• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JACK KIRBY FORGED SILVER SURFER ART SCAM

10 posts in this topic

Just came across this so called Jack Kirby Silver Surfer sketch on Instagram, which was purchased not too long ago off eBay! The second I saw it I could tell it was a fake, and after doing more research, I found the actual image Kirby drew which must have been used for reference. Although I'm almost 99% certain the sketch is fake, Kirby's signature seems alright, meaning it could have been someone's fan art which they later got signed by Jack, but the signature could be fake too. Funny enough, the person who ended up purchasing the sketch for a "steal" was the same person that was selling forged art from J Scott Campbell, Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, and other well known artists, many of them called the seller out, confirming the signatures and sketches were fake (link to article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01/liefeld-mcfarlane-forged-original-art/ )  I'm not sure if she plans on selling this or adding it to her collection of forged sketches, but I almost feel bad for her, time after time again she is getting ripped off, and constantly buying artwork which is obviously fake! Could only take a couple minutes of research to see through the scam, but maybe she's just too lazy to do so. Here's the original eBay  listing; https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-KIRBY-Hand-Signed-Autographed-Original-SILVER-SURFER-Art-w-COA/183379669854?hash=item2ab247b35e:g:1tYAAOSwr85bYj-Q

982322803_FullSizeRender(3).jpg.92e0e68d13556dc39a87a8588b5f3a10.jpg704001022_FullSizeRender(4).thumb.jpg.69928456a5be69942816180c9c2aa665.jpg

21 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

Just came across this so called Jack Kirby Silver Surfer sketch on Instagram, which was purchased not too long ago off eBay! The second I saw it I could tell it was a fake, and after doing more research, I found the actual image Kirby drew which must have been used for reference. Although I'm almost 99% certain the sketch is fake, Kirby's signature seems alright, meaning it could have been someone's fan art which they later got signed by Jack, but the signature could be fake too. Funny enough, the person who ended up purchasing the sketch for a "steal" was the same person that was selling forged art from J Scott Campbell, Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, and other well known artists, many of them called the seller out, confirming the signatures and sketches were fake (link to article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01/liefeld-mcfarlane-forged-original-art/ )  I'm not sure if she plans on selling this or adding it to her collection of forged sketches, but I almost feel bad for her, time after time again she is getting ripped off, and constantly buying artwork which is obviously fake! Could only take a couple minutes of research to see through the scam, but maybe she's just too lazy to do so. Here's the original eBay  listing; https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-KIRBY-Hand-Signed-Autographed-Original-SILVER-SURFER-Art-w-COA/183379669854?hash=item2ab247b35e:g:1tYAAOSwr85bYj-Q

That auction didn’t sell on ebay. It was relisted and just ended yesterday. Don’t know if this link will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-KIRBY-Hand-Signed-Autographed-Original-SILVER-SURFER-Art-w-COA-/183388166244?item=183388166244&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=cI5PWQO9aUhB%2BuJxxZYwesa8SyY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

That's odd? On her original post it showed a screenshot of the Silver surfer sketch for $500. Bit confused now...

I think I saw this at the Ultimate Comic Art and Collectibles Show in L.A. a couple of days before SDCC. I was in the original art room looking through a stack of autographs and came upon it. I think the price was $500. The signature seemed like it could be authentic but the drawing looked questionable to me and after looking at everything else I moved on. There was an elderly man behind the table who was very nice while I perused the items but I didn't ask if they were his or if he was just minding the store for someone else. I kind of thought it was the latter. Maybe someone got Jack's autograph on a blank paper and then added a fake drawing later? I really couldn't say for sure.

5 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

On IG: Someone was questioning the authenticity of the art, and she said she'd get it "authenticated" by a 3rd party.  When asked who authenticates art, she talked about PSA (I think thats the company) and then talked about how the person didn't understand how they did more than signatures....

shadey AF!

I believe I know who you're talking about, he messaged me screenshots of his comments (I'm blocked by her so I couldn't see) some of them were pretty funny, but true. I'm just shocked that only a couple people in the comments actually see through that fake! Everyone else is commenting congrats and actually believe it's real even after her last scandal!?:screwy: Makes no sense...

13 hours ago, thecollectron said:

I think I saw this at the Ultimate Comic Art and Collectibles Show in L.A. a couple of days before SDCC. I was in the original art room looking through a stack of autographs and came upon it. I think the price was $500. The signature seemed like it could be authentic but the drawing looked questionable to me and after looking at everything else I moved on. There was an elderly man behind the table who was very nice while I perused the items but I didn't ask if they were his or if he was just minding the store for someone else. I kind of thought it was the latter. Maybe someone got Jack's autograph on a blank paper and then added a fake drawing later? I really couldn't say for sure.

There could be a couple possibilitys, as you said before, Jack could have signed the piece of paper prior to the sketch being added to it. Or, it could have been someone's fan art which they got Kirby to sign in person. The signature does look ok to me, but definitely not the art.