• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duped by marvel 30 years later and Pennsylvania comic stores
1 1

24 posts in this topic

So I was shopping around some local shops in Pennsylvania and found a musty basement store called blue hen comics. Very old but nice owner.

Decent old books but nothing spectacular and everything priced higher than Ebay like every other comic store I’ve ever been to. Bought a couple bronze books and saw ghost rider 10. Looked forward to reading hulk fight the ghost rider, my money on it being some kind of draw after a misunderstanding.

After reading the whole book hoping for at least a cameo of hulk at the end I lol’d at myself for not realizing on splash page it said they missed the deadline so they reprinted ghost riders 1st appearance but had the wrong cover. Wow I never knew this. 

Also love buying books in person but it seems Ebay is always waaaaay cheaper for anything.

Was this the one in Lancaster, PA? I've seen it in this Yelp listing and always wanted to try going there, sounds like you might have saved me a trip. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/captain-blue-hen-comics-lancaster

From the Yelp review, it sounded like there were a lot of bargain books to look through, not sure if you did so, or if that's not the type of collecting you do.

There's also a Captain Blue Hen in Delaware, was wondering if there is any connection, you would think there would have to be, but I don't know the details.

6 hours ago, Brother J said:

Was this the one in Lancaster, PA? I've seen it in this Yelp listing and always wanted to try going there, sounds like you might have saved me a trip. 

From the Yelp review, it sounded like there were a lot of bargain books to look through, not sure if you did so, or if that's not the type of collecting you do.

There's also a Captain Blue Hen in Delaware, was wondering if there is any connection, you would think there would have to be, but I don't know the details.

Yes this was in Lancaster. I saw the reviews too and I was in town so I checked it out. He’s only open on Saturday’s and sometimes not even that he said due to the weather in summer.

There was no a/c so it was very hot down there. I was mostly looking for Spider-Man’s from silver age but he barely had any. I did some digging but it looked to me like everything was priced higher than Ebay and keys were pulled. There was thousands of comics for sure so you might find something but good luck. Bargain room I looked in was drek so I moved on quick. 50 cents a book is nice but not if it’s worth less than the paper it’s printed on.

No connection to the one in Deleware as far as I know. Also don’t bother calling the phone number it doesn’t work lol.

16 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

for some reason-- I own the book but either never bothered to read it or notice it.

Here is the story retold from the site Comic Book Realm for this book-- though it was probably copied from somewhere else too.

Thanks for posting that. Extremely interesting. 

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

What a great story. And yeah, I was going to point out that if you had Ghost Rider 11 you'd have known what the deal was with 10. I didn't learn this until a few years ago.

Great chance for those looking to get a cheap copy of the reprint of the first Ghost Rider appearance.

I doubt I have given Ghost Rider much thought until this thread. Had no idea I had #1 (3.5 copy) or #9 and #10 (among a dozen others). But alas-- no #11 so I guess I will just have to imagine the fight with the Hulk. It is fun to embrace my first world problems.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:18 PM, jason4 said:

So I was shopping around some local shops in Pennsylvania and found a musty basement store called blue hen comics. Very old but nice owner.

Decent old books but nothing spectacular and everything priced higher than Ebay like every other comic store I’ve ever been to. Bought a couple bronze books and saw ghost rider 10. Looked forward to reading hulk fight the ghost rider, my money on it being some kind of draw after a misunderstanding.

After reading the whole book hoping for at least a cameo of hulk at the end I lol’d at myself for not realizing on splash page it said they missed the deadline so they reprinted ghost riders 1st appearance but had the wrong cover. Wow I never knew this. 

Also love buying books in person but it seems Ebay is always waaaaay cheaper for anything.

I can usually find some good deals on books that people are unaware of or the guide has yet to update. However if you're looking for a common bronze age book, yes. It will probably be overpriced compared to eBay or a convention.

A few weeks ago I read somewhere here that Iron Man 76 is a reprint of Iron Man 9 (again, with Hulk on cover)- this was the first I ever heard of a non-reprint title Marvel series that ran a reprint as a new issue. Never saw it in my years of collecting other titles (though I was aware of fill-in issues). So also Ghost Rider 10. Are there other examples?

9 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

A few weeks ago I read somewhere here that Iron Man 76 is a reprint of Iron Man 9 (again, with Hulk on cover)- this was the first I ever heard of a non-reprint title Marvel series that ran a reprint as a new issue. Never saw it in my years of collecting other titles (though I was aware of fill-in issues). So also Ghost Rider 10. Are there other examples?

well, X-Men was infamously such a poor seller that they were running reprints for 25 or so issues until the new team debut in issue 94.

2 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

There is an issue of Avengers, I think, that reprints the Amazing Adventures 12 where Beast "Killed" Ironman.  I can't recall the number though.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

well, X-Men was infamously such a poor seller that they were running reprints for 25 or so issues until the new team debut in issue 94.

The moral to that story being that those reprint issues (#67-93) are now more expensive than the non-reprint issues by virtue of sitting in .25 or .50 boxes from 1981-2000 or so when people realized just how rare some of those issues are.

3 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Astonishing Tales #29 is a reprint of MSH #18

Cap #216 is a reprint of ST #114

Cap #257 is a reprint of Not Brand Echh #11 and #12

Thor #158 is a reprint of JIM #83, with new material

Captain Marvel #36 is a reprint of MSH #12, with 3 framing pages

Conan #22 is a reprint of #1, since the art for #22 (and what became #23) vanished

Jungle Action #5 is a reprint of DD #69

Power Man #36 is a reprint of Hero for Hire #12

Marvel Presents #8 is a reprint of SS #2

Thor #254 is a reprint of Thor #159

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
10 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Astonishing Tales #29 is a reprint of MSH #18

Cap #216 is a reprint of ST #114

Cap #257 is a reprint of Not Brand Echh #11 and #12

Thor #158 is a reprint of JIM #83, with new material

Captain Marvel #36 is a reprint of MSH #12, with 3 framing pages

Conan #22 is a reprint of #1, since the art for #22 (and what became #23) vanished

Jungle Action #5 is a reprint of DD #69

Power Man #36 is a reprint of Hero for Hire #12

Marvel Presents #8 is a reprint of SS #2

Thor #254 is a reprint of Thor #159

Super Villain Team Up 15 reprints Astonishing Tales 4

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-man 6 reprints Marvel Team Up 3

Invaders 24 reprints Marvel Mystery 17

Avengers 150 reworked Avengers 16

FF 189 reprints FF Ann 4

Doctor Strange 3 reprints Strange Tales 126/127 w/framing

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, Brother J said:

I've been to this shop twice and the books are substantially highly than ebay or other online venues, in some cases 50% or more. I made a special trip just to go there and did not buy a single book. They do boast having a large supply of comic printing plates that were used to print issues, but the few in the store were thousands of dollars. I would not make the trip, but just my opinion.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:59 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Let's not forget Detective 477 reprinting Detective 408. (though there is a new framing by Rogers).

Marvel had nothing to do with that bit of deception.    thread integrity. :rulez:

Human Torch 7 reprints ST 107

Doc Strange v2 # 21 reprints Doc Strange v1 169

Edited by bababooey
HT series was all reprints