• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

259 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I owned Hit 5, the classic Hit bear cover by Lou, Jungle Comics 1 and Science Comics 1. Also had a couple of Matt Baker covers from Seven Seas 5 & 6. I used to own several other artists covers as well such as Reed Crandall, Johnny Craig, L B Cole, Russ Heath, Bill Woggon, etc. 

Do you have any pics?  Would love to see these!  You can even email them to me and I can post them here if needed.

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I remember seeing the Church copy of Mask #1 in a mahogany (or some kind of wooden) bookcase inside Geppi's library during the Diamond International Galleries grand opening back in '95.  I clearly remember how absolutely gorgeous it was as it was prominently displayed and also sitting right next to the Church copy of Suspense Comics #8.  :luhv:

Did you ever get a chance to handle the Church Suspense 8 as it looked like one of those perfect Mile High copies with bold bright colors from looking through the window display case?  :cloud9:

Nope, but I did handle a few other issues of Suspense.

2 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Still have with no plans to sell the SF Subbys Rick. did you ever get copies in grade for your collection?

I am happy with the ones I have. The Friscos are beautiful, I am sure.

Ron:

Here is a question that has been plaguing the boards forever...

WERE THERE ANY NEDORS IN THE SF COLLECTION THAT YOU KNOW OF? 

There was a long and sorted thread back a couple of years ago that eventually got Bob Beerbomb booted from the boards. He was never able to answer this for sure. You would have loved the thread. Mitch Mehdy (who is a board member here) was trying to stick up for him, But Bob came off looking like a fool. 

I'm a little surprised that Mitch hasn't jumped in here since he is also a geezer and been involved in fandom even longer than you. 

On 8/14/2018 at 7:20 PM, Redbeard said:

I owned Hit 5, the classic Hit bear cover by Lou, Jungle Comics 1 and Science Comics 1. Also had a couple of Matt Baker covers from Seven Seas 5 & 6.

IIRC, the Jungle 1 hung in the master bedroom.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:51 AM, Redbeard said:
On 8/14/2018 at 8:10 PM, lou_fine said:

I remember seeing the Church copy of Mask #1 in a mahogany (or some kind of wooden) bookcase inside Geppi's library during the Diamond International Galleries grand opening back in '95.  I clearly remember how absolutely gorgeous it was as it was prominently displayed and also sitting right next to the Church copy of Suspense Comics #8.  :luhv:

Did you ever get a chance to handle the Church Suspense 8 as it looked like one of those perfect Mile High copies with bold bright colors from looking through the window display case?  :cloud9:

Nope, but I did handle a few other issues of Suspense.

Yes, it looks like almost all of the other Church copies of the Suspense run has hit the marketplace over the years.  In fact, with some of them on quite a few occasions.

Looks like the only ones that have not are the Suspense 4 which is supposedly the toughest of the bunch and even harder to find than the much more in-demand Suspense 3.  The other one is the Suspense 10 although this one does have other pedigree copies that had sold on Heritage.  And then the Suspense 8 with the classic spider cover which has been copied on a few other occasions and which must be residing in a private collection in all its beautiful glory.  :cloud9:

6 hours ago, fifties said:

I remember dealing with Beerbohm (sp?) ages ago.  He always seemed kinda...Strange, lol. 

What did he post to get banned here?

He was baaad. Very bad. Basically, he “bit the hand that fed him”. You had to have been here.

I’m are Redbeard would agree. This hobby has a long and checkerd past. It has always, even up today, been full of “characters”...

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

He was baaad. Very bad. Basically, he “bit the hand that fed him”. You had to have been here.

I’m are Redbeard would agree. This hobby has a long and checkerd past. It has always, even up today, been full of “characters”...

Characters is what made collecting so great in the early days, a lot people knew each other, because we were a rare breed. One thing in common is that we truly loved what we were doing and the creative explosion in the material on the newstand at the time the was super. Few could or would believe how far we have come since then. Getting to where we are today, was not easy, but it certainly fun. I wish we had a great board like this in the early 70's it would of been amazing, but we did have the early SDCC's, Berkley, SF etc at least on the west coast. Still, a lot of the early characters were great collectors, true collectors not just about money, but about getting the best stuff in their collection...that was it..getting the great stuff no matter what it took.

Edited by Mmehdy

Does anyone know the background story for the Chinese market find?  That one included the Thing 16, Racket Squad 12 (Ditko explosion cover), True Life Secrets 23 (I think) and many other Charltons.  At one time I owned 3 of those Racket Squad 12s.  I have no idea why I sold them...and BTW, Ron sold me my Our flag #1 many years ago at SDCC or Wondercon (I can't remember which).

16544024431_f1e783fa63_c.jpg

My War comics on flickr:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157648525499354/page1

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 8/16/2018 at 9:09 AM, Robot Man said:

Talked to Ron on the phone for quite a while last night. (Both our wives were pissed).

Yes indeed, so much so that he hasn't made a reappearance on these boards since this time. :frown:

Now we know who to blame if he's not allowed back on these boards again by his better half.  (tsk)  lol

On 8/15/2018 at 9:41 AM, dem1138 said:

Do you have any pics?  Would love to see these!  You can even email them to me and I can post them here if needed.

Give me some time on that one. I'll check around, but I'm not sure I'll turn anything up. Wish I do, there was some Lou Fine art on the Swordsman Hit cover that was not on the book. 

On 8/15/2018 at 4:33 PM, Robot Man said:

Ron:

Here is a question that has been plaguing the boards forever...

WERE THERE ANY NEDORS IN THE SF COLLECTION THAT YOU KNOW OF? 

There was a long and sorted thread back a couple of years ago that eventually got Bob Beerbomb booted from the boards. He was never able to answer this for sure. You would have loved the thread. Mitch Mehdy (who is a board member here) was trying to stick up for him, But Bob came off looking like a fool. 

I'm a little surprised that Mitch hasn't jumped in here since he is also a geezer and been involved in fandom even longer than you. 

I have never seen a Nedor SF copy. Fox, DC, Timely and others yes, but no Nedor in my experience.