• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is ASM1 so expensive relative to it's peers?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Now, before we start, let me clarify by 'it's peers".  As we all know, ASM1 isn't the first appearance of Spidey, or really the first appearance of anything other than his first series.  However, I was thinking this morning about how the book is similar to say, Iron Man #1, etc., in that it may have a origin retold or something, but other than kicking off the series and being a "#1", there's not really something that would classify it as a major key per se.  However, the value says otherwise.  Any thoughts? 

Major SA key, iconic cover, more affordable than AF15, first issue of the most popular character of the silver age and arguably right there withn Superman and Batman. I think comparing it to Superman 1 is more accurate than say Iron Man 1 although Superman 1 scarcity is off the charts.

27 minutes ago, Silver said:

Major SA key, iconic cover, more affordable than AF15, first issue of the most popular character of the silver age and arguably right there withn Superman and Batman. I think comparing it to Superman 1 is more accurate than say Iron Man 1 although Superman 1 scarcity is off the charts.

This!

Scarcity aside.  Batman, Superman and silver age spider-man!  The price is on a recent accent.  As AF 15 gets more unreachable, people are going for the next best thing and a #1 that lead off a historic run is a good place to go.  Unlike batman #1 and Superman #1, AMS #1 is a second appearance. I think its going to keep being expensive and in relative terms has always been valuable.

Scarcity aside the second appearance as a #1 is a huge factor. I think Action #2 or next cover appearance or Tec #28 or next cover appearance  would be a better peer group. Iron Man #1 is a modern in comparison .

Edited by paul747

The “Amazing Spider-Man” title is arguably the most successful series in the Marvel Comics franchise history.  It is the second appearance (in a #1 issue) and launches the solo story of its most popular singular character.  We are talking about the top dog of Marvel here... Iron Man, while a great character, isn’t exactly in Spidey’s league.  I agree with @Silver and @paul747 with their points and comparisons.  100% spot on guys:headbang:

Edited by DST

I agree that the comparison to Superman 1, or Batman 1, is far more apt than Iron Man 1, especially because the longterm popularity and success of the character matters so much. Until the MCU, Iron Man was really a second tier character--if he hadn't been, Sony would've acquired his film rights when they took on Spider-Man.

23 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I agree that the comparison to Superman 1, or Batman 1, is far more apt than Iron Man 1, especially because the longterm popularity and success of the character matters so much. Until the MCU, Iron Man was really a second tier character--if he hadn't been, Sony would've acquired his film rights when they took on Spider-Man.

I disagree. Define secondary.

6 hours ago, DST said:

The “Amazing Spider-Man” title is arguably the most successful series in the Marvel Comics franchise history.  It is the second appearance (in a #1 issue) and launches the solo story of its most popular singular character.  We are talking about the top dog of Marvel here... Iron Man, while a great character, isn’t exactly in Spidey’s league.  I agree with @Silver and @paul747 with their points and comparisons.  100% spot on guys:headbang:

I have to stop after every one of your posts to gush over your AF15. :x  One day...

31 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I also think run collectors play a part in it. There are very many ASM completionists and ALL of them NEED ASM 1 for their collection.

(everything else said about AF 1 getting out of reach, Marvel's # 1 hero etc all do play a part also)

This for sure. Iconic cover, FF appearance, surprise hit from AF15, iconic character. All of the Silver age Marvel heroes are great, but none really can match Spidey's popularity. 

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Iron Man #1 came out 5 years after his first appearance.  Superman #1, Batman #1, ASM #1 are "from the next year" books vs. the first appearance.   That's Iron Man's specific problem. lol

I hear he (Iron Man) has a drinking problem too :bigsmile:

Edited by Not A Clone

2 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:
12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Iron Man #1 came out 5 years after his first appearance.  Superman #1, Batman #1, ASM #1 are "from the next year" books vs. the first appearance.   That's Iron Man's specific problem. lol

I hear he (Iron Man) has a drinking problem too :bigsmile:

Not in Iron Man #1. :grin:

Batman 1 is not an appropriate comparison book. It's the first appearance of two of the most famous villains in comics. ASM 1 is the first appearance of....The Chameleon. 

One would be a top key regardless of whether or not there was a #1 on the cover, the other would be a footnote. 

3 hours ago, october said:

Batman 1 is not an appropriate comparison book. It's the first appearance of two of the most famous villains in comics. ASM 1 is the first appearance of....The Chameleon. 

One would be a top key regardless of whether or not there was a #1 on the cover, the other would be a footnote. 

Don't forget Jameson :roflmao:

It's a settle key, with AF15 being so pricey.