• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice : Peanuts/Charles Schultz Related

4 posts in this topic

If you really want to be sure you're buying a legitimate Schulz Peanuts piece, I'd stick to buying one of his published strips. They're a lot more expensive than illustrations or sketches, but I've seen even the biggest auction houses offer sketches (supposedly by Schulz) that I know were not legitimate. Published Peanuts illustrations used for books or ads (like the Butternut Bread drawings) are also a good alternative at lower prices than strips. 

Heritage usually has a nice selection of strips in each of their auctions. Prices can vary greatly based on the gag quality, era, and most importantly the characters featured. You can find 90's-00's era daily strips featuring lesser characters like Rerun or Peppermint Patty as low as $8-10K. When you get into the prime era of the strip (mid to late 50's) featuring Charlie Brown and Snoopy, you'll generally be over $20K for daily strips. But they can go much higher depending on the individual strip. 

4 hours ago, marktom said:

If you really want to be sure you're buying a legitimate Schulz Peanuts piece, I'd stick to buying one of his published strips. They're a lot more expensive than illustrations or sketches, but I've seen even the biggest auction houses offer sketches (supposedly by Schulz) that I know were not legitimate. Published Peanuts illustrations used for books or ads (like the Butternut Bread drawings) are also a good alternative at lower prices than strips. 

Heritage usually has a nice selection of strips in each of their auctions. Prices can vary greatly based on the gag quality, era, and most importantly the characters featured. You can find 90's-00's era daily strips featuring lesser characters like Rerun or Peppermint Patty as low as $8-10K. When you get into the prime era of the strip (mid to late 50's) featuring Charlie Brown and Snoopy, you'll generally be over $20K for daily strips. But they can go much higher depending on the individual strip. 

Once I saw your avatar I knew I needed to look no further !!  Thanks so much for all the great insight / information !!

15 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Looking to buy a original hand drawn Peanuts character signed by Charles M Schultz.  Any insight into where one can feel confident in purchasing an original and cost of such a piece ?  Thanks

I have owned a dozen original strips (Sundays and dailies) and have had about the same amount of sketches. I can say I’ve had 3 of those sketches that I have some question on the validity of and sold them with doubts made clear.  I’ve learned enough that I feel I have a good handle on a definitely legit sketch, a looks good but is questionable sketch and a clear fake. 

Like marktom said though, if you want real security get a published piece.