• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC ART CON NYC EDITION (PICS)
1 1

113 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Or was it?

Vis-à-vis the large cache of DC art that was ripped off:

"An anonymous art collector said at the time, also in the fanzine, "The plan was simple.  Have a friend on the moving crew 'misplace' a flat of artwork. Later, if it was discovered missing, it could easily be found without getting in trouble. If no one noticed it was missing, it was just taken away later.  Certain staff members had decided to rip-off some of the pages, and it was an inside job.

[...]

According to an inventory done later, a reported 1928 pages of original art and covers were stolen and soon made their way onto the open market.  The first time the art appeared is when the thief attended a New York convention and began selling pages to dealers, most of whom have since sold that art for very large profits."

https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012/05/joe-simon-fbi-and-strange-case-of.html

This has nothing to do with the Marvel art, which was taken in the early 80s and sold immediately.

We can all agree on 90% of the facts. But the real truth is Joe Kennedy’s ghost stole the pages, but decided to sell them on in order to get some hookers and blow! He’d been in the grave a long time, ya know.

He, his son Jack and the shooter from the grassy knoll all were in on it together.

It must be true, and I’m willing to repeat nonsense over and over in this thread for days until you all give up, and I assume I must have been right all along!

Shooter's blog:

"Around about early 1978, Marvel’s warehouse got broken into and ransacked. Other than scattering artwork all over the floor–they apparently hadn’t taken any of it that we could tell–but this warehouse was a dump! It was completely unsafe; anybody could break in there. I went to the people that ran the warehouse and said, “I want that artwork all moved to my office.” So it was. You should’ve seen it. It was me in a little corner, and wall-to-wall files full of art, because my office was the safest place in the building. You had to go through three doors to get to my office: The front door, the door to the editorial suite, and then my door, and I was the only one who had a key. It was safer there than it was in the warehouse.

Then when Marvel moved, around the end of 1979, we got a brand new state-of-the-art safe warehouse, so the stuff was moved from my office to the new warehouse; except for one box, which for some reason was moved to the Marvel lunchroom. When I was made aware of that, I went to get Bernie, the office manager, and said, “That box goes to the warehouse right now!” I went back to my office, then Bernie came in a few minutes later and said he went to get the box and it wasn’t there. Somebody had obviously grabbed the box, went straight out to the freight elevator–which was near there–and was gone. I have no idea what it contained. There was probably Jack Kirby’s stuff in it among other things. To this day I have no idea who took it."

http://jimshooter.com/2011/03/mystery-of-missing-box-of-marve.html/

20 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

We can all agree on 90% of the facts. But the real truth is Joe Kennedy’s ghost stole the pages, but decided to sell them on in order to get some hookers and blow!

Speaking of hookers and blow, given that this is the Comic Art Con NYC Edition thread, any comments from attendees about the hookers soliciting out front of the show venue? :popcorn: 

(I'm not joking). :eek: 

Edited by delekkerste

9 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Shooter's blog:

"Around about early 1978, Marvel’s warehouse got broken into and ransacked. Other than scattering artwork all over the floor–they apparently hadn’t taken any of it that we could tell–but this warehouse was a dump! It was completely unsafe; anybody could break in there. I went to the people that ran the warehouse and said, “I want that artwork all moved to my office.” So it was. You should’ve seen it. It was me in a little corner, and wall-to-wall files full of art, because my office was the safest place in the building. You had to go through three doors to get to my office: The front door, the door to the editorial suite, and then my door, and I was the only one who had a key. It was safer there than it was in the warehouse.

Then when Marvel moved, around the end of 1979, we got a brand new state-of-the-art safe warehouse, so the stuff was moved from my office to the new warehouse; except for one box, which for some reason was moved to the Marvel lunchroom. When I was made aware of that, I went to get Bernie, the office manager, and said, “That box goes to the warehouse right now!” I went back to my office, then Bernie came in a few minutes later and said he went to get the box and it wasn’t there. Somebody had obviously grabbed the box, went straight out to the freight elevator–which was near there–and was gone. I have no idea what it contained. There was probably Jack Kirby’s stuff in it among other things. To this day I have no idea who took it."

http://jimshooter.com/2011/03/mystery-of-missing-box-of-marve.html/

Has nothing to do with the much, much larger ransacking of the Marvel warehouse in the early 80s.

And you really should be on some sort of medication.

9 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Speaking of hookers and blow, given that this is the Comic Art Con NYC Edition thread, any comments from attendees about the hookers soliciting out front of the show venue? :popcorn: 

I'm told prices were well above FMV but negotiable, particularly for older inventory...huge premiums for fresh material and, at the top end, several A+ pieces had no prices at all.  lol

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

Has nothing to do with the much, much larger ransacking of the Marvel warehouse in the early 80s.

And you really should be on some sort of medication.

The "much, much larger" ransacking of the more secure Marvel warehouse in the early 80's that Jim Shooter never heard of? 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I always leave too early. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've got the picture to prove it as they were hanging out right in front when I was getting dropped off, with their friend on the next corner.  They didn't stay long though as apparently everyone only had eyes for the art.

And they did have some mileage on them.

Edited by Ironmandrd

Does Bechara have an asking price on the ASM 6 page?  Also, does anyone have any opinion on the inking?  I am asking because I have never seen a page from this issue and I recall someone commenting that another page from issue 6 had lousy inking.  Please PM me if appropriate.  Thanks in advance for any response.

20 minutes ago, inovrmihd said:

Does Bechara have an asking price on the ASM 6 page?  Also, does anyone have any opinion on the inking?  I am asking because I have never seen a page from this issue and I recall someone commenting that another page from issue 6 had lousy inking.  Please PM me if appropriate.  Thanks in advance for any response.

I don't have any knowledge of the inking but per the earlier postings, it wasn't for sale and had no asking price.

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Marvel

Junkie thieves

Brad Savage

Bechara + Greg Manning Auctions

Kirk Hammett

Bill Wheatley 

Broken up at auction

JFK Blown Away 

What Else Does Gene Have To Say

We Didn’t Start the Fire

I'm really interested in how these two junkies got the idea in the first place to break into the Marvel warehouse? Out of everything they could have picked they chose that and taking oa that many people didn't see as valuable? Really makes me wonder if these two had been involved in comics in anyway that might have influenced them into picking it.

9 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I'm really interested in how these two junkies got the idea in the first place to break into the Marvel warehouse? Out of everything they could have picked they chose that and taking oa that many people didn't see as valuable? Really makes me wonder if these two had been involved in comics in anyway that might have influenced them into picking it.

Alas, we'll never know. I heard the first junkie OD'ed and died in 1984, while the second one was killed with an ice pick in Mexico by a Cabal assassin in 1991. 

So how many hookers does it take to pry the FF cover from Bechara?  I assume it was half cash, half trade? :baiting:

I hope everyone that attended or set up enjoyed themselves.  Since this thread has been hijacked, it's time to move on.

Cheers !

N.

13 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Curious why you think that?  What is your understanding of the succession of ownership?

From what I've known of the x-men 1 book,  If Bechara did own it way back when,  he never showed it to anyone i know... and i know bechara fairly well and have for almost 30 years. If now people say he co-owned it as a partner with greg manning auctions as stated earlier.......ok.....

Edited by romitaman

13 hours ago, Mephisto said:

JFK Blown Away 

What Else Does Gene Have To Say

We Didn’t Start the Fire

It was always burning since the world's been turning.

Edited by The Voord