• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink sale has started
2 2

94 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, I like the page. (thumbsu

It's not bad at all. I agree. It's only in the binary comparison that it's dips a bit. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's not bad at all. I agree. It's only in the binary comparison that it's dips a bit. 

I think, holistically, the Jones page is also timeless. You don't have to know anything about the story, or what's going on. It's just two old foes going at each other. I also especially like the Captain American Comics #1 cover homage (albeit reversed) in the main panel of the Jones page. 

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I think, holistically, the Jones page is also timeless. You don't have to know anything about the story, or what's going on. It's just two old foes going at each other. I also especially like the Captain American Comics #1 cover homage (albeit reversed) in the main panel of the Jones page. 

Well, you've struck upon the dynamic of published comic art collecting. It's not just the image, probably not even majority of the image. It's where the image fits in the great story of the characters, nostalgia, and how often you've seen these characters drawn by these pencilers and inkers, etc etc. 

I have no doubt there are hundreds of artists who could draw a page that well, but if you don't know them and have no connection to the story itself, it's not going to command what it would from a well known artist, working a major arc, or memorable story, or from an art team that's worked together for years and is well-remembered. 

The Sal page. In terms of execution, flow, emotion, collect-ability , and long term value/growth...its the winner of those two.

1. Right Era

2. Right Artists

3. Right Characters

4. Great execution

5. Great Eye Appeal

6. Established market

7. Greater numbers of collectors looking for pages like it

8. Main line not annual

On every measurable level, that first page is better. The AJ page doesnt suck, dont get me wrong. Its fine and well done. But the Sal page just feels cleaner and is more gripping. The fight is more personal and less about having a big splash panel like some mini cover.It feels like two people who truly hate each other just going to blows. Also having Nick Fury being tortured by the Skull in the top just adds Bronze age drama.

Cleaner winner for Sal IMO.

If I took out time period and other contextual factors, I'd still opt for Sal 

IMO:

1. I don't like Jones' version of the Skull (eg, lacking somewhat the horizontal  eye brow bones). 

2.  I like the main panel and the panel of Cap getting kicked in the face but overall the Jones page is a bit busy for my taste (and looks a lot like Paul Ryan to me) and while I have no issues with the Skull's dialogue (even tho its very predictable), Cap's dialogue is oftputting to me ("how about "mud"?  " . . . if you spent more time working out") 

3.  Probably just me, but the last panel of the Jones bothers me a bit as it doesn't follow well from the prior panel --Skull is already in midair and so Cap would have had to have spun back and then hit Skull -- I know Cap is quick but I think it could have been set up better.

4.  Sal page is more dramatic (from Fury baking to Cap on his knees to Cap gritting his teeth to more dramatic dialogue overall) and not just another run of the mill fight scene (which is more the feel of the Jones page)

5.  I prefer pages from the regular run vs an Annual (unless the main artist from the run did the Annual)

5 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Their site really is third rate.

I was watching an auction that I had a tracking bid on (nothing I really wanted)- the clock was live and went to zero without other bids. Then I refresh and see there was spirited bidding in the last minute. If I actually did want the piece, I wouldn't have known I was outbid.

Yep. Bid on a piece in the last seconds, didn't know I lost until I hit refresh. No automatic updates. Even ebay is better.

I might regret not putting some more juice into that Harley & Ivy by Bruce Timm. They just felt a little super deformed/chibi to me and I was hemming and hawing about it this evening. I have some Bruce Timm works already and if I'd rather drop some more money and get one thing I really like instead of seeing it pop up later and feeling like I already got one. Something like this http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=725529 I would've thrown much bigger bids at. Oh well it will give me sometime to collect some funds for NYCC and recover from some other pieces.

Did the Captain America #207 rejected cover go for what it did because the published cover's cap head was redone by Romita?

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dkirby%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1270130&id=1270130&itemType=1

7 hours ago, Red84 said:

Got this for a steal.  Put in the bid a while ago and had a nice surprise to get an email notifying me that I won.

Looking forward to getting it framed and up on the wall!

Herbe Trimpe Wolverine.jpg

Not a big fan of HT but this piece has a great retro feel, what with the early Wolverine look, and very well executed.  Any idea which year this was done? In any case this was a great bargain, congratulations!

Carlo M

Interesting to note that the two sequential Adams pages from UXM 61 got basically the same price at HA and CLink.  Actually CLink was a bit higher, resulting for the seller doing better at CLink on a net basis.  Maybe due to the slightly lower quality this time around the few quality pieces got a lot of attention in CLink, while 10k pieces get less attention at HA?

Carlo M

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Congrats to the winning bidder on the Romita Jr DDMWOF cover!  You got it for a steal! ??

Maybe i'm wrong but isn't the MWOF cover more desirable than the #271 cover that went for a higher price? 

I think the MOWF #1 cover they auctioned awhile back was a steal as well. I have a feeling I may regret not going harder on them at some point.

I was able to pick up the My Little Pony covers that I had sold as part of a package deal a year ago; got them back for a LOT less. My daughters were unhappy to say the least when I pulled them off the wall. Will be interesting to see the reaction when I bring them back out. 50/50 it's either tears of joy or "it's been a year, and we so much mature now that we're 8 and 10 and ponies are for babies and where's my iPad?". 

Edited by Sideshow Bob