• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Memories: The Toys of the Silver and Bronze Age
4 4

358 posts in this topic

So many great memories in this thread!

As far as electric football, we wound up tossing a handful of coins or marbles on it to see what noise made the parents most irritated (worked the best when they were entertaining friends).

Loved my Super Toe, but it got me in a lot of trouble once I realized you could hit him with a big book to launch the plastic football several yards. After taking out a few lamps and several knick knacks, he was gone.

super_toe.jpg

On 8/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, Pontoon said:

Just one more, then I'll stop. Always had a good time with my Baby Bat kite.

babybat.jpg

bb2.jpg

I had the Super Bat. I decided to fly it on a bayside beach on the Cape. The wind was so strong, I could barely bring it back in. 

0f384d4e1.jpg?resize=372,639

1 hour ago, BriD. said:

The football and hockey games reminded me of this. I was unaware until now that there was a White Shadow version.

TEMPLATE cadaco bas-ket box 1973 EX.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

YSg2c60.jpg

I had one of these.  I don't think it was the white shadow version, though.  It was a lot of fun.  

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Growing up in the late '50s and early '60s, we didn't get most of the cool robots and action figures you guys played with.  But we did get great table and board games, like this one with the battery powered red goal lights.  I spent many an hour playing my older brother, trying out strategies for getting the puck from my wingmen to my center for the quick shot.  Our version was the Canadians versus the Maple Leafs.

stanley_cup_1965_table_top_model_001.jpg

I noticed on your hockey field, the goal light prevents the wings from passing behind the net.  I still have the Coleco version with an open area behind the net. If the defensemen and goalie are bunched on one side, I could pass around the net to the opposite wing to get an open shot.  If the defensemen are blocking the corners of the goal then a quick pass to the center for a slap shot up the middle.  Won many 1-0 games.

vintage-coleco-nhl-power-play-table.thumb.jpg.05054c2969881484fe1519d918aa9729.jpg

Edited by BitterOldMan

I don't know if these are illegal everywhere but they are where I live.  They sure were fun and I almost bought a set a while back. Couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I got caught playing with them in my own yard.

25731843-l.jpg

3 hours ago, BriD. said:

The football and hockey games reminded me of this. I was unaware until now that there was a White Shadow version.

TEMPLATE cadaco bas-ket box 1973 EX.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

YSg2c60.jpg

White Shadow?? 

Racist.gif

39 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I noticed on your hockey field, the goal light prevents the wings from passing behind the net.  I still have the Coleco version with an open area behind the net. If the defensemen and goalie are bunched on one side, I could pass around the net to the opposite wing to get an open shot.  If the defensemen are blocking the corners of the goal then a quick pass to the center for a slap shot up the middle.  Won many 1-0 games.

vintage-coleco-nhl-power-play-table.thumb.jpg.05054c2969881484fe1519d918aa9729.jpg

My method exactly!  The goalie would always be blocking the goal on one side so you could whip the puck around behind the goal and he would be stuck guarding the other side - quick score.  It was amazing how quick we got in moving the puck around and intense some of the match ups got when we grew a bit older.

I remember having so much fun with the Stompers 4x4 battery operated trucks. My buddy and I would take them to the nearby, crack-infested park and have them perform all sorts of climbing feats. Hey, I grew up in the Bronx. That was the closest thing to woods we had in my area. I remember some of the later ones came with an extra set of tires made out of a different, foam-like material that you could switch back and forth. I guess one set was for speed, and the other set for climbing. However, we never noticed any difference in performance.

108eqvd.jpg

2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I had the Super Bat. I decided to fly it on a bayside beach on the Cape. The wind was so strong, I could barely bring it back in. 

0f384d4e1.jpg?resize=372,639

On 8/15/2018 at 8:42 AM, Pontoon said:

Just one more, then I'll stop. Always had a good time with my Baby Bat kite.

babybat.jpg

bb2.jpg

I want an original one now (thanks guys) so I did a little research to see how to identify them and found this blog piece with some history.

http://gaylakitememories.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, BriD. said:

I don't know if these are illegal everywhere but they are where I live.  They sure were fun and I almost bought a set a while back. Couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I got caught playing with them in my own yard.

25731843-l.jpg

At about age 8, a friend and I were playing this.  I hit him in the temple with one of these heavy darts.  His mom woudn't let him come over to play anymore.

I’ve posted this before, but here it is again. 

Got this in a care package when I was 3 from my mother’s uncle who lived in Milwaukee. 

The Superman figure is similar - but not the same sculpt - as the vinyl paint-it-yourself figures from RoseArt/Kraftmasters. 

The lid was held together by the same bolts as in the box so you could actual use the tools to take the box apart. 

I have no idea who made this. I’ve never aggressively looked for it on the secondary market as it really is a small child’s toy. 

4DDC87E4-AE85-4636-A76A-5FB061A97113.jpeg

3F4EDBB5-0EC8-402A-A989-078DDDB75FCE.jpeg

Anyone play this as a kid ?  My brother and sister and I had one and found it was way too easy to catch the ball for and out,  so we changed the rules a little.  

We made it so the out fielders ( us) had to catch with their left hand only and had to wear a mitten (no fingers).  It made the game way more interesting and higher scoring too 

1477211021_sandlotslugger.thumb.jpg.24a6f78cb287e0955ce19832fca0ef50.jpg

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

At about age 8, a friend and I were playing this.  I hit him in the temple with one of these heavy darts.  His mom woudn't let him come over to play anymore.

Yeah, kids definitely shouldn't have been playing with these. When I was around 6 or 7 i got one Jart from a rummage sale. Me and a friend just went out to the school playground and started throwing it straight up as high as we could. Luckily we didn't get hurt but I can imagine this type of behavior went on a lot with these. And with much worse results.

jarts.png

2 minutes ago, BriD. said:

Yeah, kids definitely shouldn't have been playing with these. When I was around 6 or 7 i got one Jart from a rummage sale. Me and a friend just went out to the school playground and started throwing it straight up as high as we could. Luckily we didn't get hurt but I can imagine this type of behavior went on a lot with these. And with much worse results.

jarts.png

Are they really that big, or photoshop making it seem that way?

Edited by Skeptic_Kepp