• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rude email from Emory Sena

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

I was thinking he finds the idea of scanning 27 pages of art to be a bit of a chore (8 sample page scans ought to provide a good indication of the story and art) though he should have been less harsh in his response. 2c

If it was published art I'd probably tend to agree...about it being a chore...but being unpublished artwork the buyer has no idea what's on those pages or what he's buying. The seller should be read with scans upon request given what the artwork is and what he's trying to get for it. 

The artist could have switched to crayons on the pages yet to be seen. He could have decided to draw a dong on Dracula's forehead on all those pages. Even worse, he could have made Dracula a twinkly/sparkly Twilight style vampire on those pages. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

The artist could have switched to crayons on the pages yet to be seen. He could have decided to draw a dong on Dracula's forehead on all those pages. 

That's actually a great idea. Like they have all those Venomized variant covers they should have Vigilized covers with Tim Vigil doing the covers. 

Just now, Blastaar said:

That's actually a great idea. Like they have all those Venomized variant covers they should have Vigilized covers with Tim Vigil doing the covers. 

For the dong-alized cover collector it's a day they've long anticipated. 

20 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

If it was published art I'd probably tend to agree...about it being a chore...but being unpublished artwork the buyer has no idea what's on those pages or what he's buying. The seller should be read with scans upon request given what the artwork is and what he's trying to get for it. 

The artist could have switched to crayons on the pages yet to be seen. He could have decided to draw a dong on Dracula's forehead on all those pages. Even worse, he could have made Dracula a twinkly/sparkly Twilight style vampire on those pages. 

Or he could have enlisted the aid of Rob Liefeld to pencil and ink Drac's feet on the unseen pages!

20 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Cranky guy. And, a lousy businessman. Doesn’t he know a picture is worth a 1,000 words?

Unless the book was great and the price was cheap to you, or if you really had to have it, move on.

The book was unpublished. There was no way to see the art. 

FWIW, if the price was agreeable and I liked what I saw in the 8 pages I would have taken the risk --after getting an email from the seller that the other pages were of similar quality (ie, no half finished pages etc.) and that if there are material condition issues to any of the pages that I could return them all (and I likely also would have asked for scans of any other splashes and the endpage).

Weird. I get the scan collector angle but he must not want to sell if he won’t provide images of the entire lot. If he has been selling since the early 90’s I don’t buy the inability to watermark the images. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I had contacted an artist years ago about buying art.  He laid out about 16 pages on the floor of his living room and took a giant picture, they all looked so damn cool together he sold me on buying the whole lot.  I think he took close-ups of the best 4 or so as well, just so i could get some high quality images as well.

It doesn't always have to be an uber-scan to get the juices flowing.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:37 AM, pemart1966 said:

You're right - he can't want to sell too badly...

No judgments, just relaying my experience today with him.  He had a Cirocco/Austin Alien Legion house ad original listed at $3750.  No one cares about this series, as evidenced by all the 2 and 3 figure art sales from it.  But, I have fond memories from back in the day of the series, so, I make him an offer of $3300 for it. I figure if it was Cirocco alone, it's maybe worth $1500, with Austin maybe $2500-3000. But, seeing as how cranky he sounded from this thread, and how he considers this piece to be historically important (ummm...), I added 10% to what I thought was the high end of the range to see if we can get a deal done. 

He gets back to me and says that the series has been greenlit for a film by Disney and that the price he listed undervalues the piece, so, no deal.  I do some digging online and can only find news stories from 2009-10 regarding the series being optioned for a film (not by Disney) and nothing after that. 

I figured if the guy is hung up on the movie angle, which sounded dubious to me and which IDGAF about, fine - I think about it for a while and then tell him I can't find anything more recent than 2010 regarding the film, but, OK, I'll pay the full boat of $3750 if that's what it takes. 

He gets back to me and says he's already raised the price (to $4500 I learn) on his website and 2 other locations (CAF and somewhere else presumably), so, again, no deal. I refreshed his website before I sent my second email and it was still $3750 at the time (a number of hours have elapsed by this point).  He also says something about how he thinks Marvel is trying to decide how this fits in with their universe and maybe it doesn't get off the ground because it's too similar to GOTG, none of which is making any sense to me, as I can't find any evidence that Disney has greenlit the film and certainly not as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, of which AL was never a part of.

He tells me that not doing the deal is probably for the best in the long run, as people should never exceed their budget when it comes to buying this stuff. (thumbsu

51 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

No judgments, just relaying my experience today with him.  He had a Cirocco/Austin Alien Legion house ad original listed at $3750.  No one cares about this series, as evidenced by all the 2 and 3 figure art sales from it.  But, I have fond memories from back in the day of the series, so, I make him an offer of $3300 for it. I figure if it was Cirocco alone, it's maybe worth $1500, with Austin maybe $2500-3000. But, seeing as how cranky he sounded from this thread, and how he considers this piece to be historically important (ummm...), I added 10% to what I thought was the high end of the range to see if we can get a deal done. 

He gets back to me and says that the series has been greenlit for a film by Disney and that the price he listed undervalues the piece, so, no deal.  I do some digging online and can only find news stories from 2009-10 regarding the series being optioned for a film (not by Disney) and nothing after that. 

I figured if the guy is hung up on the movie angle, which sounded dubious to me and which IDGAF about, fine - I think about it for a while and then tell him I can't find anything more recent than 2010 regarding the film, but, OK, I'll pay the full boat of $3750 if that's what it takes. 

He gets back to me and says he's already raised the price (to $4500 I learn) on his website and 2 other locations (CAF and somewhere else presumably), so, again, no deal. I refreshed his website before I sent my second email and it was still $3750 at the time (a number of hours have elapsed by this point).  He also says something about how he thinks Marvel is trying to decide how this fits in with their universe and maybe it doesn't get off the ground because it's too similar to GOTG, none of which is making any sense to me, as I can't find any evidence that Disney has greenlit the film and certainly not as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, of which AL was never a part of.

He tells me that not doing the deal is probably for the best in the long run, as people should never exceed their budget when it comes to buying this stuff. (thumbsu

At any time in the exchange did he tell you he had to ask his brother ?

8 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

FWIW, if the price was agreeable and I liked what I saw in the 8 pages I would have taken the risk --after getting an email from the seller that the other pages were of similar quality (ie, no half finished pages etc.) and that if there are material condition issues to any of the pages that I could return them all (and I likely also would have asked for scans of any other splashes and the endpage).

8 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

I hear what you are saying but his response was rude. He wrote that the possibility of me seeing the other pages “was not going to happen.”

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

He tells me that not doing the deal is probably for the best in the long run,

It's taking all of my willpower not to email him about something that I have no intention of buying from him just so I can watch his mental gymnastics! Everybody needs a hobby, right? (shrug)

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:

This is a pretty comprehensive and compelling account.  Sometimes when I'm reading threads along the lines we're responding to, I don't want to jump to conclusions and am left wondering what the dealer might have to say in his own defence (there being two sides to a story, and all that).  With Gene's account of trying to deal with the same guy, yeah, it does help confirm that the dealer's been acting like a d*ck in the way he does business.

Edited by The Voord

13 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

For what it's worth, I hate scanning large groups of pages too, and I do it for a living!  If I wanted to quickly send some images, I'd just lay out the pages on the floor and take a couple of phone camera pics.  It would be easy and enough to make a sale IMHO.

That’s what came to mind as I read this as well. Lay them out in a group or groups of 5-6 per shot. No worries about reusing the scan and not much work. I totally get the notion of scanning art being a pain – and explains why most of my collection is not on CAF and the art that is comes from a crappy camera picture (unless artist provides a nice scan).

8 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

It's taking all of my willpower not to email him about something that I have no intention of buying from him just so I can watch his mental gymnastics! Everybody needs a hobby, right? (shrug)

You and me both. We should get into a bidding war on something. 

Great post Gene - very entertaining

4 hours ago, The Voord said:

This is a pretty comprehensive and compelling account.  Sometimes when I'm reading threads along the lines we're responding to, I don't want to jump to conclusions and am left wondering what the dealer might have to say in his own defence (there being two sides to a story, and all that).  With Gene's account of trying to deal with the same guy, yeah, it does help confirm that the dealer's been acting like a d*ck in the way he does business.

Wow, this guy sounds like the type that goes:  If someone wants it, it's worth more than I thought!  Time to double the price!

Reminds me a bit of the underpants gnomes from South Park, they have about the same business model:

Step 1: Steal Underpants

Step 2:

Step 3: Profit!