• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

more from the attic
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Opinions about what?  Are you looking to sell these comics and you want advice on doing so?  Are you interested in an idea of their value?  Do you want advice on how to store these books to protect their condition?

You've got some cool old pre-code horror comics there.  (thumbsu

Edited by namisgr

There's definitely value in them.  I'd recommend protecting them by keeping them flat and safe, and hitting up a local comics store for bags and backing boards that fit these 1950s books and will provide long-term protection.  As far as selling them, approaches will vary depending on whether you need to liquidate them all immediately (in which case an auction format or selling the lot to a dealer) would make sense, or instead whether you can afford to sell them over time on consignment with a dealer, and attempt to realize maximum value for each and every book.

These have enough value that it would pay to have them professionally graded and assessed for restoration by a third party grading service. There will be some cost associated with doing so, and if the amount is an issue you could choose to have them graded a few at a time and then sold to raise the funds to have the rest graded.

Here on the Boards, I'd suggest you confine the discussion to a single thread, as there's no need to start multiple ones and drive multiple divergent conversations about your find.

Edited by namisgr

Would you check interior pages to see if there are any missing wraps, cutouts, torn or loose pages, detached centerfold or wraps?  Also you need to check if the covers are attached to both staples.  If those books came from the attic, it may be brittle pages if the edges are crumbled easily.  Check the inside covers and pages if they are brownish.

Any defects can affect the value.  You can tell us the details on each book.

You can check eBay sold listings to get an "approximate idea" of FMV and what they are selling for.

You will need to assign an approximate grade to the books to get a "realistic" idea of FMV.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

IE: Your Adventures Into Terror #16 (Top Pic, Top Left Book) appears to be a GD 2.0 - GD+ 2.5.

By that grading the 2015-2016 Overstreet Price Guide has that book valued at $28.00.

As already stated you have numerous choices...

eBay, LCS, Consignment with My Comic Shop, Comic Connect, On these boards, etc.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=233661

https://www.comicconnect.com/

Again, as already stated having them professionally graded by CGC will certainly increase their appeal/value.

https://www.cgccomics.com/

Awesome books!

I'm pretty sure you will be able to sell those here, to a wonderful community of buyers and sellers. :)

For grading, try posting detailed images (front & back) of each one in the "Hey, buddy can you spare a grade?" thread. Also, it's really important to inspect the books for problems that are not visible when you look at the front and back, e.g.: cut-outs, missing pages, loose-centerfolds, detached staples, etc. 
The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics is also a great resource.

If you're ready to list them for sale, you can create a thread in the "Gold/Silver/Bronze Age Only" marketplace. Be sure to read the rules first.

For pricing, eBay (sold listings only), ComicConnect, MyComicShop, other reputable online dealers, and Overstreet can be helpful. Since your books are uncommon, the prices might have a wide range.

Some of the nicer ones might be worth getting graded...

Edited by adampasz

2 hours ago, adampasz said:

Awesome books!

I'm pretty sure you will be able to sell those here, to a wonderful community of buyers and sellers. :)

For grading, try posting detailed images (front & back) of each one in the "Hey, buddy can you spare a grade?" thread. Also, it's really important to inspect the books for problems that are not visible when you look at the front and back, e.g.: cut-outs, missing pages, loose-centerfolds, detached staples, etc. 
The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics is also a great resource.

If you're ready to list them for sale, you can create a thread in the "Gold/Silver/Bronze Age Only" marketplace. Be sure to read the rules first.

For pricing, eBay (sold listings only), ComicConnect, MyComicShop, other reputable online dealers, and Overstreet can be helpful. Since your books are uncommon, the prices might have a wide range.

Some of the nicer ones might be worth getting graded...

Good advise from this poster (thumbsu

3 hours ago, G-off said:

yes, looking to sell them, I have a bad enough golf club collecting hobby just trying to get some informed ideas before going any further.

Congratulations,  1950s horror comics are currently very popular and values have been going up quickly.  Generally covers with lots of skulls, girls in bondage, and over the top depictions of creepy violence are the most desirable.  There are a lot of collectors chasing these books and a limited supply.

The books you've shown us are worth thousands of $$.  How much exactly will depend on grade and if the books are complete.  As in many collectibles, condition is everything.

I'd suggest you go to Heritage Auctions and open a free account.  That will allow you to search their deep auction history.  Type in the title and issue # into their search box , select past auctions, and you'll get a ton of pricing data.

https://www.ha.com/

For example:

Chilling Tales 16 is a very desirable book and a CGC graded 6.0 (mid grade) sold on Heritage in 2015 for  just over $1,000.  I'd guess that if a similar copy came up for sale now it would go for quite a bit more.

Baffling Mystery 7 a ungraded 4.0 (lower mid grade) sold on Heritage this year for just over $1100

2 minutes ago, G-off said:

thanks torch, will look into heritage

I'd suggest you also count pages.  Should be 8 pages double sided to the centerfold and then another 8 pages to the back cover, excluding the cover.  A complete book is worth a lot more than an incomplete book and that will help to value the books.  As you do that watch for any big rips or missing pieces.  

If you wish to sell your books quickly without any hassle sending them to Heritage, Comiclink, comicconnect or mycomicshop will result in decent results.  They all charge a fee for their services but they will grade them, send them for third party grading like CGC, and send you cash.  If you wish to spend a bit of time counting pages, taking close up pics or scanning, putting them in the grading forum and getting some rough grades, and then selling them here you'll have no problem selling them.

that's all the comics in this box, also about 18 famous monsters of film land, have another box to go through when I go back in a couple of weeks, made the mistake of going to a local guy and got a bit fleeced after starting some research.  I really appreciate the help and guidance so far.

14 minutes ago, G-off said:

that's all the comics in this box, also about 18 famous monsters of film land, have another box to go through when I go back in a couple of weeks, made the mistake of going to a local guy and got a bit fleeced after starting some research.  I really appreciate the help and guidance so far.

The Famous Monster mags can be valuable too. It depends on which numbers, and of course the condition.