• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic Shop Experience
1 1

48 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

Show us the return address on the box. That doesn't look like any  MCS  package I've ever gotten.

No, those do look like the foam blocks MCS uses. But the slabs I have received are normally also packaged in one of those individual-sized MCS protective boxes. They are normally wedged so the box can't move around inside the larger box, but the larger box is definitely not crush proof (the only additional protection is the bundle of kraft paper placed on top).

54 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

No, those do look like the foam blocks MCS uses. But the slabs I have received are normally also packaged in one of those individual-sized MCS protective boxes. They are normally wedged so the box can't move around inside the larger box, but the larger box is definitely not crush proof (the only additional protection is the bundle of kraft paper placed on top).

the last slab i received from MCS had 4 of those foam blocks (one on each corner), slab was in its own "slab box" (I forget what they are called), and paper packing surrounded all in the larger box.  The slab box fit between the 4 foam blocks.  And they did look like the picture posted however there were 4 of them), same 90 degree shape, same color. Looks like the similar outer box.  I don't see the inner "slab box" in the larger box.

11 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

The book seemed to be undamaged however. They offered a full refund or could send it to CGC first to see if the grade stays a 9.8 and obviously refund me if it came back worse.

This sounds like the appropriate way to handle a potential shipping problem to me.

Can you post pictures of the inner box and the slab, so that we can see how damage might have occurred?

Edited by namisgr

11 hours ago, mtv2222 said:

but feel i derserve a 10% discount at least for all of the trouble.. customer service treated me like i didnt just spend a fortune on this book..

In fairness, the resolution offer makes you whole, $ wise and customer attention wise. It could very well have been damaged in shipping. I understand there may be a personal disappointment, but I don't think it reaches to the level of a 10% discount, but that is just my personal opinion. Are you being asked to pay for anything....re-grading, shipping (both to and from),  etc.?  Yes, you may have had a minor experience with a person having a bad day or a bit miffed, but that happens everyday to everybody. And, we don't quite know how you approached the business in your initial contact. Maybe the receiver of your complaint interpreted your manner as a bit aggressive.

We all have minor issues all the time. I personally think the resolution offer(s) exceptional. 

looks like maybe someone forgot to use the white CGC box FIRST before packing in the bigger box.

We received the damaged shipment returned by the OP last Friday, and are getting the book off to be recased by CGC and don't see any damage to the comic that would lower the grade.

The box did contain the inner slab box that we normally use, it just wasn't pictured in what the OP shared. It's a little hard only being able to see how the box looks now without seeing it originally, but the only thing we can see out of the ordinary now is that the box only contained two of the L-shaped foam corners, when there are supposed to be four. It mainly looks like the box was very roughly handled by UPS.

Entirely believable that UPS did the deed.  I work for a company that sells scientific supplies, and we see what they're capable of.  A customer once reported that they received a damaged box all taped up from us with hockey magazines in it... we dont sell that.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, mycomicshop said:

We received the damaged shipment returned by the OP last Friday, and are getting the book off to be recased by CGC and don't see any damage to the comic that would lower the grade.

The box did contain the inner slab box that we normally use, it just wasn't pictured in what the OP shared. It's a little hard only being able to see how the box looks now without seeing it originally, but the only thing we can see out of the ordinary now is that the box only contained two of the L-shaped foam corners, when there are supposed to be four. It mainly looks like the box was very roughly handled by UPS.

I worked at a UPS Hub in New Jersey back in the 80's when I was in Art School. The shift was 4 hours and the goal was for you to load 4 Tractor trailers each shift..... by hand with no pallets. There are mazes of conveyors running all through the place, some 30 feet in the air. Packages move quickly and will often fall from a higher conveyor to a lower one..... not good for the lower package. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I worked at a UPS Hub in New Jersey back in the 80's when I was in Art School. The shift was 4 hours and the goal was for you to load 4 Tractor trailers each shift..... by hand with no pallets. There are mazes of conveyors running all through the place, some 30 feet in the air. Packages move quickly and will often fall from a higher conveyor to a lower one..... not good for the lower package. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I worked for Canada Post for 37 years.  Moving the mail as fast as possible is the priority.  Always package your items assuming the delivery company is gonna smash them.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, Skeptic_Kepp said:

When I was learning to grade(still am), the MCS website really threw me off. However, I soon realized that it was because mostly everything was under-graded.

Yep. It's nice cuz if I buy a NM raw, I know there's a good chance it's something that would grade as a 9.8. There VF is usually a 9 or higher. I love their website. I use it to look up information about a particular issue almost daily.