• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men #1

45 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The magenta often is misaligned. The Heritage permanent archives are an awesome research tool on every level imaginable when it comes to the study of comics. If you make a study of X-Men 1, you'll see many instances of the magenta extending over black artwork outlines in every conceivable angle and forming different shapes. That magenta coloration usually looks like it was "splattered" on the paper during printing.

I did have fun with the Heritage archives, JJ. :)

And it is extremely interesting how that area of the cover on X-Men #1 can look so different from one copy to another.

I'm just happy we were able to provide some helpful information to our new friend...and thanks for the kind words...  (thumbsu 

Edited by The Lions Den
More accolades

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

This, but I was waiting for you to say it before opening my big yap. ^^ 

What's being confused for added coloration is that this book is printed with that magenta color "splashed" in the background, and none too evenly, and then there's usually layering of a plum color over that to give it the characteristic X-Men magenta-purple color. No two are produced exactly alike with respect to the color. This one is more magenta than plum-purple colored, making it look in some areas like that magenta is applied post-production.

I used some imaging tricks to really go over this lower right corner with a fine tooth comb using different gradients of brightness and even negatives and as far as I can tell from this scan, it's clean.

(worship) (worship)(worship)   

On 8/19/2018 at 11:48 AM, Nrrrrvous said:

I'll pull it out this evening and take a closer look.  See if I can get some pics.  Definitely could be some stain/discoloration from greasy/sweaty fingers. edit - here is a close-up of the scan if that helps

1138156181_XMen1FCLowerRightCorner.thumb.jpg.221fc0265ca6f8a5a5a4538eb27e2f04.jpg

The purple around iceman has always had discoloration issues on copies. Looks 4.5 to me with lime green boxes (as opposed to dark green)  

Thanks for all the help on this one.  Just got report from CGC (shipped, not here yet!). After pressing - graded as a...

6.5 !!!!!  Woohoo!  Can't wait to see what it looks like after the pressing.  This was my first going out for a grade, time to bundle up a few of my ASMs and send them!