• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, eccomic said:

Just WOW...... :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=656651

Hammered at 19K+

k_o1_2a.jpg

Now, that's definitely looks like a knockout winning bid to me.  lol

Except for the first comics such as Funnies on Parade, I wonder if this is a record price paid for a promotional comic book?  hm

Definitely a surprising result to the positive side given that although there is not normally not much of a supply for these early promotional comic books, likewise there is also usually not much of a demand for them either.  This result is especially surprising considering there is another higher graded CGC 9.2 copy out there and this one went for something like over 37X condition guide.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Lou. I'm thrilled to have scored it. Agree, for a 3.0, the cover shows really well. I realized it was going to be a "go big or go home" scenario. I'm just relieved that @atomised didn't go bigger than me!

nice grab.  I was sitting at Amici's in Palo Alto having pizza trying to win that book on my cell phone.  Glad it went to a good home.

2 minutes ago, atomised said:
3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Lou. I'm thrilled to have scored it. Agree, for a 3.0, the cover shows really well. I realized it was going to be a "go big or go home" scenario. I'm just relieved that @atomised didn't go bigger than me!

nice grab.  I was sitting at Amici's in Palo Alto having pizza trying to win that book on my cell phone.  Glad it went to a good home.

Did either of you guys bothered to get the CGC Notes for this book since it definitely looks much nicer from just the front cover than its assigned G/VG 3.0 condition grade?  ???

Or is it something on the back cover since CL never bothers to provide scans for their back covers? :censored:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Except for the first comics such as Funnies on Parade, I wonder if this is a record price paid for a promotional comic book?  hm

Definitely a surprising result to the positive side given that although there is not normally not much of a supply for these early promotional comic books, likewise there is also usually not much of a demand for them either.  This result is especially surprising considering there is another higher graded CGC 9.2 copy out there and this one went for something like over 37X condition guide.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I was knee-deep in this action last night. I was winning when the bid was $3,500 with 3 minutes to go, and then things escalated rapidly from there. Even though I've been looking for a copy for at least 5 years, I wasn't willing to go where this bidding ultimately went.

I only need 8 EC promos, including this one, to complete the entire EC output. I'm stunned, and depressed. If this is representative of the situation, I may have to forget the promos...

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Seeing this reminded me of this story...

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

For sure, this tied for highest graded copy of Startling 49 will not be able to hit the 6-figures mark that the Church copy managed to achieve a couple of years ago:

sta2.508a.jpg

The only question is whether it will be able to hit the extended time bid button a few more times in order to match an equivalent graded 9.6 copy that sold for $54,970 a few months ago on Heritage?  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I almost sold my copy of KO Punch for an offer of $1500.00 roughly 3 years ago.....I declined :smile:

It is a 5.5 CGC Universal

IMG_6804.JPG

Edited by eccomic

On 8/30/2018 at 12:27 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

A little win tonight. Always liked the girl on the bed. 

553078BC-71DB-4FA0-AC8D-7C732956DCD0.jpeg

Yeah, she's a great Baker touch. :)

Looks like this book is a good candidate for reholdering, given the Newton rings. hm

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Did either of you guys bothered to get the CGC Notes for this book since it definitely looks much nicer from just the front cover than its assigned G/VG 3.0 condition grade?  ???

Or is it something on the back cover since CL never bothers to provide scans for their back covers? :censored:

sorry I did not

31 minutes ago, EC ed said:

I was knee-deep in this action last night. I was winning when the bid was $3,500 with 3 minutes to go, and then things escalated rapidly from there. Even though I've been looking for a copy for at least 5 years, I wasn't willing to go where this bidding ultimately went.

I only need 8 EC promos, including this one, to complete the entire EC output. I'm stunned, and depressed. If this is representative of the situation, I may have to forget the promos...

I figured you won it and we'd be starting a gofundme to feed your family. :)

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I figured you won it and we'd be starting a gofundme to feed your family. :)

This was my consolation prize...now I'm just one book (Sensation #38) away from completing the "All-American Publications Cover Logo" run...a run which only I have ever explicitly collected :D

The Mystery of the Missing Baby Doll! :banana: :insane: 

gre1.535a.jpg

Edited by EC ed

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Have always been a fan of these Black Terror covers and this looks to be another one of these so-called Japanese "racist" World War 2 covers by Schomburg, although definitely not as outlandish as the more colorful Black Terror #5 which sold in the same auction:

RAD87ABB2018731_105859.jpg

It would definitely appear that one of the hidden benefits of the Jon Berk Auction last summer was to remove some of the unfair stigma associated with both Conserved and Restored books.  This is clearly evident as this copy would most probably have not sold at virtually the full condition guide price which it did achieve the other night, if it had been auctioned off a few years ago.  (thumbsu

Will be interesting to see how the earlier and seemingly rarer HTF Black Terror issues in the Exciting Comics will do in tonight's CC auction.  :taptaptap:

Well, it looks like I got the answer to my question here with the Exciting Comics results on the CC Auction last night.  :flipbait:  lol

Especially in terms of this Conserved copy of Exciting Comics #23 which went for $800:  

exc1.495a.jpg

Although the CL Conserved copy of Black Terror #9 had sold for close to full condition guide, this Conserved copy of Startling Comics #23 was able to fetch close to a whopping 2.5X Overstreet condition guide price.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Makes me wonder if this rather surprising result is due in large part to Jon Berk whereby his landmark auction seem to have remove some of the unfair unfair and hugely negative stigma that had become associated with Conserved and restored books?  Or is it due to the apparent rarity of this book, or I imagine a combination of both.  hm

44 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I slept through most of these two auctions (and missed a book I could really kick myself for missing. :cry:), but did surface long enough last night to nab this one.

RAD7595C2018523_104319.jpg

You got a bargain for that with nice paper and one awesome cover in my opinion  :banana:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

3 hours ago, atomised said:

sorry I did not

Nah. The grader Notes are usually worthless. My guess is the spine is weak. Who knows about the back cover, though I love books with back cover defects!

10 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

3 hours ago, atomised said:

sorry I did not

Nah. The grader Notes are usually worthless. My guess is the spine is weak. Who knows about the back cover, though I love books with back cover defects!

Well, it's pretty obvious to me that you been a naughty boy and skipping your daily rationing of the CGC kool aid.  (tsk)  lol

After all, the Grader's Notes are a critical part of CCG's overall business agenda.  Especially since their goal is to not only reap the pressing and grading (along with subsequent repeats of course :wink:) fees for every book, but also for every single bidder to do their part by requesting and paying for the grading notes before they bid.  hm  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Monkeyman said:

Picked up a grail in the CL auction.  Incredible but true, not all comics are going up in value. :foryou:

1154493163_SingleSeries20.thumb.jpg.297ec997a98e7dfa0d5d4106fb1a73e1.jpg

Have always loved the bold Green colors on this particular book.  :luhv:

I imagined the price for this once thought of as rare book has been tempered a bit with all of the relatively high grade copies that have made their way into the marketplace during the past few years.  hm

But this particular Lost Valley pedigree copy has certainly gone up a bit from when it was first listed for sale for only $400 in the Lost Valley catalog from back in 2003.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I slept through most of these two auctions (and missed a book I could really kick myself for missing. :cry:), but did surface long enough last night to nab this one.

RAD7595C2018523_104319.jpg

Congrats! I really thought this would go for at least 4k.