• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the true 1st Appearance of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel?

83 posts in this topic

Preview books don't even feel like real comics to me. It's like a commercial, in print form.

It's like when baseball cards came in cereal boxes and whatnot, there were rookie cards, but no one really cared about them, and wanted the official versions.

16 minutes ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

If you guys take your head out of your butt, a lot of people do care about preview books. Just because you hate them doesn't make them any less relevant.

You aren't the authority of what counts as a 1st appearance.

If anyone does that their first observation might be that this entire debate is over the first "appearance" of a "name change"....a character freakin' name change. meh   

1 hour ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

If you guys take your head out of your butt,

you can realize you can make money off of unsuspecting collectors who don't know any better. There are 

a lot of people

who

do care about preview books.

We call them suckers.

Just because you hate them doesn't make them any less relevant.

Remember, comics are about making money. So anything you can use to sell to people relating to comics is fair game. 

If anyone questions you, tell them, "

You aren't the authority of what counts as a 1st appearance

!"

Throw as much doubt on the subject as you can, so people won't be sure what to believe.

As long as there is doubt... fanboys afraid to miss the next big thing... will foolishly spend their money.

Somebody has to milk the suckers of their money. That's what buying and selling and collecting modern comics is all about.

12 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

you can realize you can make money off of unsuspecting collectors who don't know any better. There are 

who

We call them suckers.

Remember, comics are about making money. So anything you can use to sell to people relating to comics is fair game. 

If anyone questions you, tell them, "

!"

Throw as much doubt on the subject as you can, so people won't be sure what to believe.

As long as there is doubt... fanboys afraid to miss the next big thing... will foolishly spend their money.

Somebody has to milk the suckers of their money. That's what buying and selling and collecting modern comics is all about.

Good point. You are the authority on what other people like. Just like the shirt you are wearing today. Everyone everywhere agrees it's awesome.

If you guys take your head out of your butt,

You first.

a lot of people do care about preview books.

Good for them! They're still preview books.

Just because you hate them doesn't make them any less relevant.

Who hates them?

You aren't the authority of what counts as a 1st appearance.

Don't have to be. The hobby isn't ruled by the stupidity of speculators and newbs.

Modern Collector: See this bag of Poop? It's from <random modern artist's> toliet. It's very valuable.

Normal Person: It's... poop.

Modern Collector: People LIKE this stuff.

Normal Person: It's POOP.

Modern Collector: YOU are not an authority on what is popular.

Normal Person: Oh for god's sake, it's POOP, man!

Modern Collector: Good point. You are the authority on what other people like. Just like the shirt you are wearing today. Everyone everywhere agrees it's awesome.

Normal Person: It has nothing to do with my 'authority' on anything or what I like and I don't like. You're trying to convince someone that something of no value, HAS value. It's poop.

Modern Collector: YOU’RE poop.

Normal Person: :facepalm: I weep for this generation of comic collectors.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

Modern Collector: See this bag of Poop? It's from <random modern artist's> toliet. It's very valuable.

Modern Collector: Good point. You are the authority on what other people like. Just like the shirt you are wearing today. Everyone everywhere agrees it's awesome.

Normal Person: It has nothing to do with my 'authority' on anything or what I like and I don't like. You're trying to convince someone that something of no value, HAS value. It's poop.

Lets not get Carried away, I Doubt it was was the Random Artist First Poop of that Consistency, But if it is a Modern Italian artist original design,that should be sent to CGC.  

You had it until the end where the Modern guy resorted to name calling. It was actually the "normal person" who did that and thus lost their credibility.

Edited by ygogolak

29 minutes ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Lots of old guys here. Seems you all are grumpy because the new generation is pushing you out. Nobody listens to your logic anymore

That is not true, Lots of Talk about Poop and Pushing out...  I gotta go ...BRB AFK

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif 

Lots of old guys here. Seems you all are grumpy because the new generation is pushing you out. Nobody listens to your logic anymore

Yes, the new generation pulling 50cent books from boxes and selling them for $5 each will be taking over very, very quickly.  All those grumpy old guys with the $10,000+ Golden Age books are shaking with fear.

37 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes, the new generation pulling 50cent books from boxes and selling them for $5 each will be taking over very, very quickly.  All those grumpy old guys with the $10,000+ Golden Age books are shaking with fear.

I Joke with the Millennial Collectors I meet.    Listen I have many books valued over 4K That I never spent that on.  But I also never Hit the Dollar been looking for that $4 book.  One guy at a con (I know Con Prices) had Avengers 277 for $500 9.8 selling saying "It is Speculation pricing I should read up on that."  So I Negotiated him Down on his Batman 119, (rip Van Batman!) Classic Steranko Cover Strange tales 150-155 157-158, WF 198,199 for 15-20 a piece all in VF+ condition . He said they Were his Dads, He wanted to By X-Men Red Variants and Metal Covers.   Ill Take the Classics for 600 Alex

8 minutes ago, Jaydee said:
54 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I Joke with the Millennial Collectors I meet.    Listen I have many books valued over 4K That I never spent that on.  But I also never Hit the Dollar been looking for that $4 book.  One guy at a con (I know Con Prices) had Avengers 277 for $500 9.8 selling saying "It is Speculation pricing I should read up on that."  So I Negotiated him Down on his Batman 119, (rip Van Batman!) Classic Steranko Cover Strange tales 150-155 157-158, WF 198,199 for 15-20 a piece all in VF+ condition . He said they Were his Dads, He wanted to By X-Men Red Variants and Metal Covers.   Ill Take the Classics for 600 Alex

lol

That's true... it's not like there aren't some "old-timers" also playing the new speculation game... and they have more capital than a 20-something who is flipping $1 books for $20.  It doesn't matter who is playing, new generation, old generation, Pepsi generation, if the supply exceeds demand, then the price falls.  When the demand comes from everywhere, books are in a good place... some locusts might move on, but demand comes from everywhere (like the classic books).  When demand is ONLY from a single group, such as speculators who are all following a website or a Facebook page, then it's going to take something else to keep the game going when the crowd moves on all at once.  "What IS hot" always becomes "What WAS hot"... so "get out quickly" is definitely the best advice.  If everyone knows what's happening and agrees that they're just locusts who like money, that's fine.  If you don't realize you're being fed upon, rather than doing the feeding... that's not fine.  

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

lol

That's true... it's not like there aren't some "old-timers" also playing the new speculation game... and they have more capital than a 20-something who is flipping $1 books for $20.  It doesn't matter who is playing, new generation, old generation, Pepsi generation, if the supply exceeds demand, then the price falls.  When the demand comes from everywhere, books are in a good place... some locusts might move on, but demand comes from everywhere (like the classic books).  When demand is ONLY from a single group, such as speculators who are all following a website or a Facebook page, then it's going to take something else to keep the game going when the crowd moves on all at once.  "What IS hot" always becomes "What WAS hot"... so "get out quickly" is definitely the best advice.  If everyone knows what's happening and agrees that they're just locusts who like money, that's fine.  If you don't realize you're being fed upon, rather than doing the feeding... that's not fine.  

True, Buy on Rumor sell on trailer.  If I do not like the Characters or Issues I usually Stay Clear.  However I consider myself a Speculator as well.  Most of what I do is New Comics that have potential, based upon WRITER!.  I am Doing a MsMArvel spec look in my boxes.  I only have my Cap Marvel 1st series bronze (Sorry I like them not selling)  I bought many covers for my daughter of the Kelly Sue, run and if they hit $100+... Ill buy her a new bike, those Ill Sell.   I also have the Battle Scars so maybe that is spec.  

Edited by Jaydee