• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper BACK covers
2 2

54 posts in this topic

As a collector of both comics and vintage games I really enjoy all the video game related ads in books and back covers from the early 80s to the early/mid 90s.  

Rake a closer look at some of your books from this era , there’s a lot of great ads from classic games.   Attached, I recently received a nice little package of thanks from Tom Dubois who signed his Castlevania 3 ad (he was also the box artist for the actual game box) that I thought I would share.  

Please post your cool copper back covers and ads :)

542D5EA1-F540-421B-B178-43F81B19EA05.jpeg

Edited by Bronty

There are a TON of great video game back covers from this era.

Just off the top of my head, I would say that well over 50% of the back covers for comics published from 1982-ish to 1996 were for video games.

They replaced the basektball, baseball, Slim Jim, and even movie back cover ads of the 70s.

Here's a classic that appeared on the back cover of Mar, 1983 books, including ASM #238 and New Mutants #1:

Scan81.jpg

Useless (?) trivia dept.: So Marvel reprinted GI Joe #3, #4 and #5, but didn't note it anywhere on the books. #3 and #5 have obvious tells, but the only way to tell if you have a second print #4 is to either compare the font in the price box of the original and the reprint...or look at the back cover ads:

33155764712_f61a12c711_b.jpg

That's the back cover to the first print of GI Joe #4...

...and the second is the Jedi Arena pictured above!

Edited by RockMyAmadeus