• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Xmen 1 help. Glue and popped staple
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Questions on xmen 1 (1963 series)

1. I am trying to figure out if this issue is restored.  The paper has some white streaks on one of the pages.  Is this glue or something else?  If it is glue, can it be removed?  See pics

2. The centerfold is detached from bottom staple.  How badly will it affect grade?  It looks like a 6.0 otherwise.

20180813_130319.jpg

20180813_130326.jpg

With only being able to see what you have shown us it appears that besides being detached at one staple that the spine is splitting.

Without being able to see the rest of the book my opinion on grade would be.

(Note: I would be Extremely happy with a 3.0 X-Men #1)

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be presen

It may be correction fluid applied to the staple in an attempt to stop rust migration from a rusty staple: And yes, we need to see the whole book front and back please.

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

It may be correction fluid applied to the staple in an attempt to stop rust migration from a rusty staple: And yes, we need to see the whole book front and back please.

Looks like paper paste. Resident paper-wizard, JoeyPost, would be the one to confirm it and opine on whether or not he thinks it can be removed without destroying the paper it's stuck to.

What you see is reinforcement done with mending paper and paste (wheat, cellulose or a bit of both) It's either poorly done or someone has tried to remove some of it. Or I guess it could be the book has been mishandled since the repair.  Most likely is just amateur, poor quality work

Whatever it grades, it will get some flavor of a restored grade.  If the reinforcement is the only restoration done, then it should get a conserved label. But a lot of times where you see restoration in one spot there are other spots on the book with other things done. 

If you are OK with some amateur restoration and the price is consistent with amateur restoration, go for it. But know what you are buying. 

Edited by Tony S

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

If you do not yet own the book, run for the hills. You do not want to get involved with this project. 

I would take Bob's advice. This one looks to be a mess and unless you pick it up at a very reasonable price, it is not worth it. 

Edited by joeypost
Typing

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, joeypost said:

I would take Boba advice. This one looks to be a mess and unless you pick it up at a very reasonable price it is not worth it. 

And there it is. From the paper wizard himself! If Joey had his research facility near Edison's, there would be two famous wizards of Menlo Park!

Wiz.gif