• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are My Dad’s Old Comics Still Valuable? Silver age?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

My dad used to read comics a lot and so my guess was that these were all well loved and poorly stored but I wanted to know if their is any value besides sentiment in the following list of comics:

The invincible Iron Man   67

Marvel Tales       3, 50

Dynamo               2

Justice League of America             86

Ghostly Tales      89

Strange Tales      144, 159, 161, 162, 163, 165, 166, 168

Dr. Strange          180

Captain Marvel  3, 6

Marvel Team-up               90

Worlds Finest     222

Sgt. Fury              29

Superman            249

Kid Colt Outlaw  181

The Avengers      26, 33-39, 41-46, 48, 53, 56, 58, 61

The Mighty Avengers       65, 66

Fantastic Four Special      4-7

Fantastic Four    49, 51, 53, 54, 56-61, 63, 65, 67, 68, 76, 78, 79, 80, 82, 83, 84, 87, 88, 94, 95, 120

The Silver Surfer 2, 6, 7, 10

Nick Fury Agent of SHEILD             1, 2, 4, 6, 9

The X-Men          18, 25 ,29 ,35, 45, 57

The Amazing Spider-man Special 4

The Amazing Spider-man               21, 39, 40, 42, 45-47, 49, 54, 55, 57, 63

Tales of Suspense             80-82, 84, 85, 87, 89, 91, 92, 94, 96, 98

Tales to Astonish              81, 82, 84

Spider-Woman   24

Captain America               102, 104, 105, 107, 109-111, 113, 127, 128, 135, 138, 141, 142, 144, 146, 152, 154, 157-160, 162, 163

Here Comes… Daredevil  13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 22-27, 29-31, 33, 34, 41

Here Comes… Daredevil Special   1

The Flash             179

Not Brand Echh  4

Spectacular Spiderman Magazine               2

I am new to this forum, and was only able to upload two pictures of a couple covers, I would say that none of the comics are any worse than the two pictures I attached. Someone offered me 450 for what I listed and was wondering if that is as good as it will get.

Any input would be appreciated on if any of my comics should be appraised by CGC or if they are all just best left to be sold as raw someday.

959870DC-9534-48A3-8E36-6263CFADDAF5.thumb.jpeg.992b80cd7949517f647472b0a300f675.jpegD0B292E2-C57C-41C2-8E53-AF3A44A3C2D3.thumb.jpeg.04a99339a63889d6a74a40b2f33947f2.jpeg

4EA17ADD-9945-41BE-96DF-445741C7A38A.thumb.jpeg.37ebed448634b0a2e7e9dad718c93f83.jpegA3DAD500-6756-419D-96E6-56BA40D1955F.thumb.jpeg.63f94ef948fb064a35db3a5b74264ed1.jpeg

Once again, I have no clue, but I believe these are some of the more noteworthy comics, but also possibly the worst condition. 

I just bought a couple hundred mylite2 fullbacks to put them all in. Thank you again for any input on if i should think about grading any or potential value since I am looking to sell them at some point. 

Edited by Kinkeen

there's some value, but that's relative to  everyone, and depends largely on condition.  You should take your list, and look up completed sales on EBAY to check the values.  Looks like an average condition would be 'very good' or 'vg' for most of these comics.  Whether or not they should be graded also depends largely on the condition.  You can try to look up price differences for graded vs raw copies on ebay as well.

Or you can go buy a price guide and look them up too, for raw at least.

These will just get you in the ball park on pricing.

I could be wrong, and someone may have other ideas, but I don't see any MEGA-KEYS jumping out.  If you don't already have a lot of knowledge or interest in comics, its probably easiest to just consign them to an auction house.  For a percentage, they will sell them for you.  You just send them in, then wait for the check a few months later.  Someone will probably be a long shortly to tell you which auction house they feel is most appropriate.

OF COURSE, if you put in your own effort to sell them yourself, you'll probably get better prices, but its probably not worth it unless you already have an existing pretty good ebay store and a love of comics. 

I would take the $450 in cash today for it, of course it depends at least somewhat on the condition of the comics not shown.  But if they're about the same, that seems fair.  They can still make some money, and you don't have to take the time to learn every damn thing to maximize your value.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Why did you buy a couple hundred mylites and fullback? Did you not list most of the books?

It was late at night that I made this list but I thought there was over 150 but less than 200 comics and I might need to double check to make sure I didn’t miss any, but they sell those bags and back by the 50 and so I figured 200 was a good amount. 

1 minute ago, revat said:

there's some value, but that's relative to  everyone, and depends largely on condition.  You should take your list, and look up completed sales on EBAY to check the values.  Looks like an average condition would be 'very good' or 'vg' for most of these comics.  Whether or not they should be graded also depends largely on the condition.  You can try to look up price differences for graded vs raw copies on ebay as well.

Or you can go buy a price guide and look them up too, for raw at least.

These will just get you in the ball park on pricing.

I could be wrong, and someone may have other ideas, but I don't see any MEGA-KEYS jumping out.  If you don't already have a lot of knowledge or interest in comics, its probably easiest to just consign them to an auction house.  For a percentage, they will sell them for you.  You just send them in, then wait for the check a few months later.  Someone will probably be a long shortly to tell you which auction house they feel is most appropriate.

OF COURSE, if you put in your own effort to sell them yourself, you'll probably get better prices, but its probably not worth it unless you already have an existing pretty good ebay store and a love of comics. 

I would take the $450 in cash today for it, of course it depends at least somewhat on the condition of the comics not shown.  But if they're about the same, that seems fair.  They can still make some money, and you don't have to take the time to learn every damn thing to maximize your value.

That makes a lot of sense. I am not hard pressed for money and so I don’t mind taking the time to research things and sell them out slowly. I appreciate your input and insight into my post, thank you. 

A couple of the books could be worth a couple hundred bucks each (FF 49, 51, ASM 39 and 40) BUT if they are in similar condition to the ones you posted, they definitely aren't worth grading and would probably only bring in like $4-500 total.  

6 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

A couple of the books could be worth a couple hundred bucks each (FF 49, 51, ASM 39 and 40) BUT if they are in similar condition to the ones you posted, they definitely aren't worth grading and would probably only bring in like $4-500 total.  

E1A6B979-4222-48E3-BABF-CB57E3B304F6.thumb.jpeg.d829fdc77028352ce192e0aa4525cf8c.jpeg967CCFA5-CB7F-4645-97DE-E9E56C3A701C.thumb.jpeg.98288b92ab2cbf3627c1af3bb714d858.jpeg

Yeah. They seem like similar condition. Thank you for your insight. 

Edited by Kinkeen

That's a nice, but rough 39.  I'd sell it as a g/vg.  Not sure what guide is going for on that right now.  My tip to you OP is to pick up the latest copy of Overstreet. https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/1603602216/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534960802&sr=1-1&keywords=overstreet+48 Look up each book, see the price for G (good) and VG (Very Good).  Take those two numbers, add them together, and divide by 2.  That would be what I would expect you to get per book.  

2 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

That's a nice, but rough 39.  I'd sell it as a g/vg.  Not sure what guide is going for on that right now.  My tip to you OP is to pick up the latest copy of Overstreet. https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/1603602216/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534960802&sr=1-1&keywords=overstreet+48 Look up each book, see the price for G (good) and VG (Very Good).  Take those two numbers, add them together, and divide by 2.  That would be what I would expect you to get per book.  

Thank you, I’ll pick up a copy to reference. 

22 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

I do not see any books worth a couple hundred books each.  The FF 49 looks about 2.0 - you may get $100 or so.  I think your grade range is between GOOD and VERY GOOD.  Why not just post them singly on ebay in NO-RESERVE 10-day auctions, with combined shipping?  I don't think any of these are worth sending to CGC for encapsulation.

Edited by Racer-X

5 minutes ago, Racer-X said:

I do not see any books worth a couple hundred books each.  The FF 49 looks about 2.0 - you may get $100 or so.  I think your grade range is between GOOD and VERY GOOD.  Why not just post them singly on ebay in NO-RESERVE 10-day auctions, with combined shipping?  I don't think any of these are worth sending to CGC for encapsulation.

Thank you, you think eBay is the best resource for selling them? Not on the forums here or anywhere else? Or is it because there is the potential of bidding wars on eBay if someone does really want a specific one?

12 minutes ago, Kinkeen said:

Thank you, you think eBay is the best resource for selling them? Not on the forums here or anywhere else? Or is it because there is the potential of bidding wars on eBay if someone does really want a specific one?

You could offer them here, but you'd have to post them with a BUY price.  I did a blind auction here once, where I posted pics and members submitted a offer each via private message; but "bidding" is not allowed here.  If you don't already have a price in mind, ebay would be the way to go.  Don't be afraid to start each auction at 99 cents.  They'll end up pretty much where they should be.  Note that your dad bought them off the newsstand (if that's the case).

Also make sure they have the correct # of pages (most from this era have 16 internal pages - but you can go to comics.org to check the annuals, etc.)  Also make sure there are no coupons cut out or any other internal blemishes that cover scans won't reveal.

I charge $5 for shipping for raw books, and ship up to 5 for the same price.  I ship in padded envelopes and use the "media mail" service, which is less than $3.  But media mail parcels are subject to being opened, and these really aren't media mail, so one takes his/her chances with that.

Edited by Racer-X

Another great resource is gpanalysis.com.  You have to pay for this website, but it lists a history of comic book sales for GRADED books (which do receive more than raw books, as they've been vetted and graded by professionals).  I find GPA to be more accurate re: estimated values than OSPG.  

46 minutes ago, Racer-X said:

I could have been more artful in my statement.  The list of books in THEMSELF could be worth a couple hundred bucks each (I.E. you could get a couple hundred bucks for an FF 49, or a FF 51) but as you and I both know, condition matters.  For them to be worth that much, they'd need to be F/VF or more likely VF.  These books are G/VG at best.

1 hour ago, Racer-X said:

Another great resource is gpanalysis.com.  You have to pay for this website, but it lists a history of comic book sales for GRADED books (which do receive more than raw books, as they've been vetted and graded by professionals).  I find GPA to be more accurate re: estimated values than OSPG.  

That’s good to know. I have some other comics that are in good shape that are probably modern from when I was a kid that I’ll be selling as well so this is very helpful. Thank you. 

I guess one more question would be, if decent bags and backs cost like 130 dollars and the collection itself is only like 500 max, would it be worth trying to preserve these comics for another 20 years or something, or just offload them and return the bags and backs because they will never be worth that much. 

I would be happy with $500 for all of them.  Could you get $600, $700?  Maybe.  More than that, maybe not.

He really loved those comics.  If your dad is still around, ask him which comic he loved the most, frame it for him and give him the framed comic as a "gift."