poughkeepsie file copies. I suspect I have a couple including my Peter Pan Treasure Chest which was clearly unread and sold to me as a file copy back in ‘77 or ‘78. Later I picked up a late forties WDCS that was also unblemished. I wish I got more but I had limited high school job funds at the time.

Sounds like they are indeed Poughkeepsie file copies.

10 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

In the early nineties I picked up a beautiful copy of Captain Marvel Adventures #50 at the local LA show. Later I heard it was part of a warehouse find and you see nice copied for sale quite often. It would be great to hear the history on that. Warehouse finds are good for everyone because it allows fans to get nice books at a decent price; just don’t be buyer #1!

Check the board pages for this thread. I posted a history of that find today.

6 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Bakerstowne, the Long Island distribution center was auctioned off piecemeal by them. Archie, Seaboard, about 1,000,000 classics illustrated books included many with the original wraps. Hundreds of Katy Keene pin-ups and a lot of books that were supposedly scarce (might still be listed as scarce in Overstreet...like Tom Terrific.

Thx for posting this. Since my area of interest is GA books, most of these books would have escaped my notice.

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

I should have added that I was a big Lou Fine collector. I sold Jon Berk some of his Wonderworld MH books including #3. I had some of his Black Condor MH stuff and several of his National and Hit MH cover books. I collected Lou Fine original cover art back then. I owned Hit 5, the classic Hit bear cover by Lou, Jungle Comics 1 and Science Comics 1. Also had a couple of Matt Baker covers from Seven Seas 5 & 6. I used to own several other artists covers as well such as Reed Crandall, Johnny Craig, L B Cole, Russ Heath, Bill Woggon, etc. Funny thing now that they all have been sold, my wife a few years ago asked me why I sold those. She said she liked them. I told her why the heck didn't you tell me that back then!?! BTW, to Bob Barrett, I never owned the Planet Comics 1 cover, George Hagenaurer owned that. You must be thinking of the Jungle Comics 1 cover by Will Eisner and Lou Fine.

All right, all right, forgive an old geezer with a bad memory. Yeah it was the Jungle #1 and I think the Science #1. I probably saw the Seven Seas covers too, but sadly wasn't a Baker fan then and glazed over. Any idea where the Seven Seas covers are now? Again, it was a long time ago but I think you let me man handle the MH Supe #1 on one of my trips over as well.

5 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Welcome to the boards, Ron. I should be meeting up with Johnny next month at Balticon. Hope you recovering well from the surgery!    JT

Hey buddy its been a long time JT. I wanted to go to Balticon this year. Al (Stolz) said I got a badge if I can make it. But, recovery from this surgery is slow so I won't be at Chicago, Balticon or Heroes this year. But, I'm planning on being there in 2019. I'm coming to buy...

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Welcome to the boards Ron! I guess my tireless bugging you got you to jump in the pool. You will enjoy the GA forum. Feel free to chime in any time. Us "old guys" got plenty of stories and you have some doosies!  Be nice to the newbee guys!

Many of the warehouse finds you noted, I am familiar with. I hadn't heard of the Ace or Nedor ones though. Care to elaborate?

Bob, what did you get me into. I love it. But, I try and answer all questions so that leaves very little time to do much else, such as play with my GA books.

1 hour ago, clarkkentdds said:

Redbeard! The one and only ! I'm so glad you joined!

I have fond memories of visiting "The Book Den" in Nevada... My parents would bring my brother and me to your book den while they vacationed at the Hyatt in North Shore. My dad tried to buy one of you antique book cases years ago also. (It wasn't for sale.)

You (finally) sold me your Sup #18 SF copy a few years ago for which I'm eternally grateful and still sits safely in my collection.

Will love catching up old friend.

CZ

Clayton, good to hear from you. I started buying GA books again now that I am past having the transplant. The liver problems took the wind out of my sails for many years. Tough to buy books when you are so unsure of your future. When I saw how little interest I was getting on all my savings accounts, I said this is ridiculous and started by books again. BTW, I well remember your dad and your brother. The book case is still not for sale, lol.

1 minute ago, Redbeard said:

Bob, what did you get me into. I love it. But, I try and answer all questions so that leaves very little time to do much else, such as play with my GA books.

I told you you would love it didn't I?  :devil:   You got lots of friends here and new ones to be made. There is such a wealth of info available and so much more to be learned. Great group of fellas and ladies who are hanging on your every word. Do your self a favor and don't burn out.  You can just take your time when you feel like it and do it when you want to.  You don't have to answer every question right away. Read some of the other GA posts when you get the time and feel free to comment and post there as well. LOTS of topics to peruse...

Oh, you might be seeing a blinking envelope in the upper right corner of the page. This is called a PM or private message. Right now, it's probably full of sharks wanting you to sell them all the treasures you have salted away. If you want to give me a call some evening, I can probably fill you in on how to use these boards better.

Now, isn't it time for a warm milk and bed time you old fart?

27 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Would be interested to know if you ever had, or know if any of the original cover art for Fiction House titles from the late 40s and 50s, is out there …  Rangers, Wings, Jungle Fight etc. I've seen plenty of the interior pages but not much else.  Also, were there a ton of FH file copies or any warehouse finds?

Greatly appreciate you sharing all this info with us.

There was a FH find, but that was before I started dealing, so I can offer no details. No on the cover art. I only know of the Jungle Comics 1 and the Planet Comics 1. They were hanging on the wall in the FH office.

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

All right, all right, forgive an old geezer with a bad memory. Yeah it was the Jungle #1 and I think the Science #1. I probably saw the Seven Seas covers too, but sadly wasn't a Baker fan then and glazed over. Any idea where the Seven Seas covers are now? Again, it was a long time ago but I think you let me man handle the MH Supe #1 on one of my trips over as well.

Of course you handled the Sup 1. You did the photos dude of many of the stuff for me.

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I told you you would love it didn't I?  :devil:   You got lots of friends here and new ones to be made. There is such a wealth of info available and so much more to be learned. Great group of fellas and ladies who are hanging on your every word. Do your self a favor and don't burn out.  You can just take your time when you feel like it and do it when you want to.  You don't have to answer every question right away. Read some of the other GA posts when you get the time and feel free to comment and post there as well. LOTS of topics to peruse...

Oh, you might be seeing a blinking envelope in the upper right corner of the page. This is called a PM or private message. Right now, it's probably full of sharks wanting you to sell them all the treasures you have salted away. If you want to give me a call some evening, I can probably fill you in on how to use these boards better.

Now, isn't it time for a warm milk and bed time you old fart?

I like to eat dinner first. Tonight is home made tacos. I have to take so many pills now that I don't want anything else.  I want less not more. I think you know what I mean...

2 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Of course you handled the Sup 1. You did the photos dude of many of the stuff for me.

Pretty sure I had my mitts on the MH Mask #1 or #2 for a photo. Not entirely sure but I do remember it was to this day the brightest and best copy I have ever seen. I believe a boardie owns it now.

Just now, Robot Man said:

Pretty sure I had my mitts on the MH Mask #1 or #2 for a photo. Not entirely sure but I do remember it was to this day the brightest and best copy I have ever seen. I believe a boardie owns it now.

Didn't own either of the MH on those books. When I went to sell the Mask 1, I found it had a tiny amount of color touch. I thought the number 2 was on a VG at best.

59 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

October owns the Church Mask 1 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Go eat dem tacos. Jean is probably pissed at me for creating this monster. 

Dont forget to look at the “Ask Redbeard” thread...

Maybe she should sign up too. I know she has stories :devil:

None of which I wanted posted anywhere on these boards!

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

Thx for posting this. Since my area of interest is GA books, most of these books would have escaped my notice.

You are most welcome and welcome to the boards. While most of the books were SA, there were some GA books mixed in, not many, but some. I remember seeing at least one GA Cap.  Most of the books seemed to be  from 1955 to 1959, with the majority 1958-59, but there was even an AF15..

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:
2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Didn't own either of the MH on those books. When I went to sell the Mask 1, I found it had a tiny amount of color touch. I thought the number 2 was on a VG at best.

I remember seeing the Church copy of Mask #1 in a mahogany (or some kind of wooden) bookcase inside Geppi's library during the Diamond International Galleries grand opening back in '95.  I clearly remember how absolutely gorgeous it was as it was prominently displayed and also sitting right next to the Church copy of Suspense Comics #8.  :luhv:

Did you ever get a chance to handle the Church Suspense 8 as it looked like one of those perfect Mile High copies with bold bright colors from looking through the window display case?  :cloud9:

17 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

Redbeard! The one and only ! I'm so glad you joined!

I have fond memories of visiting "The Book Den" in Nevada... My parents would bring my brother and me to your book den while they vacationed at the Hyatt in North Shore. My dad tried to buy one of you antique book cases years ago also. (It wasn't for sale.)

You (finally) sold me your Sup #18 SF copy a few years ago for which I'm eternally grateful and still sits safely in my collection.

Will love catching up old friend.

CZ

Funny story, back in the 1990's when RedBeard would occasionally set up at the Shrine show in LA I saw he had a list with Mile Highs & San Francisco's in a binder.  I asked to see the sheet & wrote down some of the books I was interested in.  I never bought any of those books directly from Ron, but the Superman #18 was on the list.  Back then Verzyl & Ron still had their deal in place so I felt like the chance of me getting any of those books directly from Ron was not going to happen. I did manage to get some low numbered San Francisco Marvel Mystery Comics years later that were on that list. 

I did get the Blue Ribbon #15 Larson Copy directly from Ron back in 2011 via ebay.