• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masking tape?

10 posts in this topic

I just received a DPS in the mail and I recalled reading here about the damage masking tape glue can have to paper over time. I'm not 100% sure this is masking tape, though it sure looks like it and shows yellowing on the back. Is there any advice or opinions on a) If it is masking tape and b) If it is, should I remove it? Assuming I can do so without damaging the art, will removing it help?

Thanks!

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

3 hours ago, skrilla1212 said:

Is there any advice or opinions on a) If it is masking tape and b) If it is, should I remove it? Assuming I can do so without damaging the art, will removing it help?

Looks like masking tape. I would take it off, if it were mine. How old is the art?

Here are my previous comments about how to remove it. Scroll down this thread a bit--

Looks as though the tape is holding two separate pieces of artwork together.  If you can successfully remove the tape (which ought to be do-able) . . . they will no longer be held together in place.  So, by rectifying one problem, you'd then be faced with another (though I'm sure there are safer solutions to re-join them).

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

Looks as though the tape is holding two separate pieces of artwork together.  If you can successfully remove the tape (which ought to be do-able) . . . they will no longer be held together in place.  So, by rectifying one problem, you'd then be faced with another (though I'm sure there are safer solutions to re-join them).

I don’t think keeping them separate is a major problem. I just separate the two pieces and slip each one next to the other in an Itoya portfolio. You can also stitch 2 together in Photoshop, if you want the whole image.

24 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t think keeping them separate is a major problem. I just separate the two pieces and slip each one next to the other in an Itoya portfolio. You can also stitch 2 together in Photoshop, if you want the whole image.

Oh, sure, but if you want to frame the two pieces together then you have to consider keeping the two halves flush with one another and the surface area level.

4 hours ago, The Voord said:

There are archival, non-yellowing hinging tapes you can get for this. Or once you get the masking tape residue off, you can even use a short piece or two of modern removable Scotch tape in a pinch. That would still be less damaging and easier to remove.

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

There are archival, non-yellowing hinging tapes you can get for this. Or once you get the masking tape residue off, you can even use a short piece or two of modern removable Scotch tape in a pinch. That would still be less damaging and easier to remove.

Yes. I generally separate DPS pages and store them next to each other in an Itoya. I find that much more satisfying that folding them over and only being able to look at one half of the art at a time. You can still pull the out and put them together to look at them as a complete page. If you're going to frame them, you can use archival safe materials to reconnect them. It's not a big deal.

Looking at the photo, it looks like there's a bunch of adhesive residue on the back (the yellowing stuff).

Some adhesives get soft and sticky with age (or heat and a hair dryer), and some harden almost like amber. The photo makes yours look like the latter. A lot of masking tapes do this.

Do keep in mind that even with the glue residue removed from sight, some of the adhesive may have migrated into the paper fibers themselves. That's where having a good restorer comes in handy. But depending on the cost/value of the piece, that might be a step to far.

If it'll come off by itself, it's definitely not a bad idea to remove the tape backing. Be more careful with trying to remove that adhesive residue yourself. A gum eraser might work, but in some cases it may take fiber with the residue if it's bonded or crystalized into the fibers. If it's a really important piece, I'd reach out to a pro. If it's just a fun one for the collection, I'd leave the residue and just hope it doesn't leach through over time.