• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is ASM1 so expensive relative to it's peers?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2018 at 8:26 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

also in this case, no apostrophe in "its" 

(grammar police)

3 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Umm, not quite.  When the word is used instead of "it is", then it is written as " it's "

I think both work but its is more correct in this instance. 2c

9 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Umm, not quite.  When the word is used instead of "it is", then it is written as " it's "

yes. but it is not used as "it is" here. it is being used as possessive. as in "his" "hers" and "its" peers. thanks.  (TALKING ABOUT THE TITLE OF THIS POST)

Edited by www.alexgross.com

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:
11 hours ago, MusterMark said:

yes. but it is not used as "it is" here. it is being used as possessive. as in "his" "hers" and "its" peers. thanks.  (TALKING ABOUT THE TITLE OF THIS POST)

Ah sorry about that.

Since your comment about "its" immediately followed the comment by ArchonEnergy ("Peter Palmers first Appearance is why it’s so valuable... LOL"), I thought you were speaking about that comment from ArchonEnergy.

1 hour ago, MusterMark said:

Ah sorry about that.

Since your comment about "its" immediately followed the comment by ArchonEnergy ("Peter Palmers first Appearance is why it’s so valuable... LOL"), I thought you were speaking about that comment from ArchonEnergy.

I did, too.

I was confused. 🤪

Correct me if I’m wrong, but surprisingly, ASM#1 was valued more than AF15 for a period of time.

The Af15 and Asm1 situation reminds me of The Wonder Woman keys:

All Star #8 -her first appearance.  Worth the most.

Sensation Comics #1 her second appearance and first cover appearance. Considered the scarcest of the three and possibly undervalued.

Wonder Woman #1  Her 10th appearance, first solo book, it’s value situationally competes with Sensation #1. 

The debut titles Amazing Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and even Iron Man just command appeal!

I always thought the 1968 solo starts of Captain America, Doctor Strange, and Hulk would be valued more (and just feel/look cooler) if they were proper #1s.  

Edited by Knightsofold

On 12/5/2018 at 9:12 AM, Knightsofold said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but surprisingly, ASM#1 was valued more than AF15 for a period of time.

This would be interesting if it was accurate, but I really doubt it. Others here can definitely confirm it or not, but I am pretty sure than AF15 has "always" been the most valuable SA book, along with FF1 and Showcase 4.

ASM1 is a great book and while AF15 will always be THE KEY spidey book ASM1 is certainly next in line and a top 10 Marvel Silver Age book.

What I wonder is whether/how much more ASM1 would be worth if it contained the First Spider-Man - i.e., I think if Spidey appeared in ASM1 first (and AF15 did not exist) then ASM1 would be more expensive than AF15 currently is - or to put it another way, I wonder how much more AF15 would be worth if it was also the start of Spider-Man's flagship title ....... obviously we will never know what the delta would be, but I think it would not be insignificant.

I’m sure that ASM 1 would be even more expensive than AF 15 is today if it featured Spidey’s debut. There would be added lustre to having his introduction in his own title. The same would hold true for quite a few super heroes who debuted in other titles.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:53 AM, s14roller said:

Now, before we start, let me clarify by 'it's peers".  As we all know, ASM1 isn't the first appearance of Spidey, or really the first appearance of anything other than his first series.  However, I was thinking this morning about how the book is similar to say, Iron Man #1, etc., in that it may have a origin retold or something, but other than kicking off the series and being a "#1", there's not really something that would classify it as a major key per se.  However, the value says otherwise.  Any thoughts? 

ASM 1 is not similar to Iron Man 1 because Iron Man 1 took six years to appear after Tales of Suspense 39.   Virtually every other key hero who appeared in another title before getting their own title was in many issues before the self-titled series.   ASM 1 is a rare exception in that it's only his second appearance after his first in another title

13 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

ASM1 is a great book and while AF15 will always be THE KEY spidey book ASM1 is certainly next in line and a top 10 Marvel Silver Age book.

What I wonder is whether/how much more ASM1 would be worth if it contained the First Spider-Man - i.e., I think if Spidey appeared in ASM1 first (and AF15 did not exist) then ASM1 would be more expensive than AF15 currently is - or to put it another way, I wonder how much more AF15 would be worth if it was also the start of Spider-Man's flagship title ....... obviously we will never know what the delta would be, but I think it would not be insignificant.

Not sure I agree that if AF 15 didn't exist the value of ASM #1 would be even higher than AF #15, It would be right where AF15 is, why wouldn't it be? Now if you assume ASM #1 was SM intro & featured the actual #1 cover it might be even less because while ASM #1 is a top-tier key it has always suffered from a so-so cover and IMHO AF15 has one of the most iconic badass covers of any era.