• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Godzilla fans? Help identifying...

12 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, koyama said:

I'm pretty sure that those are Chinese versions not Japanese.

Ah. Then I REALLY don't know Chinese lol . I guess I assumed Godzilla = Japanese.  I'm hoping to avoid opening them up as I have no interest in keeping them and would rather advertise as unopened when i do sell them. Anyone think they will work in a regular dvd player? 

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

They might be VCDs. What do the backs look like? Where did they come from?

6 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

They were just part of a big Godzilla collection I got last year. Slowly working my way through the end of it. Pics of the backs: 

20180815_002633.jpg

20180815_002650.jpg

20180815_002603.jpg

20180815_002619.jpg

Poonton is correct.  You have VCDs.  You can see Video CD on the back.  These may or may not play in standard DVD players.  I have played VCDs in a multi-region DVD players.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

They might be VCDs. What do the backs look like? Where did they come from?

This.

Link

We decided to mix things up a little this week. Instead of the standard VHS, we've featured a VCD. VCD (first released in 1993) was, in many ways, a precursor to DVD. However, the format was most popular in most of Asia, excluding Japan and South Korea.

Here we have the VCD release of Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monster All-Out Attack, otherwise known as GMK (for those who don't want to remember a title as lengthy as a short novella). 

This VCD features English and Chinese subtitles, both of which appear on the screen at the same time. That's not really a problem insomuch as both the Japanese and Cantonese audio are also going on at the same time! Why would a company feature dual non-removable soundtracks that play concurrently? Who knows (maybe The Shadow)? There's nothing quite like two languages being spoken at the same time to insure the viewer will be thrust upon the brink of madness.

Also, take note of the back of the VCD packaging, which states, "50 years after the first attack in 1954, Godzilla returns to Japan to take ravage." Ravage? From Transformers?