• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Experiencing The Joys of Downgrading?

27 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, bababooey said:

ValuableBoldFish-size_restricted.gif

I must admit that your visual meme means nothing to me.  I also do admit to being folicly challenged and wearing baseball caps. We are probably around the same age since the kids don't even know who Seinfeld is anymore.  

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

To a lot of us 8.0-9.0 IS high grade...:cloud9:

I do know an old crazy guy that will often trade me his high grade books for the same books in lower grade + another book or two or cash difference. To each his own I guess.  (shrug)

For a lot of GA comics it is.  But, I'm usually not going that esoteric.  What I'm really trying to say is the nice presenting copies that aren't on the part of the price curve which is heading straight up.  

The two rarest comics I've owned both had significant defects.  But, they each are 1 of 2 still in collector's hands.  Those I feel a strong duty to keep preserved and don't put on display.

My collection is extremely modest, and I'm not a grade snob by any means, but I still take some pride in my books.  I'm a run collector, so the appeal of the entire run matters to me.  I picked out every single copy, because I want everything to look the same.  Trading down the keys would make my run look like I bought cheap, took whatever I could get, and filled in the key with a dog at the end.

I can understand downgrading if all you have is keys, and the size of the hoard is what brings you joy, but that's not me.  Granted, I don't own anything vault-worthy, but I cant picture my comics having a better home than here with me.

Edited by FineCollector

7 hours ago, FineCollector said:

My collection is extremely modest, and I'm not a grade snob by any means, but I still take some pride in my books.  I'm a run collector, so the appeal of the entire run matters to me.  I picked out every single copy, because I want everything to look the same.  Trading down the keys would make my run look like I bought cheap, took whatever I could get, and filled in the key with a dog at the end.

I can understand downgrading if all you have is keys, and the size of the hoard is what brings you joy, but that's not me.  Granted, I don't own anything vault-worthy, but I cant picture my comics having a better home than here with me.

No.  That's not it at all.  For Maggie Thompson, who has long runs of everything, it is about enjoyment.  Being able to read her comics without fear of damaging a "museum piece" like the Avengers 1 9.4.  So she sells it for $90K, and then can buy a nice "reading copy" 8.0 for 1/10 that price, or a "beater" 5.5 for 1/20th that price, and pocket big bucks while also gaining the joy of being able to actually read her comics without concern or guilt.  It's about enjoying your books, not enjoying the the numbers on the slab.

Not that there is anything wrong with wanting high grade comics.  But, owning a high grade comic to use for purposes that likely could impact the grade (casual reading and wall decor) just seems foolish.

17 hours ago, bababooey said:

Yeah sorry, that's an 'opposite George' gif......after filling 2 and a half long boxes w/undercopies & dupes over the past 5 yrs.........reading this topic clearly required me to change my current cgc-board influenced thinking.  :shy:

Sadly, being a huge Seinfeld nerd, I must point out that is not an "opposite George" gif.  That's a "George has a mancrush" gif.  Opposite George comes 10 episodes later.

20 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Sadly, being a huge Seinfeld nerd, I must point out that is not an "opposite George" gif.  That's a "George has a mancrush" gif.  Opposite George comes 10 episodes later.

I blame google but no wonder the op was confused :D   I should have recognized the "jimmy" episode?  

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:
28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I blame google but no wonder the op was confused :D   I should have recognized the "jimmy" episode?  

Funny, that's not this particular George mancrush.  The gif was from the mimbo Tony.