• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF5 *** Grade is in ***

24 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four #5 lays flat, nice gloss, healthy spine with both staples attached to cover and centerfold. 

Main drawback is chunk out of top front cover about 1.25" by 0.75" at the widest and tallest, some staining top right cover, and small chunk out of the top of back cover. 

ff5_f.jpg

ff5_b.jpg

Edited by ned
add details

Anything larger than a 1/2 inch piece out of the cover keeps you solidly out of VG (3.0).  That missing piece is much larger than 1/2 inch and there's also the smaller back cover piece.  A shame as 75% of that book looks in the VF range.

Grade: 2.0 - but that is one fine looking GD 2.0 book 

8 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm gonna guess a 3.0. The spine looks great as well as the edges, moreso than the Heritage 3.0 copy. I don't see why it cant grade the same.

Wow.

After seeing that copy, I completely understand your grade. Not only does the 3.0 have a big piece missing, the tear extends out from both sides of the missing piece.

I thought I was pushing it at 2.5...

8 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Wow.

After seeing that copy, I completely understand your grade. Not only does the 3.0 have a big piece missing, the tear extends out from both sides of the missing piece.

No one is really wrong with their guesses, not saying I am 100% right as long as nobody grades it like an 8.0 or something xD  Yes, there is a huge piece missing on the front cover which is a distraction and can sometimes lead one to automatically give it a much lower grade without looking at the book as a whole including the back cover.  I'd say the bottom half of the book (front and back) looks high grade in the VFish range, the top half is where all the problems are including the stains.  But yeah, I am sticking with my guess. 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Wow.

Maybe CGC thought the missing piece was less obvious at the bottom and got a bump. However, in a previous thread discussing BC vs FC flaws, they have claimed to treat all flaws the same, no matter where they are located. I'm sorry that HA book is not a 3.0 and we should not use it for comparison grading.

14 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm gonna guess a 3.0. The spine looks great as well as the edges, moreso than the Heritage 3.0 copy. I don't see why it cant grade the same.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Maybe CGC thought the missing piece was less obvious at the bottom and got a bump. However, in a previous thread discussing BC vs FC flaws, they have claimed to treat all flaws the same, no matter where they are located. I'm sorry that HA book is not a 3.0 and we should not use it for comparison grading.

Although I found the example, I do agree with Bob, hence why I went 2,5.  It is in all respects an anomaly amongst all other copies graded at 3.0. If it was submitted for regrading now, I think it would finish at a 2.0

33 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

From my viewing, it's not your imagination. I see at least three (3) missing pieces that were not there when in comparison to the original picture.

Joe

I would love to hear the story on how this is possible of what happened between the original scan and grading ?