• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Redbeard Tales of a veteran comic book dealer
5 5

175 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I believe it was Ron who actually named the collection when it first came to market. Long before we started calling them "pedigrees". 

Ooh.  Beerbohm must hate him then ?

Redbeard was THE dealer for me back in the day when I first started collecting, he'd allow a friend (Bart Dancy) and I to visit his vault (metal cabinets filled to the brim with prime material) and would give us 20% off if we spent a certain amount of money.

Through Ron is how I was first exposed to pedigree books (sometimes the only copy of a certain issue we could find!), he was the best collecting mentor I could ever ask for. 

Welcome to the Boards, Ron! :foryou:

Steve

Ok, another question...

Do have any old photos of the old days? People are good but I can speak for all the fan boys here how we would love to see some stacks of SF and Mile High buys you made.

I'm just a simple bottom feeding robot so I wouldn't have any of those...  I do have a shot of a dapper "disco" Redbeard and Dave Smith at SDCC many years ago in 1980.

sdcccon1980sarticle1.jpg

sdcccon1980sarticle2.jpg

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Ok, another question...

Do have any old photos of the old days? People are good but I can speak for all the fan boys here how we would love to see some stacks of SF and Mile High buys you made.

I'm just a simple bottom feeding robot so I wouldn't have any of those...  I do have a shot of a dapper "disco" Redbeard and Dave Smith at SDCC many years ago in 1980.

Actually, that article came out in 1986, but a great read nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I have very few left but here is an old picture of John Knight and the Robot Man with a "funny cigarette" in my mouth. Taken at SDCC in the late '70's. Oh, we were so cool back then. At least I had good taste in funny books even back then. What was that a $20. book?

Show this to Johnny and tell him to sign up here too. He would love it.

BobandJohnnySanDiegoCon.jpg

The first year I went to San Diego was '78. Went each year through '81. I hung out at Ron's table and I remember meeting John there. That photo is exactly how I remember him...so maybe I met you out there too, Bob. I really remember selling stuff to you in the late '80s and early '90s when I opened Bedrock City.

@Redbeard Before reading a post you made in your other Thread i was thinking "He must be saying to himself what have i gotten myself into?!? :D "

Well like @Robot Man said, take your time and answer each inquiry at your leisure, but please hang in there and stick around. There's been more action on your posts than what's become the norm lately, and it's very encouraging. Oh and no hurry, but please choose an Avatar :baiting:,  (It's like a calling card and makes the posts stand out more imho).  

Anyway, on to my question. RM (that's my shorthand for Robot man) says you were present at the San Francisco find. I purchased this book from R.B. (you know the initials :shy:) as a San Francisco copy. Because it has no distinguishable markings and isn't high grade i have nothing to go on but his word. PQ is nice though. Does the copy look familiar to you? Is there any other ways that i can determine if it is indeed a SF copy i'd greatly appreciate the point in the right direction. Answer when it bets suits your schedule sir, and thanks for joining! :headbang:

Famous Funnies #82.jpg

5 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

The first year I went to San Diego was '78. Went each year through '81. I hung out at Ron's table and I remember meeting John there. That photo is exactly how I remember him...so maybe I met you out there too, Bob. I really remember selling stuff to you in the late '80s and early '90s when I opened Bedrock City.

Johnny is still around and lives close to Redbeard in Tahoe. I consider one of my best friends in this hobby. We go way back. Last time I saw him was a couple years ago at WonderCon. I correspond with him via email now and then. Would love it if Redbeard could get him to sign up here. Oh, maybe not, he'd probably tell some stories about me I'd rather not have published..:roflmao:

I'm pretty sure I met you through Redbeard in the 1980's. Bought a lot of stuff from you at cons when I saw you there.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have very few left but here is an old picture of John Knight and the Robot Man with a "funny cigarette" in my mouth. Taken at SDCC in the late '70's. Oh, we were so cool back then. At least I had good taste in funny books even back then. What was that a $20. book?

That photo is also at least 1982 since that is when Marvel Fanfare came out. (but at this point is there a difference between 79 and 82?)