• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Memories: The Toys of the Silver and Bronze Age
4 4

358 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

Space: 1999 Eagle 1

space1999eagle1 024.JPG

Weird seeing this.  Your sense of touch starts telling your brain things, seeing these photos of old toys.  What the cockpit capsule felt like, the tension needed to pull it off, opening the cockpit canopy, pulling off the thrusters, carrying the whole thing ... eerie but cool.

2 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

Someone mentioned the Six Million Dollar Man earlier. I vividly remember having the action figure, along with my favorite nemesis of his, Bigfoot

Steve-Austin-Action-Figure-660x937.jpg

Xnd.lSBK5oGM5wtkB3qLUg.jpg

Screw Col. Austin. I’d rather own the Fembot figure today. Lol

7833738D-8130-41A8-8AC0-73DA12C08A82.jpeg.1477c046dba28867c9bdd772add2e5dd.jpeg

419B7F20-4092-41D4-9A73-F83B5757CB04.jpeg.bbf16e425420d49561a6cd257af91c92.jpeg

(or the Venus probe!)

7 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Oh man, I SO remember the castle and garage

Yeah I feel like every kid must have had them along with the big wheels... the horror one seems kind of random, I must have been a couple of years older but it took me forever to remember what it was exactly and locate it online.

9 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I also was given an AFX slot car race set when I was 8 years old ( 1973). Then over the course of a few years I was given slot cars to add to my set at birthdays and Christmas time. I think I had about 10 cars by the time I moved on to Megos.

I remember going to the local mall, and there was a hobby store there that had what seemed like a hundred different slot cars. My favorite was the Batmobile one, although I never got it as it was a long car, and my slot car experience said that the long cars were harder to race because if you turned on the speed ( squeezed the trigger ) the car would spin out at the corners. The best car I had to race was a 55 Chevy Belair like the one pictured below except mine was green.

AFX.jpg

AFX car2.jpg

AFX_car.jpg

AFX3.jpg

Oh man I had this one Too! The Richard Petty Roadrunner was awesome.

I had that garage-- have some old 8mm home movies of me playing with it at Christmas.

I had both version of the hand held football. The noise drove my parents crazy-- to the point that I put heavy ankle tape over the speaker to lessen the noise on the mattel one. I sold that and the Coleco version before the move out to Phoenix. I also had the Mattel Soccer hand held game (had a brown case). We had a couple of other hadn held ones but I never found them-- one had several game modes on it but it was mostly about baseball.

We had those crazy kites too--- those things were awesome-- until your line broke and it flew away and got stuck in some tree miles away.

Many of the toys we had were found in the home movies from the late 1960s - My cousins always had so many toys (4 boys) so going over to visit them was pretty cool (plus they had a pool table in the basement).

We never had an Atari 2600. We did get swept up in the Pong craze though and I wish we still had the original box of the first one we bought. It was garbage-- got returned  - but basically it was a fake TV set with a light on the end of some moveable stick. We were underwhelmed to say the least. I think we got the Sears version of pong after that-- it had so many options (sarcasm). You could play singles, double, and something resembling "hockey mode". Still- we played it quite a bit for a few months. he along came Intellivision and even my parents got sucked into the video game world - so much so that we ended up buying a second console. Still have one of the consoles but I sold off most of the games on ebay as well as the best working console. Not that Intellivision was incredible compared to later games-- but we liked it. My folks would spend HOURS playing the games Lock-n-chase and Burgertime.

I'm surprised no one has shown that really cool shooting gallery toy. I had it but it broke after a couple of months-- never could figure out how to fix it and it got trashed. This is the one with the rapid fire machine gun that spit out small silver ball bearings at the targets.

And how no one is not showing the original Rock em Sock em Robots baffles me. Hell-- I have a picture or two of our Kerplunk game if I can find it. so many toys!

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Oh man I had this one Too! The Richard Petty Roadrunner was awesome.

I had so many of those Tyco race tracks-- I think I bought about 5 of them over the years and had about 30 of the cars (both AFX and Tyco). Even had the double loops set. They were awesome because you could turn out the lights and race them in the dark with the little headlights. My mom sold all that stuff in one of her garage sales with my blessing. She also sold my entire Hotwheels and Matchbox collection-- including the nifty hotwheels carrying case shaped like a tire (shown below not mine but the same thing)

rally_case.jpg

hotwheels24carcase3inside.JPG

last item I swear-- someone posted up the SIzzlers tracks -- man we loved those things. They were only superseded later by the Tyco electric ones. I recall the cars had a limited life span-- you could really screw them up if you over charged them. But they wore out sort of quickly. We did have that awesome track-- or maybe a friend did- can't recall.

How many of us who had sizzlers would sometimes put the little charger plug on your tongue to get the baby jolt of energy? I think those chargers were basically just 9 volt battery connectors..

anyway---- carry on--- really enjoying the thread.