• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My eBay pet peeve - Sellers with Best Offer Options who don't want to negotiate
1 1

116 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Making an offer is a GREAT way to have a seller check a price that he/she wouldn't normally have done. If the item is underpriced....buy it. Don't try and haggle..just buy it.

I've had books that people tried to haggle, and I saw it was selling for quite a bit more than my ask...they get mad, and my response is "you should have bought it while you had the chance."

And I've also sold books that had become underpriced, and the buyer wisely bought it outright, instead of trying for an even better deal.

Oops.

BIN all day if I find one of these. in the bathroom, in a meeting with the boss, cutting the grass, in the middle of intimacy with the woman, during takeoff when all portable electronic devices are supposed to be powered off, while defusing nuclear warheads, at the superbowl durine the comeback winning drive, or from a hospital before life saving surgery if I get an eBay alert for an underpriced htf book, I will stop whatever I'm doing and hit BIN after checking photos and description for condition.

2 hours ago, justafan said:

BIN all day if I find one of these. in the bathroom, in a meeting with the boss, cutting the grass, in the middle of intimacy with the woman, during takeoff when all portable electronic devices are supposed to be powered off, while defusing nuclear warheads, at the superbowl durine the comeback winning drive, or from a hospital before life saving surgery if I get an eBay alert for an underpriced htf book, I will stop whatever I'm doing and hit BIN after checking photos and description for condition.

It's your choice, but my guess is that "the woman" would be "the wife" if you weren't shopping Ebay:shy:

It goes both ways.. your 10% off was certainly a fair and reasonable offer. He's being silly with the 2% stuff, I agree. But I've had people looking for 50-85% off and get very huffy when you don't give in and try to bully you. Some guy got very aggressive when he thought he was negotiating with my wife. I guess he thought he could bully a woman over the internet? Anyway, that sh*t got shut down. 

I try to make a reasonable first offer, but I don't base it on a percentage. Depending how badly I want the book, I try to offer an amount somewhere close to the asking price, but a little less than I think the seller will take. Not insulting, but not quite realistic either, although there have been times my offer was accepted. Usually in that case it's because I have multiple offers with the seller or other books in my cart. I would hope that every seller would treat each transaction independently or just not use the Make Offer option. Not all of us are trying to scam you. Half the posts I read by sellers give the impression that potential customers are pests instead of the lifeblood of your businesses. That's my observation, at least.

I'll usually accept any REASONABLE offers on my BIN auctions. All my auctions are free shipping anywhere in Canada and the USA. Lately though I've been getting silly offers like $20....I can't even ship for $20. Why a buyer would waste his time with that offer is beyond me.

Here is a recent email I received on a $1.999.00 book. 

Hey Be putting together a few comics as children's gifts
Single parent, do you wanna sell your comic book?
How's $1050.00 shipped direct
Thnks!!!

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's my disaster story here:

I don't know if we all see the same thing,  but I love the random pictures that shown in embedded threads sometimes :grin:

On 9/6/2018 at 4:37 PM, icp004 said:

I recently placed three offers on an item I wanted and all were declined.  Nearly a month later it was sold for less than the lowest of my offers!  ???

Sometimes eBay offers top performing sellers a discount on seller fees. I recently received a promotion that capped my seller fee at 20 dollars if my item sold for at least 200 dollars. The promotion was only active for 30 days though. That could have been the case with the seller you're referring to

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Here is a recent email I received on a $1.999.00 book. 

Hey Be putting together a few comics as children's gifts
Single parent, do you wanna sell your comic book?
How's $1050.00 shipped direct
Thnks!!!

Must be an epidemic going around.

I was recently asked if I could lower the price of a book because the prospective buyer was "broke." 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Must be an epidemic going around.

I was recently asked if I could lower the price of a book because the prospective buyer was "broke." 

Was it Humpty Dumpty?