• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lloyd Bailey fund raising sales thread.
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Friends and fellow collectors.  I'm sure many of you (especially those who collect CGC Signature Series books) know Lloyd Bailey.  He resides in the U.K. and has been a friend to anyone who collects comics and autograph memorabilia.  He and his family have come under very hard times recently because of legal issues stemming from a local city council declaring that he is responsible to do repairs on a wall that is not part of his property.  The legal costs to defend himself has turned his life upside down.  His family has started a JustGiving charity page to help Lloyd and his wife with legal fees.  Below is a link to this page and it gives a summary of Lloyd's current circumstances.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dangerouswall

Lloyd is one of the nicest people I know and many in our collecting community share the same feelings.  I have set up this sales thread to help him with his legal costs to defend himself against a very unfair situation.  Lloyd could end up losing his home.  I have always found our community a very generous and caring one.  If you can help Lloyd in anyway, please do so.  Below is a link to the sales thread.  Please take a moment to look at the items being offered for sale or if you can, post an item to sell.  If you wish to just make a donation, you can do so by going to Lloyd's JustGiving page.  Thank You.

Link to Sales Thread:  

I'm not sure if it goes without saying, but if anybody has any specific questions at all about the position myself and my family are in, please don't hesitate to message me.  Again, thank you to everybody taking an interest and helping me.  It's a horrible situation and one I never imagined myself and my family in.

We whole heartily appreciate you all 

On 8/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, Triston Pence said:

Friends and fellow collectors.  I'm sure many of you (especially those who collect CGC Signature Series books) know Lloyd Bailey.  He resides in the U.K. and has been a friend to anyone who collects comics and autograph memorabilia.  He and his family have come under very hard times recently because of legal issues stemming from a local city council declaring that he is responsible to do repairs on a wall that is not part of his property.  The legal costs to defend himself has turned his life upside down.  His family has started a JustGiving charity page to help Lloyd and his wife with legal fees.  Below is a link to this page and it gives a summary of Lloyd's current circumstances.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dangerouswall

Just clicked the link and read the whole story.

What a horrible situation for Lloyd and his family. Having this forced upon them by the local government is incredibly unfair.  

Doing the quick conversion, $20,000 just to defend themselves and another $120,000 if they lose. 

That's enough to torpedo the lives of most regular folks. 

Glad your stepped up Triston to help and I know that most boardies will take the time to read about the situation and put themselves in Lloyd's shoes for a minute and see how serious this is. 

Best, to Lloyd and his family. 

Just now, Jerkfro said:

Nice edit. :eyeroll:

Well I thought I was being a bit harsh because I think the OP poster made it sound like this fund is going for a 10-20k wall, however I still think this is bad form.  No one has cancer or is dying.  

Maybe many Americans should all have had gofundme accounts back in 2009 for the housing crisis. 

I think this is utterly a joke to ask people in the comic community to help on construction matter.  

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Well I thought I was being a bit harsh because I think the OP poster made it sound like this fund is going for a 10-20k wall, however I still think this is bad form.  No one has cancer or is dying.  

Maybe many Americans should all have had gofundme accounts back in 2009 for the housing crisis. 

I think this is utterly a joke to ask people in the comic community to help on construction matter.  

Well, as long as you didn't want to come off as harsh......

2 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Are you aware this is an elevated retaining wall and it is not retaining my land? This is not simply a wall.  Are you aware I am being demanded to rebuild not only the wall but the entire rear of the elevated garden that is cracked and compromised.  This is not simply ‘a construction matter’.  This is simply not my home and clearly not my responsibility.

Are you suggesting that is normal and fair?

Are you also aware this is a dangerous retaining wall labelled as a dangerous structure and the entire wall/garden above is falling into my home... my sons bedroom is located in the path of this, and it has already impacted my garden and next will be the whole thing that has been expressed by the Council themselves as ‘liable to collapse’.

This to me is a serious health and danger issue and is effecting us all tremendously.  It clearly needs to be resolved and it is as simple as the home owners either protecting the owner or not wanting to pay to do emergency works that they initially promised they would undertake. These are criminal proceedings bought against me and the legal fees are destroying my life and my friend has kindly attempted to gather some support from the comic community as most of you here know me.

I kindly said above, if you have any questions feel free to ask, but I didn’t ask to be judged. If you don’t like it, then don’t support us.

Thank you for your common sense and humanity @comix4fun

Obviously it is very complex and ultimately I am needing to defend myself and financially this is destroying our lives. It is not simple construction work that is our responsibility. Would you like to live under a dangerous structure and be demanded to fix your neighbors property?

This is a hyperthetical question. Please have some humanity before you go judging us. We’re tax payers and clearly victims in this nightmare situation.

Thank you for reading. 

Edited by LloydJBailey

3 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

+2 WTTB

Asking for financial help on a property matter is joke.

Not what i was referring too but thanks for playing.  Hope everything works out for Lloyd

It may assist if some info and numbers are clarified.

The Council informed the public in Dec.2013 that the Council would undertake the work. Did they state it would do so at the expense of the Council?

The council confirmed this information to you in early 2014. Did they confirm they would pay?

Is there an official document of nay nature that clearly states who/what entity will be paying?

The link states there are 7 homes....all residents.... that received a Bill for a Report. The report states that the wall repair is 90,000.00? Is that total, or is it to be divided by 7?

Are there any other unoccupied lots (meaning no houses) that belong to absent owners?

The 3,000.00 present legal cost...is that divided by 7, or is that the share for each of the 7 homes?

The projected 12,000.00 legal cost to get to the Nov. trial date......is that divided by 7, or is that the hare for each of the 7 homes?

Is the barrister representing all families, or just you? 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

It may assist if some info and numbers are clarified.

The Council informed the public in Dec.2013 that the Council would undertake the work. Did they state it would do so at the expense of the Council?

Under Section 78 of the Building Act 1984, the Council promised in a notice to address the required safety works by default.

The council confirmed this information to you in early 2014. Did they confirm they would pay?

As above.

Is there an official document of nay nature that clearly states who/what entity will be paying?

It would appear they did not like the costings and simply changed there minds and it would also appear they decided to claim we were responsible in an act to diminish responsibilities.

The link states there are 7 homes....all residents.... that received a Bill for a Report. The report states that the wall repair is 90,000.00? Is that total, or is it to be divided by 7?

The other homes are not in the same danger as my home and my neighbors whom have a different property to the rear of our houses. My neighbor has not been taken to court. Only myself.

Are there any other unoccupied lots (meaning no houses) that belong to absent owners?

No.

The 3,000.00 present legal cost...is that divided by 7, or is that the share for each of the 7 homes?

The £3k was the legal costings to the hearing, which has now passed. It is only myself whom has been taken to court under ‘criminal proceedings’.

The projected 12,000.00 legal cost to get to the Nov. trial date......is that divided by 7, or is that the hare for each of the 7 homes?

Again, it is only myself whom is being taken to court.

Is the barrister representing all families, or just you? 

See above.

I don’t wish to get any more into it as legal proceedings are underway so if you have any questions at all. Please contact me privately :)

Thank you taking an interest.

Lloyd

I have follow on questions: what is the status of property insurance coverage, both your home and the contested structure?

Has there been a Title search, and a Plat review and if so, what do the documents reveal?

The other homeowners (I guess 6, + any non-occupied lots)...what is the status of their property insurance/Plat review and Title search?

What does the Deed state....yours and the other property owners?

What do the mortgage documents state, yours and the other property owners? 

Have mortgage companies been notified...yours and the other property owners?

Are you the latest purchaser of property in the dispute?

Edited by Mr.Mcknowitall
Timeliness of post.

1 minute ago, LloydJBailey said:

Under Section 78 of the Building Act 1984, the Council promised in a notice to address the required safety works by default.

As above.

It would appear they did not like the costings and simply changed there minds and it would also appear they decided to claim we were responsible in an act to diminish responsibilities.

The other homes are not in the same danger as my home and my neighbors whom have a different property to the rear of our houses. My neighbor has not been taken to court. Only myself.

No.

The £3k was the legal costings to the hearing, which has now passed. It is only myself whom has been taken to court under ‘criminal proceedings’.

Again, it is only myself whom is being taken to court.

See above.

I don’t wish to get any more into it as legal proceedings are underway so if you have any questions at all. Please contact me privately :)

Thank you taking an interest.

Lloyd

Thank you. I have one heck of a lot of questions, starting with suits against all property owners originally notified, all council members individually, your mortgage company, the researcher of your Deed and the Plat, and.....not being familiar with the barrister or his work/performance to date....if the barrister has not considered these counters.....the barrister.

I will refrain, for now, from questioning further.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I have follow on questions: what is the status of property insurance coverage, both your home and the contested structure?

Has there been a Title search, and a Plat review and if so, what do the documents reveal?

The other homeowners (I guess 6, + any non-occupied lots)...what is the status of their property insurance/Plat review and Title search?

What does the Deed state....yours and the other property owners?

What do the mortgage documents state, yours and the other property owners? 

Have mortgage companies been notified...yours and the other property owners?

Are you the latest purchaser of property in the dispute?

I think my follow on questions were at the same time you were posting concerning my original questions, and thus I did not see your post re. private contact of any other questions. So, answer the follow-ons as you like, here or by Pm, or not at all. If nothing else, I hope I may have assisted in the thinking cap expanding a bit.