• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

They should be ending both roughly the same time so plenty to talk about ...

All I can say is that if I was a consignor, I would certainly not be very happy with what these 2 auction houses are doing.  :slapfight:

Similar to their Event Auction back in March, not only are the auctions for CC and CL ending on the same days, they are also ending at the same times.  

With ComicConnect's 3-minute extended auction format, it's hard enough to keep track of their auctions as they are "ending".  Now, we also have to stay on top of the CL auction lots which are also ending at the exact same times.  :screwy:

Definitely good for the buyers if some of the potential bidders are busy elsewhere, but definitely not so good for the consignors. hm

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

already at 15K after less than 24hrs

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

Well, I guess it's all about the covers as this Blue Beetle with the classic Kamen female bondage cover is only in VF condition, but already approaching the $1,500 mark:

RAD3B71A2018625_115124.jpg

While the other 2 Kamen Blue Bettle GGA covers are lagging far behind at only around the $100 mark at this point.

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

already at 15K after less than 24hrs

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

Museum piece...just incredible. Even more amazing, Clink added a 2nd copy of this book in 9.2(Q) and a couple other HG LB Cole Blue Bolts that never come up for sale in high grade.

lou_fine - Only 8.0 on the Blue Beetle 52?  ONLY?  This is one of the TEN ... that is ZEHN ...  DIEZ ...  KUMI ... that is one of the 10 best copies of 31 total graded copies.  There are so many other books - say early Marvels for example that exist in the hundreds and even thousands that sell for $10,000 plus.  The question I have is why isn't it already at $10,000 plus ... the demand is there and the supply is so low - perfect storm.  I'd rather have a Blue Beetle 52 in 8.0 rather than nearly any silver or bronze age book, but I like GGA.  Anyway, when you say it's ALREADY AT $1500... I say it's NOT EVEN AT $1500.  The other two Blue Beetles (50 & 51) that you mention as having low bid prices so far - are also cool - but they are BGA - bad girl art - they are angry looking villainesses, stealing, and poised to kill Blue Beetle with a knife and shooting a gun.  They are not GGA (Good Girl Art) - the gorgeous blond on 52.  She is in bondage and crisis with the hero coming to save the day as the water rises - a real damsal in distress. 

By the way this is not my book - and I'm not trying to pump it, but if it were - I'd sure want a lot more than $1500 for it - if this book actually sold for $1500 consider what we could go buy with that $1500 - nothing comparable.  Your just 8.0 comment just yanked my chain.  By the way, there was a time when $1500 would have been high - but that was years ago - prices have changed and as the market becomes more aware of how rare this sort of book is in grades even 5.0 and above - much less 8.0 and above - well you get the idea.  

That's just my 10 cents.  I'm not trying to give you a hard time - but we're talking ten copies in 8.0 and above - the demand far exceeds the supply.

Edited by blackterror

54 minutes ago, blackterror said:

lou_fine - Only 8.0 on the Blue Beetle 52?  ONLY?  This is one of the TEN ... that is ZEHN ...  DIEZ ...  KUMI ... that is one of the 10 best copies of 31 total graded copies.  There are so many other books - say early Marvels for example that exist in the hundreds and even thousands that sell for $10,000 plus.  The question I have is why isn't it already at $10,000 plus ... the demand is there and the supply is so low - perfect storm.  I'd rather have a Blue Beetle 52 in 8.0 rather than nearly any silver or bronze age book, but I like GGA.  Anyway, when you say it's ALREADY AT $1500... I say it's NOT EVEN AT $1500.  The other two Blue Beetles (50 & 51) that you mention as having low bid prices so far - are also cool - but they are BGA - bad girl art - they are angry looking villainesses, stealing, and poised to kill Blue Beetle with a knife and shooting a gun.  They are not GGA (Good Girl Art) - the gorgeous blond on 52.  She is in bondage and crisis with the hero coming to save the day as the water rises - a real damsal in distress. 

By the way this is not my book - and I'm not trying to pump it, but if it were - I'd sure want a lot more than $1500 for it - if this book actually sold for $1500 consider what we could go buy with that $1500 - nothing comparable.  Your just 8.0 comment just yanked my chain.  By the way, there was a time when $1500 would have been high - but that was years ago - prices have changed and as the market becomes more aware of how rare this sort of book is in grades even 5.0 and above - much less 8.0 and above - well you get the idea.  

That's just my 10 cents.  I'm not trying to give you a hard time - but we're talking ten copies in 8.0 and above - the demand far exceeds the supply.

@blackterror @lou_fine Nobody really wants this Blue Beetle book and I think it is about maxed out now and people should stop talking about it and think about other books at this time.  

With the exception of the aforementioned rag I think that the C Link auction has a more interesting auction that CC this time. That doesn’t happen usually but I have bids in on 60+ lots on this one. 

Yeah that Blue Bolt #105 snapped my head back last night. Amazing copy, and already at $15k, so there's definitely a few bidders who are in it to win it. It's probably not gonna move much more until the last few minutes (unless there's some testing to see what maxes have been put in), but man is that gonna be a tense game of "who blinks first" in the last few minutes and Im sure the price will sky rocket. 

cant wait to watch. 

I'm wondering why CLINK didn't bother to separate out the auction into their usual sections? Spreading the ages across all three days (a'la ComicConnect) as opposed to a GA day, a SA/BA day and a Copper/Modern/Other day...  Was not thrilled that I had to go thru 31 pages of listing to see the GA books interspersed with Spidey, FF and so on...

I wonder if they have better results one way vs the other.... 

Edited by miraclemet

28 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Yeah that Blue Bolt #105 snapped my head back last night. Amazing copy, and already at $15k, so there's definitely a few bidders who are in it to win it. It's probably not gonna move much more until the last few minutes (unless there's some testing to see what maxes have been put in), but man is that gonna be a tense game of "who blinks first" in the last few minutes and Im sure the price will sky rocket. 

cant wait to watch. 

I'm wondering why CLINK didn't bother to separate out the auction into their usual sections? Spreading the ages across all three days (a'la ComicConnect) as opposed to a GA day, a SA/BA day and a Copper/Modern/Other day...  Was not thrilled that I had to go thru 31 pages of listing to see the GA books interspersed with Spidey, FF and so on...

I wonder if they have better results one way vs the other.... 

...If you click the "Other Publishers" link on the home page of the auction  it weeds out all of the 'unwanted' if esoteric is what you are just wanting to see

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Featured auctions are listed alphabetically, Focused are alpha within Age.  Been that way, if not always, then awhile.

4 hours ago, blackterror said:

Just speaking for myself, but I can't get into that BB52.    I was never that into the BB covers.   Sacrilege I know.

4 hours ago, blackterror said:

Not a problem at all as I believe you may have missed my point as I feel the same way about the book as you.  (thumbsu

I was comparing it relative to the nosebleed grade of CGC 9.8 for the Blue Bolt 105 whereby the $15K price to date would have been greatly influenced by that number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  The CGC 8.0 Blue Beetle 52, on the other hand, coming in with an impressive $1,500 pretty much right out of the starting gates is due much more to the value of the underlying book itself and less so to the sometimes transitory value of a CGC's highest graded label.

Although we always hear about multi million dollar sales for CGC 9.0 copies of Action 1 which always catches the attention of the media and the public, I am more impress when lower graded copies of books can achieve big dollars relative to condition guide.  For example, I was impressed when CC was able to auction off CGC 3.0 graded copies of Detective 29 (45th highest graded) and Detective 38 (75th highest graded) at something like 4X condition guide.  Doesn't have to be the highest graded, but you can see that the real value is in the underlying book itself.

As for the Blue Beetle 52, I feel this book has been undervalued for the longest time and its day in the sun is indeed about to come.  The fact that it can hit $1,500 mere hours into the auction from my point of view is an indication that we are going to see another much deserved record result for this previously under-appreciated book.  Hate to say this, but I actually prefer the BB 52 with its bold beautiful colors more so than the BB 54 which has long held the title as one of the premiere GGA covers from decades ago when Overstreet first identified this genre of comic book collecting way back when.

32 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Just speaking for myself, but I can't get into that BB52.    I was never that into the BB covers.   Sacrilege I know.

No, not sacrilege, but definitely bad taste on your part here.  :baiting:  lol

But as always, to each their own.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

With the exception of the aforementioned rag I think that the C Link auction has a more interesting auction that CC this time. That doesn’t happen usually but I have bids in on 60+ lots on this one. 

Yes, definitely the case as there are a lot of second tier GA publishers like Centaurs and Fox which did not seem to be in the CC auction on this go round.

Clear evidence is that I have bids in on over 20 books in the CC auction and I am either winning them or the first under bidder on all of them.  Either nobody's paying much attention this time due to the lack of relative quality or it's still too early with CC's extended auction bidding format where everything is really determined in the extended bidding time period that there is not much point to bid now.  (shrug)

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not a problem at all as I believe you may have missed my point as I feel the same way about the book as you.  (thumbsu

I was comparing it relative to the nosebleed grade of CGC 9.8 for the Blue Bolt 105 whereby the $15K price to date would have been greatly influenced by that number on the top left hand corner of the slab.  The CGC 8.0 Blue Beetle 52, on the other hand, coming in with an impressive $1,500 pretty much right out of the starting gates is due much more to the value of the underlying book itself and less so to the sometimes transitory value of a CGC's highest graded label.

Although we always hear about multi million dollar sales for CGC 9.0 copies of Action 1 which always catches the attention of the media and the public, I am more impress when lower graded copies of books can achieve big dollars relative to condition guide.  For example, I was impressed when CC was able to auction off CGC 3.0 graded copies of Detective 29 (45th highest graded) and Detective 38 (75th highest graded) at something like 4X condition guide.  Doesn't have to be the highest graded, but you can see that the real value is in the underlying book itself.

As for the Blue Beetle 52, I feel this book has been undervalued for the longest time and its day in the sun is indeed about to come.  The fact that it can hit $1,500 mere hours into the auction from my point of view is an indication that we are going to see another much deserved record result for this previously under-appreciated book.  Hate to say this, but I actually prefer the BB 52 with its bold beautiful colors more so than the BB 54 which has long held the title as one of the premiere GGA covers from decades ago when Overstreet first identified this genre of comic book collecting way back when.

When talking about the impact of "highest graded" regarding market valuation, there's a different between a GA highest graded 9.8 and a GA highest graded 8.0 (just as an example)

sure the 8.0 might be super scarce, but there's still plenty of room for a raw copy to come out of the woodwork (or a black hole becomes a non-black hole) and top the 8.0

the chance that a GA 9.8 gets topped, or matched is my less likely. 

So the price for the 9.8 gets re-inforced because there is more faith in it retaining part of it's "collector" value for being highest graded.