• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

Wonder if someone is going to gamble and remove the CT and put in a blue holder.  If it retains the 4.0 or even a 3.5, big win. 

+1 if the grade can remain about the same.  Plus, cover alignment is pretty much perfect which isn't always easy to get with this issue.

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Sheesh. Is Blue Bolt #105 the next Terrific #5? L.B. Cole vs Schombourg. cLink has Blue Bolt #105 Cgc 9.8 at close to $38k and Cgc 9.2 missing a page :cry: at $3,111 closing later today.

You're living in the past sir. They closed last night. :foryou: 

4 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Wonder if someone is going to gamble and remove the CT and put in a blue holder.  If it retains the 4.0 or even a 3.5, big win. 

That was my thinking...if I would've been lucky enough to get the book, I would've eventually sent it in to Matt at CCS to see if it's possible to remove the CT.  I was also thinking the book would go in the 4500-5000 range.  Not even close :ohnoez:

1 minute ago, bounty_coder said:

*High Five* nice work Frank!  Congratulations! :foryou:

I fell into a similar boat with the Blue Bolt #105 9.2 Q  Simply Elated with the Win.

Yup that's a killer too!

On 8/20/2018 at 8:45 PM, telerites said:
On 8/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, RareHighGrade said:

No matter how many of the 18,000 Church books flood the market, with only a very small handful of exceptions, there will always only be one Church copy of any given book.  And that copy will be, in the vast majority of cases, the nicest copy in existence.  For these reasons, I don't think the current proliferation of Church books will devalue the pedigree.

My ramblings were more personal feelings and philosophic.  Devaluing in losing the aura I perceived of them.   They seemed unattainable to me when first discovered but I was just a scrawny teen mowing yards saving for my first car.  I finally managed to buy my first Church book while in college.  Catman #13. Still have it.  You're right of course, only one Church of a book which IS special. :smile:

I guess it shows just how many Church copies Veryzl had.  Many of them were theoretically for sale in those thick binders he used to bring to shows, but the prices were so stiff that I don't think he sold many.  

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Ok, so the #33 and the #19 are spoken for... I wonder who got the book right in the middle between those? hm

Oh, wait.

That was me.  :grin:

0915006003.jpg

Congrats.  One of my favorite covers.  Everything about it says "early Superman"

46 minutes ago, Frank Grow said:

I'm new to the boards but had to share this with some folks who can appreciate it...
I was totally blown away by this cover when first saw it years ago in the Gerber book- def my favorite of the run, and couldn't pass up the chance to throw a bid at a 9.  Didn't think I'd get it for what I bid, which was more than Ive ever paid for a book. And I wasn't able to follow the auction live, so I was totally surprised when I did check!

WeirdTales112.jpg

Nice pick-up!  I was contemplating thowing a last minute bid at the 114, but luckily I fell asleep...

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Looks like the PQ got downgraded on resub.  

Does the fact that it previously said 2 wraps detached and now just says "centerfold detached" mean that one wrap got reattached?

No, it was the other way around:  it had just the centerfold detached the first grading, but had 2 wraps detached the second grading. I’m talking to CGC about it now.

Not sure what CGC will be able to do here as it appears that somebody somewhere along the line did not handle the book with enough care when they decided to crack it out and go for the upgrade.  As for the PQ going down, that's not really totally abnormal as many boardies here tend to say that PQ is the most inconsistent part about the entire CGC grading process.  :frown:

The positive I see here for you is that the lower PQ and the second wrap being detached probably was a factor for the price drop and resulted in the book falling into your lap, where it otherwise might have gone for a higher price to somebody else.  (thumbsu

23 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Nice pick-up!  I was contemplating thowing a last minute bid at the 114, but luckily I fell asleep...

Yeah that ones a beauty too, but I had to go with the 9.  Wouldn't have got the 114 at my limit.

Edited by Frank Grow

7 hours ago, szavisca said:

Had to go a little bananas to get this last night, but feel pretty confident that this'll look like a bargain in not too long, my favorite of the run by far.

CowgirlRomances11NM.jpg

Yes, looks like that entire run of HG Cowgirl Romances did really well last night.  (thumbsu

And you just might be able to sell it for much more money considering that it is the single highest graded copy and deep pocket collectors like Greggy and Richard seems to now be hunting down these romance books.  Just be sure to emphasize the romance angle and not so much the Western theme whenever you do go to sell these books.  :bigsmile:  :flipbait:

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, looks like that entire run of HG Cowgirl Romances did really well last night.  (thumbsu

And you just might be able to sell it for much more money considering that it is the single highest graded copy and deep pocket collectors like Greggy and Richard seems to now be hunting down these romance books.  Just be sure to emphasize the romance angle and not so much the Western theme whenever you do go to sell these books.  :bigsmile:  :flipbait:

It’ll be my heirs selling this one...

I’ll be sure to tell them to emphasize the ‘classic cat fight” feel the cover has to whoever they sell it to, as well as the superior technical quality of Whitman’s work relative to his contemporaries.

I don’t normally care to pay a premium for highest graded but this one could conceivably hold the title for a while ... the Church copy is a 9.0.

Pardon my rambling I just really really love this book, and am thrilled to have been able to get a hold of it for about the price of a Hulk 181 5.0 nowadays...

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure what CGC will be able to do here as it appears that somebody somewhere along the line did not handle the book with enough care when they decided to crack it out and go for the upgrade.  As for the PQ going down, that's not really totally abnormal as many boardies here tend to say that PQ is the most inconsistent part about the entire CGC grading process.  :frown:

The positive I see here for you is that the lower PQ and the second wrap being detached probably was a factor for the price drop and resulted in the book falling into your lap, where it otherwise might have gone for a higher price to somebody else.  (thumbsu

CGC didnt do anything wrong here.  I talked to Matt Nelson and he filled me in.  The previous owner tried to bump it up a grade by having it pressed by persons unknown, and then the book was resubmitted as a raw to CGC.  Whoever did the pressing got some bends out of it, but somewhere in the process, a second wrap became detached.  So whatever improvements got made on the bends, got lost when the second wrap detached.  I guess I view this as a cautionary tale:  some rolls of the dice turn out better than others.  And yes, you are right:  in the final analysis, I got the same Cap 3 6.5 for $10k less than otherwise.

I'm keeping the book, happy to have it, and still love CGC

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost
accuracy