• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Experiencing The Joys of Downgrading?

27 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, sfcityduck said:

No.  That's not it at all.  For Maggie Thompson, who has long runs of everything, it is about enjoyment.  Being able to read her comics without fear of damaging a "museum piece" like the Avengers 1 9.4.  So she sells it for $90K, and then can buy a nice "reading copy" 8.0 for 1/10 that price, or a "beater" 5.5 for 1/20th that price, and pocket big bucks while also gaining the joy of being able to actually read her comics without concern or guilt.  It's about enjoying your books, not enjoying the the numbers on the slab.

Not that there is anything wrong with wanting high grade comics.  But, owning a high grade comic to use for purposes that likely could impact the grade (casual reading and wall decor) just seems foolish.

some peoples idea of beaters are called mid grade to others. Anything over a 7.0 is high grade to me. Granted that I don't collect anything modern where the rules are almost insane when it comes to preferred condition. I mean a 5.5 is a pretty nice copy of a comic-- and should not be just someone book to treat like you would a reader copy - which are in the 3.5 range and lower imo.

I guess it helps if you are rolling in cash or just have a ton of incredibly high grade comics that you can look down at anything below an 8.0

I treat all my books with a lot of love and respect no matter what condition they currently are in.

Edited by 01TheDude
add more random babbling

I have done downgrading. I had an ASM 129 9.4 that was spectacular. I traded it to Bob Storms for his ASM 129 9.0 that was equally spectacular plus some cash......In this case, never regretted it. There are books where a higher grade isn't a goal, but there are others where I can't do it. 

I have a WWBN 32 9.6 that I have been toying with downgrading to a 9.4....but it would have to be white pages, perfect registration, strong color strike, etc...

I do it all the time!

For better or worse (mostly worse! :grin: ), I'm not a millionaire, and thus can't possibly afford everything I want to have in my collection.

So...if I can sell a higher grade book for several multiples of what I paid for it, and can then afford a lower grade copy of the same book, plus several others that I want, what's the downside?  (shrug)

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

some peoples idea of beaters are called mid grade to others. Anything over a 7.0 is high grade to me. Granted that I don't collect anything modern where the rules are almost insane when it comes to preferred condition. I mean a 5.5 is a pretty nice copy of a comic-- and should not be just someone book to treat like you would a reader copy - which are in the 3.5 range and lower imo.

I guess it helps if you are rolling in cash or just have a ton of incredibly high grade comics that you can look down at anything below an 8.0

I treat all my books with a lot of love and respect no matter what condition they currently are in.

word here Dude.  To me, down grading to solid clean VG reader copies is the goal .  That way $$$ is not even a concern