• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Fantastic Four #1
4 4

100 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Kirby is spinning in his grave as fast as the main rotor on an AH-64 Apache helicopter, if he wasn't 6 feet under he could hover.

Kirby would be throwing up blood. That artwork is a total disaster. How someone approves of trash likes this and lets it to the shops is a mystery to be solved.

I’ve seen much worse in modern Marvel comics. From a contemporary perspective, the art isn’t that bad. I’ve clearly become a little bit desensitised by exposure.

As an FF fan, I wouldn’t buy it though, as the team has had much better artists, such as Kirby, Perez, Byrne, (Arthur) Adams, Wieringo, Davis and Hitch.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, DR.X said:

Kirby would be throwing up blood. That artwork is a total disaster. How someone approves of trash likes this and lets it to the shops is a mystery to be solved.

21st century, PC diversity in action! The best man for the job is now quite often one of the worst men for the job. :frown: 

In addition to the teen titans go art the storyline is subpar.  I feel like they rushed it and let seniority cloud their judgement.  I know Dan Slott has written some great stories but he wasn't a good choice for the return of FF1.  Someone new with a different rhythm.  Even if they had to throw copious amounts of money at someone, they should've done it.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

The best man for the job is now quite often one of the worst men for the job. :frown: 

I feel a lot of the time it’s using a much cheaper, upcoming artist rather than paying for an A-lister, although here, Pichelli’s been around a while.

Here’s some more, polarising modern Marvel art for you to debate...

PlancheA_221876.jpg

PlancheA_218494.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

Not a fan of the art, but fan of the family.   I will be on board until John Romita Jr. takes over. 

Remember the Heroes Reborn reboot when they had Jim Lee drawing?   That was how you re-introduce your Flagship title back to the public! 

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve seen much worse in modern Marvel comics. From a contemporary perspective, the art isn’t that bad. I’ve clearly become a little bit desensitised by exposure.

Me too. I opened the book, choked back my objections to the art, and bought it. I read it. 

I've seen and read worse FF comics.

I'm in, for a while. I'm more interested in where they take things story-wise. Time-travel/alt universe garbage will have me gone. 

7 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Time-travel/alt universe garbage will have me gone. 

Quite a lot of that in the Hickman and Fraction runs.

I like those, but something different would be good.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I feel a lot of the time it’s using a much cheaper, upcoming artist rather than paying for an A-lister, although here, Pichelli’s been around a while.

Here’s some more, polarising modern Marvel art for you to debate...

PlancheA_221876.jpg

PlancheA_218494.jpg

That art makes Frank Robbins look like Frank Frazetta 

does the artwork style or look have anything to do with how they produce the art-- specifically the tools used? While I have seen some amazing stuff produced by our own board members using those tools-- I wonder if using them versus paper and pencils has anything to do with it. This stuff seems to lack any texture that I was used to with the bronze age silver comics I grew up with.

I'm guessing the answer is no-- the tools are not the problem. The artists or direction they are given is to blame.