• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink sale has started
2 2

94 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Maybe i'm wrong but isn't the MWOF cover more desirable than the #271 cover that went for a higher price? 

I think the MOWF #1 cover they auctioned awhile back was a steal as well. I have a feeling I may regret not going harder on them at some point.

The 271 cover is nice, but the MWOF cover is from a very significant storyline in DD’s history, and I recall that covers from this mini series sold privately for more.

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

Did the Captain America #207 rejected cover go for what it did because the published cover's cap head was redone by Romita?

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dkirby%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1270130&id=1270130&itemType=1

That, but likely more because it's bounced around a lot the last few years.

What do people think of the price the Starlin Warlock page got? I feel anything that cosmic Starlin bronze is going to of course be high, but without Thanos it has a potential to sell sorta flat in an auction format.

Edited by zhamlau

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

Did the Captain America #207 rejected cover go for what it did because the published cover's cap head was redone by Romita?

Harsh to call it a "rejected" cover.  I mean, if this is a "rejected" cover, then I guess the Cap #100 is a rejected cover too given that the OA looks even more different than the published version.  In any case, I would strongly doubt that anyone really cared that the published version had a slightly different looking Cap head by Romita.  Just my opinion.  

The #207 cover was sold together with the all-stat published version the last time it was on ComicLink in 2014 (I was the buyer then, but, decided that it didn't really fit my collection and so punted it in 2015).  Not sure where the stat cover ended up.  Again, I doubt there was much value attributed to the stat cover...maybe a grand or two at most IMO.  

I think the price can be explained by the fact that it's one of the bottom quartile covers from Kirby's '70s Cap run and, as Felix noted, that it's bounced around a lot.  It's a good buy for someone who maybe can't afford one of the better covers from the run. 2c 

19 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

RADD5391201887_16026.jpgNo automatic alt text available.

Compare these two pages. One (to the left) is by Sal Buscema (an currently sitting at the Comic Link auction on $579, and will probably go for at least $750). The other (to the right) is by Arvel Jones.

I posted the original version of the page to the right in another thread about what constitutes a "B" page, etc.

Which one do you think is better (taking the tone of the scans out of it).

The Sal page is so much better in so many ways. The Jones page is not terrible but it suffers massively in comparison to the Sal page. 

28 minutes ago, t3quila said:

Reviewing the prices, I wished I stayed awake to bid, excluding the higher end pieces, a lot of prices seemed on the low side.

Agreed.  Having an auction the day after a long weekend (and on the 1st day back to school for the kiddies) is a no-no.

Many good deals to be had at this auction as a result of the aforementioned.  On the flip side, I was very surprised by the strong result on the Thompson sandman page @ $8.9K.  Congrats to the seller!  ??

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

What do people think of the price the Starlin Warlock page got? I feel anything that cosmic Starlin bronze is going to of course be high, but without Thanos it has a potential to sell sorta flat in an auction format.

$7.4k seems solid for a bust, couple headshots and small figure of Warlock(shrug)

ST #180 page 18 sold for $5k last year, and the #181 half-splash went for $7.6k in 2016.

RADCABEC2018730_164522.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

RAD723852016329_113150.jpg

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The 271 cover is nice, but the MWOF cover is from a very significant storyline in DD’s history, and I recall that covers from this mini series sold privately for more.

I’m aware of the significance of the MWOF piece, didn’t know if I was missing something about the other cover.

19 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

On the flip side, I was very surprised by the strong result on the Thompson sandman page @ $8.9K.  Congrats to the seller!  

I was planning on bringing this piece home, was willing to go over what I thought was fmv, but not to the extent of a $9k hammer!

9 minutes ago, artdealer said:
2 hours ago, Nexus said:

That, but likely more because it's bounced around a lot the last few years.

Yup, I had it for sale at San Diego this year.

Would 'we' agree that offering a piece for sale publicly, whether it be a single showing or via numerous platforms, and then sending it into a no reserve auction, is most often than not harmful to the final bid?

Historically, original comic book art which undergoes this path to 'market', often sells for much less than whatever the asking price was outside of auction. Would 'we' agree?

Perhaps this cover was initially being solicited with an 'unreasonable' asking price...

Perhaps setting a reserve would have helped...

Perhaps not putting it into an auction ending the day after Labor Day would have helped... 

7 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Just curious, does Comic Link archive it's auction results?  If yes, how far back does it go?

I don't think so, not in any "searchable" way that is. 

If you place "marker" bids on items you can search them in your account forever whether you win or lose.  

22 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Just curious, does Comic Link archive it's auction results?  If yes, how far back does it go?

To some extent, yes.

see http://www.comiclink.com/service_text.asp?2 which has the below:

Recent Auction Results:

Most Recent Featured Auction: 2018 Spring (May-June) Featured Auction: Comic Book Session; Original Artwork Session
Other prior ComicLink Featured Auction results: 2-3/2018 (comics) / 2-3/2018 (art) / 11/2017 (comics) / 11/2017 (art) 8-9/2017 (comics); 8-9/2017 (art) / 5-6/2017 (comics); 5-6/2017 (art) / 2-3/2017 (comics); 2-3/2017 (art) / 11/2016 (comics); 11/2016 (art) / 8-9/2016 / 5/2016 / 2/2016 / 11/2015 / 8-9/2015 / 5/2015 / 2/2015 / 11/2014 / 8/2014 / 2/2014 /11-12/2013 / 8/2013 / 5/2013 / 2/2013 / 11/2012 / 8/2012 / 5/2012 / 2-3/2012 / 11/2011 / 08/2011 / 05/2011 / 02/2011 / 11/2010 / 8/2010 / 5/2010 / 11/2009 / 8/2009 / 5/2009 / 3/2009 / 1/2009 / 11/2008 / 8/2008 / 5/2008 / 2/2008 / 10/2007

3 hours ago, t3quila said:

Reviewing the prices, I wished I stayed awake to bid, excluding the higher end pieces, a lot of prices seemed on the low side.

Yeah, a mutual friend just told me he looked at the results and saw at least 20 pieces that he felt he could flip immediately at a profit. 

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

Would 'we' agree that offering a piece for sale publicly, whether it be a single showing or via numerous platforms, and then sending it into a no reserve auction, is most often than not harmful to the final bid?

Historically, original comic book art which undergoes this path to 'market', often sells for much less than whatever the asking price was outside of auction. Would 'we' agree?

Perhaps this cover was initially being solicited with an 'unreasonable' asking price...

Perhaps setting a reserve would have helped...

Perhaps not putting it into an auction ending the day after Labor Day would have helped... 

Price was $23,000 at San Diego. Consignor took it back immediately after the show to put in CL.

7 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Not a big fan of HT but this piece has a great retro feel, what with the early Wolverine look, and very well executed.  Any idea which year this was done? In any case this was a great bargain, congratulations!

Carlo M

Comiclink didn't have a year posted. Its going to look great next to my cutout of the Wolverine cameo from Hulk 180.

2 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

I hate they it's just the highlights. I knew they'd hit a few but it leaves all the all the non-big tickets to the nether world. 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I hate they it's just the highlights. I knew they'd hit a few but it leaves all the all the non-big tickets to the nether world. 

This. So frustrating that they don't keep pages up for reference like HA. And why not offer a tracking feature?