• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic Shop Experience
1 1

48 posts in this topic

I am relieved to see this thread. I will be making my first purchase with mycomicshop.com and I got nervous. I got nervous because I went to pay and the website says you can't purchase anything that exceeds $500.00 with a credit card. you have to use other forms of payment. All kinds of red flags came up when I spoke with Este and she said I would need to use a money order or cashier's check. The auction I won was $610.00. I was not sure if the place was legit or not. After seeing this forum and they actually have a presence I am relieved. I just hope my order doesn't get lost or I get the wrong item. I will report somewhere here how my experience goes if this is the proper place to do so. I will say after discovering they are legit I have to give a complement to Este. She has answered all my questions and gave me a payment deadline extension after I was surprised I could not use my credit card for anything over 500.  And my first purchase from them is a CGC graded 5.5 copy of Tales of suspense #40 My first slab book!!  im excited ! I hope I don't get addicted to slabs. lol.

IMG_1950.thumb.jpg.0c6fa1b56ee0f0201dd82859807d7de3.jpg

Here is the inner packaging for reference. This will have 4 dense black foam corner pcs and packaged inside an RSC corrugated box padded with kraft paper. Im tempted to say the corrugated RSC is only single wall B or C flute if I remember correct. (Not double wall)corrugated_cardboard_flutes.jpg.b6a5a3c6da9c4640dc2a47d9e57a09f9.jpg

If my memory is working I think the size of the RSC is around 10"x17"x5" and sealed with strong  reinforced gummed kraft paper tape. 

I believe the size they use is cheaper to ship than Medium size USPS priority mailer but its stronger by a bit.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:27 PM, talesof... said:

I am relieved to see this thread. I will be making my first purchase with mycomicshop.com and I got nervous. I got nervous because I went to pay and the website says you can't purchase anything that exceeds $500.00 with a credit card. you have to use other forms of payment. All kinds of red flags came up when I spoke with Este and she said I would need to use a money order or cashier's check. The auction I won was $610.00. I was not sure if the place was legit or not. After seeing this forum and they actually have a presence I am relieved. I just hope my order doesn't get lost or I get the wrong item. I will report somewhere here how my experience goes if this is the proper place to do so. I will say after discovering they are legit I have to give a complement to Este. She has answered all my questions and gave me a payment deadline extension after I was surprised I could not use my credit card for anything over 500.  And my first purchase from them is a CGC graded 5.5 copy of Tales of suspense #40 My first slab book!!  im excited ! I hope I don't get addicted to slabs. lol.

There shouldn't be a problem.  Mycomicshop is pretty reliable and if there's a problem they usually address it quickly.  Let us know how it goes.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, thehumantorch said:

There shouldn't be a problem.  Mycomicshop is pretty reliable and if there's a problem they usually address it quickly.  Let us know how it goes.

I intend to. and thanks. it just surprised me when I tried to use my credit card and I couldn't because there is a 500 dollar limit. my purchase was 110 dollars over the limit. I never heard of a place in the 2000's not taking credit cards for payment. But Este has answered all my questions and she gave me an extension to pay. I just got nervous when I was told I had to pay by check or money order because that give NO buyer protection. I had never heard about them before so when I did a search I was glad I found this post as stated. If anything, I will post for first time buyers of the shop so they kind of know a little bit more of what to expect and aren't surprised like I was. If all else fails Texas is only a hop, skip, and jump away from me.

I've bought mycomicshop before and their packaging for CGC slabs is the best I've ever come across. They double box, use filling paper, and the Lshape foam corners.

Now as for their raws I've never purchased b/c they give pretty ambiguous grading, for example it goes from NM to VF, however others have posted some of their NMs are 9.8 candidates so perhaps there is a good possibility that the NM described raws are good to buy.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, dfx1 said:

IMG_1950.thumb.jpg.0c6fa1b56ee0f0201dd82859807d7de3.jpg

Here is the inner packaging for reference. This will have 4 dense black foam corner pcs and packaged inside an RSC corrugated box padded with kraft paper. Im tempted to say the corrugated RSC is only single wall B or C

Does anyone know if these boxes are available to buy anywhere or are they made special for Lone Star?

14 hours ago, jokiing said:

Does anyone know if these boxes are available to buy anywhere or are they made special for Lone Star?

This is one of the closest I've seen from BCW for comic shippers 

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/shipper-for-comics-magazines-books