• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect and ComicLink August auctions
8 8

356 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

True. I missed out on a least HA book because of their format. I think they estimated that they would get through 80-120 items an hour (or something like that). I logged in based on that estimate, and even though I had a significant cushion (just in case they went a little fast), the item that I was interested in had already closed. I'm guessing they must have burned through 150 or more items per hour in that particular auction. My numbers might be off, but you get the idea.

Yes, it's tough to judge with HA because they can have a few books that attract many live bids, slowing the auction to a crawl.  Then they fly through a bunch of books when there's no live bidding. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, it's tough to judge with HA because they can have a few books that attract many live bids, slowing the auction to a crawl.  Then they fly through a bunch of books when there's no live bidding. 

Yes, that's another definite advantage with the CC auction format because they have an exact time when the auction will end (or go into their extended bidding time period).  (thumbsu

No need to wait around forever or to just missed out on a lot due to bad timing.  :taptaptap:

:idea: Why, you can even sneak out to the washroom if you happened to be out with your better half an go do your bidding from there if you don't want her to know about it.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Neat run of detective 1-26 up for auction 

Very neat indeed 

Yes indeed, especially when the prices on them are still so enticingly attractive.  hm

I imagine they won't end up like this by the end of the auction though.  

Especially when you see the books like the super rare 'Tec 2 in such bright beautiful condition and only at a tad over 25% to guide right now:

det1.15305a.jpg

:luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

16 minutes ago, atomised said:

one of these days I'm going to end up buying a book through a tracking bid on clink.   They can do better, and I love clink.

Yes, but what happens if you actually end up winning one of them and it's completely overgraded and possibly even restored:  doh!  (:

RADFD5A22009121_182555.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Tec1 Dedini copy would be a way cool book to own

det1.15300a.jpg

It certainly looks like Eldon kept his books in pretty nice shape, especially considering that these date all the way back to early 1937.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

It makes sad me in a way to see all the Church books available at auction.  The HA weekly auctions have been loaded with them - different genres.  To me, it makes the ped lose some of its mystique.  It is nice that more collectors can own a part of the collection but it seems to devalue it in a way.  The big books and desirable titles will always be in demand surely.  I guess I am just being sentimental when Rozanski snatched the collection and for me anyway, those books were hallowed gifts from the comic gods.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

It makes sad me in a way to see all the Church books available at auction.  The HA weekly auctions have been loaded with them - different genres.  To me, it makes the ped lose some of its mystique.  It is nice that more collectors can own a part of the collection but it seems to devalue it in a way.  The big books and desirable titles will always be in demand surely.  I guess I am just being sentimental when Rozanski snatched the collection and for me anyway, those books were hallowed gifts from the comic gods.

No matter how many of the 18,000 Church books flood the market, with only a very small handful of exceptions, there will always only be one Church copy of any given book.  And that copy will be, in the vast majority of cases, the nicest copy in existence.  For these reasons, I don't think the current proliferation of Church books will devalue the pedigree.

36 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

No matter how many of the 18,000 Church books flood the market, with only a very small handful of exceptions, there will always only be one Church copy of any given book.  And that copy will be, in the vast majority of cases, the nicest copy in existence.  For these reasons, I don't think the current proliferation of Church books will devalue the pedigree.

My ramblings were more personal feelings and philosophic.  Devaluing in losing the aura I perceived of them.   They seemed unattainable to me when first discovered but I was just a scrawny teen mowing yards saving for my first car.  I finally managed to buy my first Church book while in college.  Catman #13. Still have it.  You're right of course, only one Church of a book which IS special. :smile:

Edited by telerites

5 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

For these reasons, I don't think the current proliferation of Church books will devalue the pedigree.

Darn.  :sorry:

On 8/16/2018 at 2:53 AM, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that if I was a consignor, I would certainly not be very happy with what these 2 auction houses are doing.  :slapfight:

Similar to their Event Auction back in March, not only are the auctions for CC and CL ending on the same days, they are also ending at the same times.  

With ComicConnect's 3-minute extended auction format, it's hard enough to keep track of their auctions as they are "ending".  Now, we also have to stay on top of the CL auction lots which are also ending at the exact same times.  :screwy:

Definitely good for the buyers if some of the potential bidders are busy elsewhere, but definitely not so good for the consignors. hm

i hope that you, and the others who also dislike this silliness will reach out to both companies via email to voice your displeasure. for the most part i get the impression that cl, cc and HA really dont care about one or two folks complaining, but if they hear from enough folks, they just might start to pay attention. not posting back cover pics on CL is a particular peeve of mine but i’m learning to live with it and just emailing them about every book i like.

cc’s extended bidding time is clearly better designed to drain every last cent from bidders pockets. it is more true to classic auction formats, and has less surprises, but i feel it’s more manipulative. 

i think CL’s website is better, clearer and easier to navigate than cc. 

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
7 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i think CL’s website is better, clearer and easier to navigate than cc. 

+1

Personally, I think that both sites are just as easy to navigate.  (thumbsu

Although the CC site has a definite advantage in terms of providing potential bidders with a back cover image, I feel that the descriptive info provided by CL on each book can sometimes be helpful at times.  It's just a matter of wading through the info provided by them and not falling for the upsell hype that is also there at the same time.  lol

From a consignor's point of view though, the descriptive info provided for each book on CL is a definite selling feature, as opposed to CC whereby they simply give each book the bare bones info (except for the exact same stick info on key books) and it's up to the books to really sell themselves or for a knowledgeable potential bidder to know themselves.  Although there seems to be some improvement lately, CC really needs to up their game here if they want to get the quality consignments for their auctions, even if it means they have to hire an additional knowledgeable person to do this.  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although the CC site has a definite advantage in terms of providing potential bidders with a back cover image, I feel that the descriptive info provided by CL on each book can sometimes be helpful at times.  It's just a matter of wading through the info provided by them and not falling for the upsell hype that is also there at the same time.  lol

From a consignor's point of view though, the descriptive info provided for each book on CL is a definite selling feature, as opposed to CC whereby they simply give each book the bare bones info (except for the exact same stick info on key books) and it's up to the books to really sell themselves or for a knowledgeable potential bidder to know themselves.  Although there seems to be some improvement lately, CC really needs to up their game here if they want to get the quality consignments for their auctions, even if it means they have to hire an additional knowledgeable person to do this.  hm

Good observations and I concur.  What's important to me is that I can browse through the Clink site so much faster than CC. I hate CC's vertical, stock information about the book. Does anybody seriously bidding on an AF15 not know about the contents ? CC should bring in Doug Schmell for their writeups, they could use some flare !

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On 8/21/2018 at 9:09 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

cc’s extended bidding time is clearly better designed to drain every last cent from bidders pockets. it is more true to classic auction formats, and has less surprises, but i feel it’s more manipulative. 

But it's just so much more fun to have a front row seat to all of the excitement when a book takes off in the extended hours bidding. (thumbsu

With the CL method, it's more like coming out from the hidden bomb shelter to see if a bomb had gone off or not while you was in there secreted away from all of the action.  :ph34r:  lol

On 8/21/2018 at 7:14 PM, lou_fine said:

Totally agree. The guys at CL really do put a lot of effort into the descriptions. A major reason why I have consigned only with them thus far