• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Memories: The Toys of the Silver and Bronze Age
4 4

358 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2018 at 2:41 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Loved this.....turned you into an instant artist.  Still have it.

Mighty+Men+and+Monster+Maker2.jpg

5582mm31.jpg

New-Monster.jpg

I’m pretty sure even today a lot of pro comic artists are using this too...:nyah:

11 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I believe the Sewer Side Squad art was intentional, I think its a parody of the art from a current kids tv show (not sure which one - don't watch them). I only picked it for this forum because it was comic book related. For the most part the current batch of Wacky Pack artists try to imitate the original artwork from the seventies (I have two great books from Amazon that detail the origins and art of the original Wacky Packages). Here is a better example of the current sticker style (these are from the 2015 set).

Image result for wacky pack 2018

2015 Topps Wacky Packages #49 Scram Front

Ahh -- I am glad they are trying to emulate that art form from the 1970s. I liked that style very much and it was the wacky packs I knew growing up. It isn't perhaps incredible art in some peoples eyes but it works for me.

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

Don’t think I owned one but knew friends that did.

It was the damn jingle in the commercial I never forgot...

we had one of those-- it was my brothers at first and then it was mine for a while -- then it was sold in a garage sale. Now it is either in a land fill or some lucky collector has it. I think we held onto the box for this one too because it was an easy way to store it when not using-- lots of parts with all those tiny plastic colored pieces.

The commercial and the jingle that went with it was probably the main reason it sold so well. As I recall, you could become bored with it fairly quickly. It was pretty cool to have for holidays though like Christmas and Halloween.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
10 minutes ago, mysterio said:

We figured out that those pegs would fit into a lot of the spring loaded missile firing toys we had. They really flew when shot. 

Is there anything boys won't try to turn into a missile? :cloud9:

I think it was Maskatron’s arms that worked the best, if I’m remembering right. I’m sure some of the Micronauts guns worked too (we got all our Micronauts secondhand so I wouldn’t be able to name the specific toys).

35 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I never played with Dinky toys.   

Not even your dinky appendage?

:jokealert:, because you never know around here....

My mother used to yell at us boys when we were in the tub: " MAKE SURE YOU SCRUB YOUR DINKYS!! " (must have been an Irish thing, I guess. I never asked). 

God, I can even remember, about 11 or so, having getting kicked in the groin in a wrestling tussle. It hurt. My mother took me to the Base Hospital. The Physician asked what was wrong, and she said "his Dinky hurts". I was so embarrassed. What really scared me was the Doctor seemed to know what she meant, because he said "lower your trousers and scivies, and lets take a look". I thought: Doctors call it a Dinky, too? 

On 8/22/2018 at 7:09 AM, Senormac said:
On 8/21/2018 at 11:46 PM, oakman29 said:

I used to play this game to death as a child of the sixties. One day I'll find me one.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

download (6).jpeg

Glow in the dark game too !!  

We blocked the windows in the basement and played it and some other spooky games in the dark.