• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

This is the most exciting CLink auction that I can remember. I've never had so many "gotta keep an eye on this" books favorited. I do agree that I wish the major players would do a better job at trying to keep end dates separate though. That just benefits all parties.

Except for buyers who might just be able to scoop up a book for a bit less if other potential bidders are busy elsewhere.  hm

As for me, although there appears to be quite a bit more of nice GA books this time, I doubt that I will be able to win any of them since I don't like CL's auction format.  I don't like the idea of having to blindly throw in high bids at the end hoping to win a book.  I much rather prefer the extended bidding process that CC utilizes since it allows me to  have more control in terms of knowing exactly how much a book is going to cost me.  (thumbsu

As a result, the only books that I have ever won off CL are basically just low ball offers for books that nobody else must want.  doh!  lol

14 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't dislike CL's auction format. I set my max offer that I'm willing to pay and let it ride. If I win great if I lose there will one day be a next.

I am not a huge fan but take the same approach although I do place my max bid about 1 minute before it ends. That’s usually when I know my max. 

17 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't dislike CL's auction format. I set my max offer that I'm willing to pay and let it ride. If I win great if I lose there will one day be a next.

Always feel the system is working against you with CC not so much CL which if you plan right you got a chance without the nose bleed :smile:

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

(thumbsu

I was comparing it relative to the nosebleed grade of CGC 9.8 for the Blue Bolt 105 whereby the $15K price to date would have been greatly influenced by that number on the top left hand corner of the slab. 

fyi, this copy was bought raw :nyah: from SDCC and remained in a Vancouver, BC collection for over 25 years.

1 hour ago, WoWitHurts said:

Why do you feel the system is against you with CC?

When there is just seconds left in a Clink auction, you simply place your bid and :wishluck:. There’s likely not enough time to submit another. It’s win or go home. CC on the other hand can go on and on, back and forth for quite the duration. This can often extract more than what you were willing to bid such as that last second bid at Clink. With CC a late bid adds 3 minutes for you to squirm and say WTF why not just another bid. Wah-La the system working against you, right Jack? Something along those lines.

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I put in quite a few tracking bids but nothing that is a “I’ll die if I don’t win that”

This made me laugh!  A couple years ago when I got an error message while trying to bid on a Captain America Comics #72 7.0 W Canadian Edition in a CLink auction I felt like I may die...but I am still hanging on haha

Did I mention it is the only known copy to exist?  Or that I held the physical book in my hands just a few weeks earlier when Greg Reece brought it to Boston Comic Con but I didn't pull the trigger?  Ehh...

Some day someone will do a scientific study to determine the best way to win books for the cheapest price with all these auction formats...  Till then, I'll just be putting in my max bid several hours before the end of the auction, no matter what the site is.  Too paranoid about lag to try and snipe in the last few seconds, and don't feel like playing comicconnect's game and spending 30 minutes+ incrementally bidding up a single book...its just too aggravating.

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Which is why Elvis was the king.

No video fight game button mashing for the king. Just slide your bets over and let it ride...

28527395-696A-4C6F-AEB5-E5570214CA26.gif.dfa3a0429dd25d249b01605f9a745193.gif

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Some day someone will do a scientific study to determine the best way to win books for the cheapest price with all these auction formats...  Till then, I'll just be putting in my max bid several hours before the end of the auction, no matter what the site is.  Too paranoid about lag to try and snipe in the last few seconds, and don't feel like playing comicconnect's game and spending 30 minutes+ incrementally bidding up a single book...its just too aggravating.

I still think the above advice from Elvis is good with high profile or hot books. Set the highest bid you’re comfortable with a let it ride. That’s doesn’t mean you’re not going to over pay at times just you’re not putting yourself in a position of unhappiness for overextending yourself. So think hard what your maximum can be first.

If you’re looking for books at a more bargain or value pricing check your surroundings (current auction content, close auctions, multiple books of the same issue,etc.) and don’t follow the herd.

7 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

When there is just seconds left in a Clink auction, you simply place your bid and :wishluck:. There’s likely not enough time to submit another. It’s win or go home. CC on the other hand can go on and on, back and forth for quite the duration. This can often extract more than what you were willing to bid such as that last second bid at Clink. With CC a late bid adds 3 minutes for you to squirm and say WTF why not just another bid. Wah-La the system working against you, right Jack? Something along those lines.

The words right out of my mouth win or go home on Clink or empty your wallet on CC if you want it.so bad imho  :insane: 

7 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Ah. I see. I like that myself, it is more like a real auction. CC an pedigree take that last second snipe out of it. Though I have had more success in CL auctions.

3 hours ago, comicjack said:
10 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

The words right out of my mouth win or go home on Clink or empty your wallet on CC if you want it.so bad imho  :insane: 

Yeah, with CLink you avoid being overcome with auction fever the way you can on CC -- just one more bid ... well, ok, just one more ... just one more! I really mean it this time ... the other guy can't go any higher than one more bid, can he? ....

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, with CLink you avoid being overcome with auction fever the way you can on CC -- just one more bid ... well, ok, just one more ... just one more! I really mean it this time ... the other guy can't go any higher than one more bid, can he? ....

I am 1000% certain this would reside in someone else’s collection if it had been auctioned on clink rather than comicconnect. 

99832DBF-3A73-47B3-A3E8-88897B4CB81B.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I had a flashback of a certain Bill Barnes issue duel I had on CC  with a certain Boardie who answered that question for me in no uncertain terms :whistle:

1 minute ago, sagii said:
14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I had a flashback of a certain Bill Barnes issue duel I had on CC  with a certain Boardie who answered that question for me in no uncertain terms :whistle:

Well, I'm not as bad as going up against @cheetah !