• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtFans Premium Member Subscription Question
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask if anybody here knows if Comic Art Fans Premium Membership ever offers a discount on their Premium Membership and Market Data Subscriber services during the year? I would like to become a patron but find the cost a little cost prohibitive as it will lower my OA available funds but would do it if a discount is offered during Christmas or at other times.

I recall that the price of membership in 2016 was $50, then it jumped to $75. Am I remembering wrong? 

Yeah, for budget collectors who spend $100-$250 on art $75 for CAF premium membership can mean the difference between buying a page or not. If my membership expires during a time that I’m saving up for a piece, I don’t renew until that piece is acquired. 

To @timguerrero : for what it’s worth, when you rip the band-aid of paying the $75, it stings for a day or two then you forget all about it. That $75 goes a long way throughout the year. It’s definitely worth it if you have a lot of art to move around in galleries. 

19 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I recall that the price of membership in 2016 was $50, then it jumped to $75. Am I remembering wrong? 

You're right, it increased from $50 to $75/year on February 1, 2016. But it was already $50 when the premium membership appeared in June 1st, 2005. Which means that the price of CAF premium membership only increased once in 13 years! 

Unfortunately it's not the same story for comic art prices... :bigsmile:

27 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Its still $6.25 a month.  Give up one day of Starbucks or (Insert vice here) each month and you're good.

I really don't drink coffee and if I would, Starbucks would be the last place I would buy it from. I'd start with the coffee from my coffee plantation, lol.

20 hours ago, NicoV said:

You're right, it increased from $50 to $75/year on February 1, 2016. But it was already $50 when the premium membership appeared in June 1st, 2005. Which means that the price of CAF premium membership only increased once in 13 years! 

Unfortunately it's not the same story for comic art prices... :bigsmile:

I know it doesn't seem high for some people but I really don't use CAF much as I barely have 20% of my collection exhibited. I prefer to keep for myself the art I am not willing to trade or sell to avoid the temptation of doing so. As for the price of buying both Premium and Market Data that is the same as if you were to acquire them separately, nobody here thinks that when you buy more than 1 product (of only 2 offered by them) that a discount should be applied to entice more sales?  

20 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Yeah, for budget collectors who spend $100-$250 on art $75 for CAF premium membership can mean the difference between buying a page or not. If my membership expires during a time that I’m saving up for a piece, I don’t renew until that piece is acquired. 

To @timguerrero : for what it’s worth, when you rip the band-aid of paying the $75, it stings for a day or two then you forget all about it. That $75 goes a long way throughout the year. It’s definitely worth it if you have a lot of art to move around in galleries. 

Again I have a lot of art to move around but I don't publish all of mine. Just mostly interested in publishing the art I would be willing to sell/trade. Basically it would mean that I would be using CAF as a vehicle to increase sales/trades and that they might be entitled to my patronage which as per my post I am thinking of providing but as an OA collector most of us should know that funds are limited when you collect OA, lol.

Edited by timguerrero
grammar

I don’t have a big collection nor do I see much in the way of incentives in the premium subscription ... which is why I’ve always stayed with the free.  

That being said? If there was some intermediate level? Or heck even if they decided to charge $25 for the basic I’d be all for that as i’d be happy to show my support.  

54 minutes ago, fmaz said:

I don’t have a big collection nor do I see much in the way of incentives in the premium subscription ... which is why I’ve always stayed with the free.  

That being said? If there was some intermediate level? Or heck even if they decided to charge $25 for the basic I’d be all for that as i’d be happy to show my support.  

If you feel unfairly pressured, don't. This is a hobby, not a charity. Sometimes, $75 is a lot of money.

I was a premium member for years but stopped with the move to $75. I had slowed down my participation in the hobby so I didn't really go to CAF much. I rarely go there nowadays! Bill kept the star near my name for quite a while after my premium membership expired. 

There is no discount time of year, and no discount if you get both Premium Membership and Market Data. Market Data is nice but I don't really need it, however I love my Premium membership and have always had it because it gives you larger scans, daily emails for CAF and Ebay/Heritage listings, the watermark on the uploads, the CAF Classifieds access to list, unlimited ebay promotions for your auctions, and the one I love the most is the ability to delete comments on my art if they are inappropriate or trolling or just say something stupid. (doesn't happen often, but noce to be able to delete when it does) So Premium is great to better show off your art with the larger scans and 12 featured items, and helps with selling by promoting your CAF Classifieds, Ebay auctions, and the larger scans. So if you sell art even casually it is definitely worth it.

But as others mention, I do it to support Bill Cox because it does cost a lot to have and maintain the site and all the constant improvements. So since it brings me joy, helps me display, share, and sell my art and all that, I want to support it financially and do my part. If you can afford to do so, you quickly forget about it after as mentioned above but the gift keeps giving all year long. :) 

CAF Premium is a no-brainer. We should all be supporting it monetarily if for no other reason than it is a major hub of the hobby.

I'm all about the low-dollar OA, and I understand operating on a budget. (You ARE getting those buys lined up for my Best of 2018 Budget Edition contest, aren't you?) But $75 is what you'd spend to get yourself into a con. And CAF is like an art con that never closes. So yeah, go buy a subscription even if you just have a few pieces posted.

As @robert frey pointed out, if you ever sell just one piece on there, it pays for itself.

:news:

Just wanted to send some kudos to Bill Cox for revamping the CAF message system and adding a search feature! :banana::banana::banana:

I stand by my comments from 3 years ago... Go sign up for a CAF Premium account!

On 8/18/2018 at 10:49 PM, BCarter27 said:

CAF Premium is a no-brainer. We should all be supporting it monetarily if for no other reason than it is a major hub of the hobby.

I'm all about the low-dollar OA, and I understand operating on a budget. (You ARE getting those buys lined up for my Best of 2018 Budget Edition contest, aren't you?) But $75 is what you'd spend to get yourself into a con. And CAF is like an art con that never closes. So yeah, go buy a subscription even if you just have a few pieces posted.

As @robert frey pointed out, if you ever sell just one piece on there, it pays for itself.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:05 PM, fmaz said:

The premium membership always pays for it self very year for me. I get a couple of pieces thru the daily emails or members I track.