• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the true 1st Appearance of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel?

83 posts in this topic

What is the consensus on here? I have found several reputable sites that state the free Summer of Spider-Man #1 (one shot) was released March 2012 before the Avenging Spider-man #9 (sept 2012) so therefore the real first appearance (& on cover) of Carol Danvers as the new Captain Marvel. I've also seen both on eBay and Comic Realm that list both books as the 1st. I know it's a sampler but still Collectable right? What does CGC say, because it seems to me based on this info that Summer of Spider-Man is the true 1st. 

I would agree I guess the only real question is what they consider the first appearance. She is on the cover. She is in the book for multiple panels. This book came out first. 

I think it worries many who went whole hog on Avenging Spider-man 9 that this book threatens their value. I cant see any other reason and I think buyers will too
because its a cheaper investment as her popularity grows.

Edited by fastballspecial

You have it wrong - the people that need to change their view on the significance of the previews are the pump and dump types that try to hype them up all the time. The market has decided which appearance it considers more significant/valuable, and it is not the preview in this case.

1 hour ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

the preview book came first = 1st appearance

I think we all need to change our attitude on preview books. It seems most people hit a brick wall on them and refuse to acknowledge their significance.

Preview means pre... view... seeing something BEFORE it's official.  You're suggesting we all stop celebrating our birthday and start celebrating the anniversary of our first ultrasound. 

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Preview means pre... view... seeing something BEFORE it's official.  You're suggesting we all stop celebrating our birthday and start celebrating the anniversary of our first ultrasound. 

you're trying to compare apples to oranges

34 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Were you born more than once?

:whatthe:

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
46 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Were you born more than once?

:whatthe:

Religious jokes aside... :wink:

I don't get how anyone is taking something that is the definition of a "preview" and arguing that it means the same thing as "view".  What happened to the "pre"?

The first appearance of a character (living or fictional) is the first time that character is involved in the universe it joins, not the first time it's shown to be on its way soon.  If we have to start celebrating previews as the first appearance of characters, then we should stop celebrating birthdays and start celebrating ultrasound photographs.   Both are the same level of ridiculous.

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Religious jokes aside... :wink:

I don't get how anyone is taking something that is the definition of a "preview" and arguing that it means the same thing as "view".  What happened to the "pre"?

The first appearance of a character (living or fictional) is the first time that character is involved in the universe it joins, not the first time it's shown to be on its way soon.  If we have to start celebrating previews as the first appearance of characters, then we should stop celebrating birthdays and start celebrating ultrasound photographs.   Both are the same level of ridiculous.

Whatever happened to using your eyes and seeing something for the first time? First "appearance".

Your definition is not an industry standard. Nor is cameo, etc..

If you don't agree, that's fine. I think the market has spoken on this particular book as to which they would rather have.

A birthday is just that. The day of birth. You're confusing different things.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Why are you redefining "preview" to mean "view"?  What happened to the "pre"?

1 : to see beforehand; specifically : to view or to show in advance of public presentation
2 : to give a preliminary survey of

"to see", appear
15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Of course it is and has been forever. Previews that consist of material that was created for another book are just ads.

Your pre-internet opinion. There is no governing body for comic books for unbiased decisions.

28 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

So is the first appearance of Tony Stark in the MCU "Iron Man"?  Or the "Iron Man" trailer?  :roflmao:

Only trailers matter. Why would anybody waste their time watching a full movie? :screwy:

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Only trailers matter. Why would anybody waste their time watching a full movie? :screwy:

Trailers don't matter if there's a teaser poster with "coming soon" at the bottom.  That's the first appearance of Iron Man.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:
1 : to see beforehand; specifically : to view or to show in advance of public presentation
2 : to give a preliminary survey of

"to see", appear

You ignored the "beforehand".

Preview is view: "to see" and pre: "beforehand".

If it was an actual view, it wouldn't have "pre".