• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Redbeard Tales of a veteran comic book dealer
5 5

175 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I will never be able to match the amazing finds both of you have had over the years. Unlike Sal (Dichiera) and you, I never attended flea markets and paper shows where some of your amazing tales Bob have occurred.

Unlike many here, I'm a poor working schmoo with a few kids to support and a couple of mortgages. I also have a couple of other pricey hobbies. So, I've had to scrounge and search and dig out stuff over the years. I actually find it very rewarding and love the "thrill of the hunt" even more than the actual piece in a lot of cases. I do have many fun tales...

OK, Ron, obviously you have had your mitts on a LOT of MH books over the years. From the top of the heap on down. You are a dealer but I know you love the media and have always had a private collection. Do you still own a MH (or a few), that you have never sold just because you loved it too much?

On 9/7/2018 at 2:12 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, Ron, obviously you have had your mitts on a LOT of MH books over the years. From the top of the heap on down. You are a dealer but I know you love the media and have always had a private collection. Do you still own a MH (or a few), that you have never sold just because you loved it too much?

Yes, I still have a few MH books. Unfortunately, I did not consider what I enjoyed, but rather the grade. Anything below 9.2 has been offered for sale at some point. If I had it to do again, that would change to what I liked the most. None of my MH books have been pressed. I can't tell you how often I see MH books that I know were a 9.0 to 9.2 now graded 9.6 or 9.8, sad. But, that is the way of the hobby/business. I guess it doesn't matter if they are pressed, because the books are now encased in plastic and are not readable any longer. For us old timers, there was nothing like the touch, feel and smell of the MH books. That now seems to be gone forever...

On 8/24/2018 at 11:53 AM, Redbeard said:

John Verzyl used to like to joke around for fun. I know for a fact that John McLaughlin had the MH books in a wooden cabinet with doors in his house in Anaheim Hills. That would make it almost impossible for a cat to get in there, let alone pee on any books. Before the books were stored in that cabinet in his house, they were at the Book Sail store, and I know there was no cat in the store. John did not keep the books at his house in Orange. I really think Verzyl was pulling your leg on this one. Now I can confirm that McLauglin definitely read early issues of the pulp Dime Mystery while soaking in his bathtub. Both John and Dave Smith told me about that. Dave thought John was crazy to do this. These were incredible copies, like brand new with white pages. They were so new that John used a ruler to separate the pages and hold them while he read them. I'll see if I can reach my old friend Dave Smith, he lives in Washington now. If anyone would know, it would be Dave on this cat pee myth.

Hi Ron, I just chatted with Dave Smith, and he agrees with you.  While John did own a dog, Dave doesn’t remember him ever owning a cat.  He also doesn’t think John would have ever harmed a cat, even in anger.  He said John had a great respect for all animals.

On 9/11/2018 at 10:36 PM, nearmint said:

Hi Ron, I just chatted with Dave Smith, and he agrees with you.  While John did own a dog, Dave doesn’t remember him ever owning a cat.  He also doesn’t think John would have ever harmed a cat, even in anger.  He said John had a great respect for all animals.

Do you have Dave's contact info? I lost it in changing computers several times since Dave and I last spoke. If you can't give it out, I understand. Have Dave give me a ring at 775-831-4848 so we can catch up. Someone told me it was Lilly that had the cat. I just don't remember that.

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

Do you have Dave's contact info? I lost it in changing computers several times since Dave and I last spoke. If you can't give it out, I understand. Have Dave give me a ring at 775-831-4848 so we can catch up. Someone told me it was Lilly that had the cat. I just don't remember that.

Use the PM feature here Ron. A lot more private.

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

Hi Ron,

Dave’s contact info is listed on his website: http://www.fantasyillustrated.net .  His phone is (425)750-4513.  His email is info@fantasyillustrated.net.  I’m sure he’d love to hear from you.

Jeff Delaney

On 9/11/2018 at 6:28 PM, Robot Man said:

Yep, nothing like a the feel and smell of a naked MH. I've got a pile that have never been pressed or slabbed. I just can't bring myself to do it...

comwestadvs3church1.jpg

comjumbo155church1.jpg

comdatewithdanger5.jpg

comnyoka28.jpg

Wow, these are all awesome. The Mile High Date with Danger 5! That book is always one of my favorites.

Thanks. Yeah, it has insane gloss. I got the #6 At the same time. I got most of these at the Casual Con in Anaheim the first time Chuck brought them out. None were over 10 bucks. I was buying mostly SOTI and Parade of Pleasure books at the time but there were so many cool ones I just bought till I ran out of money. :luhv: