• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2018 at 12:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but what happens if you actually end up winning one of them and it's completely overgraded and possibly even restored:  doh!  (:

RADFD5A22009121_182555.jpg

I've only bought four PGX GA books, all of which I cracked out. A 4.0, I thought was more of 3.5, another 4.0 I thought was more like a 4.5, a 6.0 I thought was spot on, and a 7.5 that looks to me to have minor resto, professional, but evident if you are looking for it, and should not have been missed. It also looked like a 6.5/7.0 out of the slab.

The lesson for me is don't buy anything more than midgrade, and don't spend a lot, just in case they missed resto. In all cases I paid less than what they would have sold for raw if advertised in the same grades, so it hardly seems worth the money to get anything PGX graded. 

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

I've only bought four PGX GA books, all of which I cracked out. A 4.0, I thought was more of 3.5, another 4.0 I thought was more like a 4.5, a 6.0 I thought was spot on, and a 7.5 that looks to me to have minor resto, professional, but evident if you are looking for it, and should not have been missed. It also looked like a 6.5/7.0 out of the slab.

The lesson for me is don't buy anything more than midgrade, and don't spend a lot, just in case they missed resto. In all cases I paid less than what they would have sold for raw if advertised in the same grades, so it hardly seems worth the money to get anything PGX graded. 

Bought a pgx 9.2, they missed the restoration check.  If I had scraped off the color touch it would become a cgc 7.0

5 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Bought a pgx 9.2, they missed the restoration check.  If I had scraped off the color touch it would become a cgc 7.0

You can't trust them at all in page quality.  I'm not sure they even try.

37 minutes ago, cheetah said:
5 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

You can't trust them at all in page quality.  I'm not sure they even try.

My theory is they don't even open the book. That way they can get through books and obviously make more profit.  The only time they open it may be to insert the acid free paper if they even do that or just want to read it.

9 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I think the only people who submit to PGX are the ones that already know their books had been restored and/or trimmed to get a "blue label"

there's FF1 pgx 9.2 signed already at $41k.  Roll the dice?   Or one can go over to CL and get the real deal at 7.0 or 6.5

Edited by Spiderturtle

I’m still surprised comic connect and comic link accept pgx given There are so many issues with their vintage graded books (moderns seem to be fine).

Just now, G.A.tor said:

I’m still surprised comic connect and comic link accept pgx given There are so many issues with their vintage graded books (moderns seem to be fine).

Rick, doesn't CL list PGX like the raw books?  Certification search is only for CGC and/or CBCS.  CC's advanced search just has third party graded which does include PGX search results.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Rick, doesn't CL list PGX like the raw books?  Certification search is only for CGC and/or CBCS.  CC's advanced search just has third party graded which does include PGX search results.

I’m just surprised they would accept pgx consignments from customers 

heritage does not , right?

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Never seen a PGX offering. CL and CC should follow suite.

21 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

What how do I ever sell my Tec 1 and 27 Bat 1 do I crack them out :whistle: I don't even want to sell but my feelings are hurt by you 2 :whatthe:

18 minutes ago, woowoo said:
42 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

What how do I ever sell my Tec 1 and 27 Bat 1 do I crack them out :whistle: I don't even want to sell but my feelings are hurt by you 2 :whatthe:

Well, if it's PGX "graded" copies, did you also pick them up for $100 a pop?   :wishluck:  :takeit:

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's PGX "graded" copies, did you also pick them up for $100 a pop?   :wishluck:  :takeit:

I think I got a copy of Fantastic comics 3 beat but pgx graded so not worth you 100 bucks:hi:

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I didn't remember ever seeing any PGX on HA so I did a quick search with keyword PGX across all comics.  One modern available for immediate sale and there were two prior sales.  Both modern age -

October, 2017 - lot of four CGC graded Bats plus a PGX BA Bats (from the Don Rosa Collection per the PGX label)

December, 2012 -  a CGC Grimm Fairy Tales along with a PGX graded copy of the same title.