• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, jhm said:

Wow, just Wow. I honestly thought I could be spending six figures this week and ended up with only a single win. I'm a hunter of high grade classic covers and the prices keep shocking me.

Sorry to those of who I may have run up a bit :foryou:

I did take this little beauty as an upgrade copy (thanks to the under bidder for FINALLY dropping out :bigsmile:):

win1.1276a.jpg.55dc806c2b7041b80536ae67ef6e7d2a.jpg

7 hours ago, zen514 said:

Congrats! Missed the action... luckily for both of us.

What was the final price?

Thanks! $4,000

Edited by jhm

21 hours ago, EC ed said:

This was my consolation prize...now I'm just one book (Sensation #38) away from completing the "All-American Publications Cover Logo" run...a run which only I have ever explicitly collected :D

The Mystery of the Missing Baby Doll! :banana: :insane: 

gre1.535a.jpg

I think it's a great run.  I remember reading about this quest in your journal a year to two back.  Important (and not widely understood) part of comics history.  Good luck on landing the last one!

5 minutes ago, szavisca said:

The write up says it sold for 90k in 2007 though.... ashcans seem pretty chaotic and risky.

Interesting, I missed that.  So, I guess that explains why they were nervous about what the hammer price would be.  And, yes, ashcans haven't really participated in the upswing in GA prices, as far as I can tell. 

18 hours ago, jhm said:

Thanks for the info- Yup looks like the same book- I'm seeing a few minor differences but a lot of identical looking marks.  I'll compare again when the book gets here.  Maybe pressed and cleaned?  Either way it's a 9 now...:smile:

On 8/29/2018 at 10:17 AM, szavisca said:

Had to go a little bananas to get this last night, but feel pretty confident that this'll look like a bargain in not too long, my favorite of the run by far.

CowgirlRomances11NM.jpg

Beautiful pick up my friend! :golfclap:Those colors are amazing, great cover artwork to boot! Certainly a keeper!

On 9/1/2018 at 11:01 AM, szavisca said:

The write up says it sold for 90k in 2007 though.... ashcans seem pretty chaotic and risky.

Almost like they are too rare to rise. :p

On 9/1/2018 at 10:07 AM, Sqeggs said:

Interesting, I missed that.  So, I guess that explains why they were nervous about what the hammer price would be.  And, yes, ashcans haven't really participated in the upswing in GA prices, as far as I can tell. 

I think they’re awesome. I wish the timing on the Wonder Woman and Supes copies were about 6 mos. from now. I’d have tried for those. So cool.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:03 PM, jhm said:

Wow, just Wow. I honestly thought I could be spending six figures this week and ended up with only a single win. I'm a hunter of high grade classic covers and the prices keep shocking me.

Sorry to those of who I may have run up a bit :foryou:

I did take this little beauty as an upgrade copy (thanks to the under bidder for FINALLY dropping out :bigsmile:):

win1.1276a.jpg.55dc806c2b7041b80536ae67ef6e7d2a.jpg

You are absolutely 100% right on your point here as this was the one book that I really wanted to win in the auction, but did not.  :cry:

From my personal point of view, this is the absolute best of the GGA art covers in the Wings run.  This book was seemingly stuck at the $1,550 price point prior to the end of the auction until I finally decided to throw something higher in there.  Was hoping that this CGC 9.4 highest graded copy would peak out somewhere around $3K since the last 9.4 (slightly nicer looking one) sold for $2,390 on Heritage back in 2011 when there were only 2 copies in this grade.  Now, with a much higher total of 6 copies in this 9.4 grade along with 36 others graded copies and many of them in the relatively high end, I was hoping this would keep a lid on the prices.  I guess in a way, this $4K was a reasonable price as the Heritage copy sold when the top of guide price was at only $330 and top of guide for this year is at a much higher $1,300 price point.  hm

I probably would have bidded higher than the $2,800 or thereabouts when I dropped out except I kept thinking about the raw what should have been a Fine+ copy except for some vertical crease defect that I had picked up from Metro for only $60 years ago and finally decided that I didn't really need the upgrade.  (thumbsu

Big congrats on your win here of what I considered to be a truly iconic cover.  :applause: