• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic restoration and pressing questions

10 posts in this topic

I am new to CGC and looking for some insight on restoration and pressing of comics. When I got my comic back it had a lower grade than expected. Finger binds were noted, creases, and color breaks on the spine and bottom of cover. Would comic pressing increase the grade? I am also considering restoration on the color breaks, does restoration affect the value of the comic or grade? 

Unless it's a very high dollar golden age book, I wouldn't get anything restored.  It all depends on what book you are talking about.  Pressing does not remove color breaks but depending on how deep, can affect the magnitude of the break.  If the note says a defect but not color break, there is a good chance it can be improved.  Generally speaking.

1 hour ago, Waylon_B said:

Here are some pics of the comic. I’m not sure why it got such a low grade. The imperfections mentioned in the grader notes are very small. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can't see the bottom in the pics. I would not restore this. It's a very common book. Unless you plan on keeping it for yourself, restoration on such a common book will make it lose a so much value, it would probably not sell. Without more pics of the full book, it's hard to say whether or not a press would help. The color breaks are there to stay. It's a matter of the creases. Looks like the book has had some fun. Keep it, enjoy it. McFarlane's sig always looks nice.

44 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Can't see the bottom in the pics. I would not restore this. It's a very common book. Unless you plan on keeping it for yourself, restoration on such a common book will make it lose a so much value, it would probably not sell. Without more pics of the full book, it's hard to say whether or not a press would help. The color breaks are there to stay. It's a matter of the creases. Looks like the book has had some fun. Keep it, enjoy it. McFarlane's sig always looks nice.

I agree. Sound advice. Leave it as is. Pressing isn't going to make that significant a difference and color touching it will kill the value of a Copper/Modern age book. It's an attractive and desirable piece as is, better left as is

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm looking at his pics and those creases are color breaking, pretty deep too.

+1. And there's enough creases that fracture the color, that even if finger bends and impressions can be rectified, IMO, it's not going to improve it beyond where it grades now.

Edited by James J Johnson