• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Memories: The Toys of the Silver and Bronze Age
4 4

358 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

Are they really that big, or photoshop making it seem that way?

The ones in the early 70's were huge and heavy.  That's to ensure the point stays ahead when throwing, and down when falling towards the ground.  It also allows then to be thrown long distances.  Solid metal and pointed.  That pic could be a real life scenario with those darts.  

5 hours ago, tv horror said:

I always wanted one of these Gre-gory the bat toys, yes I was a gruesome child I wanted to see that blood flow.:bigsmile:

hqdefault.jpg

Here's one along those lines that I remember wanting as a kid. The heart pumped blood that you could see through the torso

And then there was Mike Powers: the Atomic Man from GI Joe; my favorite of all the toys I had at the time

Screenshot_2018-08-21-16-24-08-1.png

Screenshot_2018-08-21-16-25-30-1.png

40 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Here's one along those lines that I remember wanting as a kid. The heart pumped blood that you could see through the torso

And then there was Mike Powers: the Atomic Man from GI Joe; my favorite of all the toys I had at the timeimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Screenshot_2018-08-21-16-24-08-1.png

Screenshot_2018-08-21-16-25-30-1.png

Oh, I remember those :applause:

I believe my cousin had the Mike Powers action figure

I had two heavy robots.  I would say mid seventies.  They could move, and fight each other.  Their hands both rotated 360 degrees forward so, if they fell down, they could stand their selves back up.  I think they also had flashing lights. I don't remember what they were called.  Maybe someone could post a pic?  I think one was green and the other red?

On 8/14/2018 at 5:30 PM, Artboy99 said:

I was really into Micronauts when they came out. I loved their interchangeable nature. My favorite was Karza he just looked so nasty/ cool.

I was 10/11 years old when they came out.

Micronauts Acroyear.jpg

Micronauts-Toys.jpg

Micro Karza.jpg

Karza had that horse attachment that was awesome

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Pontoon said:

Just one more, then I'll stop. Always had a good time with my Baby Bat kite.

babybat.jpg

bb2.jpg

15 hours ago, N e r V said:

I want an original one now (thanks guys) so I did a little research to see how to identify them and found this blog piece with some history.

http://gaylakitememories.blogspot.com

The guy in that blog is crazy!

"From what I recall, these were the kites I purchased most often in my early days of kite flying. I can remember using a purple one to empty a spool of 12lb 900 yd mono-filament. I remember my dad telling me that I had let it out over a half a mile! It took me 8 hours of reeling to get it back down! I recall that those kites would go out of sight when they were somewhere between 1400' and 1500'."

Edited by Domo Arigato

7 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I used to play this game to death as a child of the sixties. One day I'll find me one.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

download (6).jpeg

Glow in the dark game too !!  

17 hours ago, BriD. said:

Yeah, kids definitely shouldn't have been playing with these. When I was around 6 or 7 i got one Jart from a rummage sale. Me and a friend just went out to the school playground and started throwing it straight up as high as we could. Luckily we didn't get hurt but I can imagine this type of behavior went on a lot with these. And with much worse results.

jarts.png

At least he got the point.

I remember getting these when they first came out and my Buck Rogers and Tiger Man breaking really quick. When we went back to replace them the next week, all they had left were rows and rows of Killer Kane and a few of the female figures. I was devastated. On the bright side, I played with that spaceship so much. It's still my favorite starfighter of all time. Love that design.

652448729d5cdb4d8a20872bf2f1c5ae.jpg

lrg-packaged-back.jpg

17 hours ago, BriD. said:

Yeah, kids definitely shouldn't have been playing with these. When I was around 6 or 7 i got one Jart from a rummage sale. Me and a friend just went out to the school playground and started throwing it straight up as high as we could. Luckily we didn't get hurt but I can imagine this type of behavior went on a lot with these. And with much worse results.

jarts.png

This pic made me laugh.  We use to throw the darts up in the air and the goal was to play chicken with it and dodge out of the way at the last second.  It definetely bred some quick kids since none of us got hit.

We also use to fire roman candles at each other while riding around on bikes.  Crazy olden days!

32 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

This pic made me laugh.  We use to throw the darts up in the air and the goal was to play chicken with it and dodge out of the way at the last second.  It definetely bred some quick kids since none of us got hit.

We also use to fire roman candles at each other while riding around on bikes.  Crazy olden days!

How about this? Sometimes the best toys were home made. We didn't call these tennis ball cannons though. The ones I remember were made with the old tin beer cans. The one in the pic is Pringles cans but it's the only decent pic I could find.

Untitled.jpg

image47.jpg

Edited by BriD.